Best moisturizing productsWith temperatures dipping and heaters cranking up, skin moisture levels take a hit. Don't let your beauty products dry you out - these GHRI-tested creams, serums, cosmetics and lotions promise to treat your skin right.
1. CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless Serum Primer
A good primer can reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and pores, while still adding moisture and firming skin. Our 2012 Anti-Aging Award Silver Winner, CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless Serum Primer ($14, amazon.com), managed to do all that for less. It garnered the highest scores in our lab tests for moisturizing skin (even after six hours) and won over consumer testers with its light texture.
Related: Skincare Products That Help Stock the Clock
2. Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer SPF 30
It's easy to forget to slather on SPF when you're not heading out for a day at the beach, so instead reach for a moisturizer that already includes it, like Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Moisturizer with SPF 30 ($22,
Blog Posts by Good Housekeeping
- Good Housekeeping | Beauty – Tue, Oct 8, 2013 10:37 AM EDT
Best moisturizing productsWith temperatures dipping and heaters cranking up, skin moisture levels take a hit. Don't let your beauty products dry you out - these GHRI-tested creams, serums, cosmetics and lotions promise to treat your skin right.Read More »from Pamper Yourself with 9 Awesome Moisturizing Products
- Good Housekeeping | In The Pantry – Mon, Oct 7, 2013 11:28 AM EDT
Don't make these mistakes with your crockpot.Now that fall's officially here, we're craving warm roasts and comforting stews-but not the flavorless or overcooked kind. By avoiding the following mistakes while using your slow cooker, you can say goodbye to sub-par dinners and hello to the best-tasting stews around, just in time for the chillier weather.
1. Neglecting to brown meats
Browning meats in a skillet (or in the slow cooker's insert if it's stovetop safe) before programming the cook time will give your braise or stew heartier flavor.
Related: Enjoy Delicious Dinners on a Dime
2. Removing the lid during use
When slow cookers lose heat it takes them a long time to gain it back. Don't remove the lid until you have to.
3. Always using the same temperature and time settingsRelated: Mac-n-Cheese Recipes for Grown Ups
Your kitchen might not be a chemistry lab but a little experimentation may be necessary to get the best results. Try out a few combinations of temperature setting and cooking time to get it just right.
4. NotRead More »from The 5 Biggest Mistakes You Make when Using Your Slow Cooker
Healthy Makeover: CheesecakeMove over, New York cheesecake -- there's a newcomer in town. One that has fewer than half the calories and less than 60 percent of the fat, but still boasts the classic's luscious decadence. (A single NY slice saddles you with 20 grams of saturated fat; ours, a mere 7.) The sugary glaze is gone, in favor of fresh raspberries. And with no need to bake, it's a guilt-free treat any fast-moving city (or country) slicker could love.Read More »from No-Bake and Guilt-Free Cheesecake
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: 20 min
Related: 12 Ways to Cut Calories Without Sacrificing Flavor
- 24 reduced-fat vanilla wafers
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 envelope(s) unflavored gelatin
- 1 large lemon
- 3 tablespoon(s) water
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 2 package(s) (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- Raspberries, for garnish
Related: Keep the Oven Off! 8 Healthy No-Cook Recipes
1. Lightly coat
Crispy Kale White PizzaEven though it's covered in gooey cheese, you'll feel like you're getting a full serving of veggies in this green, kale-topped pie.Read More »from Meet Your New Favorite Way to Eat Kale
Related: Not a Pizza Fan? 7 Other Ways to Eat Kale
Yields: 4 main-dish servings
Total Time: 30 min
Oven Temp: 425
Related: 8 Pasta Recipes That WON'T Destroy Your Diet
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 1 large (12-inch) prebaked thin pizza crust
- 1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta
- 1/3 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can(s) (4-ounce) green chiles, chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 cup(s) grated part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 3 large leaves kale, tough ribs removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh tomato
Related: 14 Hearty Salads That Will Leave You Satisfied
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Brush large cookie sheet with
Make laundry day easier and quicker.
It's a day that everyone dreads: laundry day. But, armed with a few tricks of the trade, you can speed through this monotonous task. Just follow these 10 simple tips and soon you'll be spending your Sunday relaxing instead of working.
1. Sort first, wash second
Any woman who runs a household knows that sorting laundry can seem like a chore on its own! To speed up the process, ask the family to pitch in. "Keep divided sorters for lights and darks, and have separate baskets or bins," says Carolyn Forte, director of GHRI's Home Appliances and Cleaning Products department. When it's time to toss in a load, keep the items that shed, like towels, away from garments that attract lint, like corduroy pants.
