Did you know that only 10 percent of self-defense is actually physical? The rest of your defense is just being aware of your surroundings and taking preventive measures. Here, how to fight an attacker before he strikes...and then some sharp ideas for how to react if things really do get physical.
HOW TO PREVENT AN ATTACK
Be a hard target.
Attackers tend to look for women who appear insecure or unsuspecting. Hunching over, chatting on your cell, or being distracted by your iPod or text messages make you an easy target for a bad guy. Instead, walk confidently with your shoulders back and chin up. Make eye contact. You want to send the signal that you're a secure chick who could kick anyone's ass.
Don't get sloppy during after-hours.
Don't go to the ATM by yourself at 2 a.m., leave the windows to your house open at night, or walk home from the bar wasted. You can't control the predators but can control the opportunities you give them.
Plus: Don't give out too much info about yourself
Blog Posts by Cosmopolitan.com
Did you know that only 10 percent of self-defense is actually physical? The rest of your defense is just being aware of your surroundings and taking preventive measures. Here, how to fight an attacker before he strikes...and then some sharp ideas for how to react if things really do get physical.Read More »from How to Save Your Ass With Self-Defense
The model Liskula Cohen was pissed when her name popped up on a trashy blog called "Skanks in NYC." Imagine her surprise when she found out that the catty blogger was a "friend" of hers. Here's how to tell if a bad friend might one day pull a b---- -move on you.Read More »from How to Spot a Frenemy
1. She only tags you in her Facebook pictures if your eyes are closed or your back is turned away from the camera.
2. When you tell her that you caught your boyfriend in bed with another woman her first question is, "Was she pretty?"
3. Her new cocktail ring looks mysteriously like the one you just misplaced.
4. She invites your crush to a dinner party at her apartment, but "forgets" to tell you.
5. You dread reading her Twitter feed. No one should be subjected to a play-by-play of all of her drama.
6. Even though you're glammed up she tells you, "I wish I could pull off that whole no makeup, bed-head look as well as you." Read more of her favorite sayings.
7. Her personal blog is called "The s--- List."
You blinked, and suddenly it's almost the end of summer! Before the warm weather slips away, steal these ideas from other chicks on how to squeeze out the last bit of fun.Read More »from 7 ways to savor the last weeks of summer
1. "I'm dying to go to a country music concert, hopefully outdoors. I've been researching when and where to go, and I can't wait to kick up my cowboy boots!" -Emily P., 26
2. "I can't recommend it enough: Get a really pretty pedicure and show it off in flip flops while you still can. I do a classic summer shade like bright pink or coral." -Kari M., 30
3. "I'm planning a day-trip of visiting local vineyards and wine-tasting. I'm outdoorsy like that!" -Chrissy, 27
4. "I just want to spend the end of summer poolside with a few good friends and a few more good drinks. We want to make the most of our time with each other because it will probably be the last summer all together since some of us are moving away." -Jennifer R., 22
5. "I'm going to help my niece set up a lemonade stand. It's so old school, but I know it will
We scoured our the posts from guys on Cosmo Confidential and found the top 5 things guys wish they understood.Read More »from What Men Still Don't Get About Women
1. Guys want to know: Do women ever fantasize about the one that got away? After you've broken up with a guy, do you ever think about getting back together with him?
Cosmo says: Ladies...even if you do, don't tell your new guy that!
2. Guys want to know: Do you consider online chatting cheating? Is it wrong to flirt online?
Cosmo says: Whether you're a guy or a girl, we think innocent flirting can be okay. But as soon as it turns sexual or deeply emotional, you're in dangerous territory. Get more advice on spotting a cheater...
3. Guys want to know: Can you live without sex? How badly do women need to get it on?
Cosmo says: Obviously women are robots and we don't really need to have sex, ever. Crazy guys.
4. Guys want to know: Why do you nag us?
Cosmo says: Because it would be really great if men did what they said they'd do, right? But ladies, tell us below: What do you nag
There are some surprising - and kinda crazy - factors that come into play when choosing a mate or even just a hookup. Like his belly button and the color of your clothing. Intrigued? Read on...Read More »from 5 Things You Don't Know About Attraction
1. Size (of His Gut) Matters
You can tell a lot about a guy's sex drive and fertility before he even drops trou. Men with broad shoulders and a solid chest have a lesser health risk, making them better mates. Meanwhile, guys with a gut have lower levels of testosterone. Low testosterone leads to a lower sex drive and lower fertility.