2. Pre-treat for daysRead More »from 10 Tips to Your Fastest Laundry Day Ever
When you spill coffee on your favorite blouse, there's no time to remove a fresh stain before work. But don't let the stain set in while you're at the office. Instead, try a pre-treater that's safe to use up to several days before you wash, such as Resolve
Surprising nutritional superfoods
Think citrus fruits are the leading source of vitamin C? These sleeper hits of the nutrition world will make you reconsider your next bite.
1. Red Pepper
If you want to boost your vitamin C by stocking up on citrus fruits, you're on the right track: A medium orange has 70 mg of vitamin C, just 5 g shy of your daily quota. But - surprise! - 1/2 cup of red pepper boasts even more: 95 mg.
Bonus: 1/2 cup cooked broccoli has 51 mg of Vitamin C, more than two-thirds your daily quota.
A diet high in fiber helps you maintain a healthy weight and lowers your risk of diabetes and heart disease. Women under 50 should eat 25 grams of fiber a day, and those over 50 should get 21 grams. A cup of instant oatmeal has 4 g, and 1/2 cup of beans can pack more than 7 g. But artichokes have them beat: A medium one packs 10.3 g of the good stuff.
Bonus: Lesser-known fiber superstars are raspberries (8 g per cup)Read More »from 6 Surprising Nutritional Powerhouses
- Good Housekeeping | Shine Food – Wed, Oct 2, 2013 11:01 AM EDT
Chicken Noodle SoupWhen making chicken soup from scratch, a slow cooker is the perfect cooking method. A long, slow simmer time allows the ingredients' flavor to develop fully.Read More »from The Easiest Way to Make Classic Chicken Noodle Soup (Use Your Slow Cooker!)
Yields: 6 main-dish servings
Total Time: 8 hr
Related: 16 Healthy Slow-Cooker Meals
- 8 cup(s) water
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 medium stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- Ground black pepper
- 1 whole(s) (3 1/2-pound) chicken
- 3 cup(s) egg noodles, uncooked
Related: The 6 Biggest Mistakes You're Making With Your Slow Cooker
1. In 4 1/2- to 6-quart slow-cooker bowl, combine water, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, 4 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place whole chicken on top of vegetables. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs on low setting 8 to 10 hours or on high setting 4 to 5 hours.
2. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Discard bay
Dangerous exercises you should never do
Now that you're building a healthy body with a steady gym routine, do yourself a favor: Don't waste time with ineffective or downright dangerous moves. We'll tell you which exercises to skip.
Seated hip abductor machine
You think you're working the outer thighs in hopes of blasting away those saddlebags. Unfortunately, the bad news here is twofold: When you're seated in this position, the abductor muscles of the outer thighs aren't actually doing the work. Instead, the piriformis muscle, a small deep hip muscle, is. And when this guy is worked too hard, it can get angry and pick on its neighbor, the sciatic nerve, possibly leading to painful sciatica.
Besides, you can't blast away fat on a specific body part - better known as spot reduction - by working just those particular muscles anyway. "This machine totally ingrains that myth," says Irene Lewis-McCormick, MS, CSCS, a personal trainer in Iowa. The only way to reduce trouble spots is by changing your diet and doingRead More »from 11 Exercises that Do More Harm Than Good
- Good Housekeeping | In The Pantry – Tue, Oct 1, 2013 11:27 AM EDT
Healthy Makeover: Pumpkin BreadTreat family and friends to our slimmed-down quick bread. Gone are the traditional version's 3 grams of saturated fat and all the cholesterol (thanks to egg whites and a blend of low-fat yogurt and canola oil). No one will suspect you've tinkered -- a slice is that good!Read More »from Pumpkin Bread with Zero Saturated Fat and Cholesterol!
Related: Get Your Pumpkin Fix! 23 Delectable Pumpkin Desserts
Yields: 1 loaf
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
Prep Time: 20 min
Oven Temp: 350
Related: Lighter Versions of Your Favorite Fatty Fall Foods
- 1 cup(s) (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup(s) pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 cup(s) canola oil
- 1/3 cup(s) low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
Related: Cozy Minus the Calories! Slimmed-Down Comfort Food
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8 1/2" by 4 1/2"
The one thing a woman needs in anti-aging cream
In our September issue, we announced the winners of our 2013 Anti-Aging Awards for skincare! The entire project took over a year to complete: We screened a whopping 349 products and tested 84.
Looking back at the items we evaluated in 2010 for our very first awards we were able to see new trends in the skincare industry. One of the things that surprised us the most was that more and more day creams included retinol or other vitamin A derivatives - the star anti-aging ingredient that in the past was reserved for nighttime, as sunlight can render it inactive and it may even increase the skin's susceptibility to the sun.Related: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Retinol
This time around, several of the products we tested in the SPF day cream category included these ingredients. Our advisory board of dermatologists vetted all of the creams before we tested them and assured us that they were okay to give out to our panelists as the Vitamin A derivatives used in our choices are notRead More »from The One Anti-Aging Ingredient Every Woman Needs