2. Guys Find Women in This Color More Desirable
A chick in red is more likely to be asked on a date and have more money spent on her. It's because men are influenced by cultural symbols - like Valentine's Day - that associate the color with romance, and primal instincts that link the color with sex. Maybe that's why the butts of some animals turn red when they are ready to mate.
3. This Move Means He's Smitten
When a guy mirrors your moves, he's subconsciously
Losing pounds doesn't have to be torture (we're looking at you, cayenne-pepper cleanse). Adopt at least three of these behaviors - they're simple to integrate into your day-to-day routine, and all are enthusiastically backed by nutritionists - and you'll be thinner and healthier in days.
1. SNACK, BUT SMARTLY
Grazing between meals used to be on the weight-loss hit list. But nutritionists now know that it's better to satisfy a craving with healthy grub than ignore it and risk a junk-food binge later. The best picks are filling, protein-packed snacks, such as one stick of string cheese, a tablespoon of peanut butter on a piece of fruit, or a medium-size bowl of edamame.
2. SCULPT THREE TIMES A WEEK
Doing 5 minutes each of push-ups, lunges, and squats (in 30-second intervals) will help build and maintain muscle mass. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be, so you'll torch more calories as you go about your day. Try Marissa Miller'sRead More »from The Best Weight-Loss Tips Ever
It's not you, it's him. No, seriously. Many of the things that prompt men to stray - and about half eventually do - have little to do with you, and everything to do with what's between their ears and legs. Ky Henderson, a male editor at Cosmo, dishes the dirt.
1. He Already Knows You (Obviously)
There's something really nice about getting comfortable around each other - guys think so too. But with that familiarity, he loses some of his intense desire. What is always sexy? Mystery, and nothing is more mysterious than the unknown. And what's unknown? What other women look like naked.
2. His Buddy Kevin Did It
If one of your guy's friends screws around without getting caught, your guy may suddenly look at cheating in a whole new light. After all, men are driven to do incredibly stupid stuff if their friends encourage it or do it first - take, for instance, the Jackass movies, or dudes who wear their hair in that spiky, Growing Up Gotti way. So if his pals tell or showRead More »from 3 Reasons Guys Cheat
Cosmo and AskMen.com teamed up to discuss what we hate to hear about our new flames' past relationships. Here, the male editors of AM tell Cosmo girls how to bend the truth so you don't bruise his ego. Then, read the 10 Things We Hate To Hear About His Ex.Read More »from 4 Things Not to Say About Your Ex
1. Don't say: "He broke my heart."
Relationships end. More often than not, they don't end smoothly. While this admission of past heartbreak at the hands of the ex might sound like a reassurance for the current relationship, it actually means something completely different in the mind of the average male. Even if the ex was a jerk, and you never want to be with him again, the fact that you are still dwelling on the past or carrying baggage makes it seem that in some odd way you still think about the ex. He doesn't want to know you think about the ex for any reason.
What to say instead: "We've all been hurt."
Even if the ex ripped your heart out, don't make it seem like you are hung up on it. You are with a great guy now, and that's
Why pay top dollar for trends that you can get for a fraction of the price? Check out these three killer looks and their cheaper steals. Then, check out more of Cosmopolitan.com's Splurge vs. Steals!Read More »from Amazing Knock-Offs: Get Designer Looks for Less!
1. Designer Look: Studded Heels
Balmain Crystal Embellished Studded Sandals, $2,300
GoJane.com Jewel Stud Zipper Back Heel, $23.10
2. Designer Look: Bow Clutch
Valentino Bow Clutch, $995
Spiegel Side-Bow Clutch, $39
3. Designer Look: Link Bracelet
Ben Amun Gold Wide Link Bracelet, $375
Arden B. Antique Metal Link Bracelet, $25.20
Great buys, right?! Happy shopping!
More from Cosmopolitan.com:
Get "Gossip Girl" Style
OMFG! We've found some fabulous fashions, inspired by the show.
Pretty Jewelry for $10 and Under
Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but you don't have to shovel out the Benjamins for some fashionable jewelry.
10 Under $10: Budget-Friendly Beauty Buys
No credit-card hangover here. These summer finds are seriously
We're down to one last month of the carefree season, but there's still time to make sure it totally rocks. Get ready to check these fun to-do's off your list.Read More »from 6 Things to Do Before Summer's Over
The Fun, Cheesy Friend Date
Head over to your local nail salon...to get a nail art manicure. Help each other pick out crazy designs - it's especially fun if you both agree not to break out the polish remover for at least a week. Hey, if Beyoncé could sport Jay-Z's face on her thumb, you can rock a heart or two.
The Food Trend You've Got to Get in On
The restaurant world has a major pizza fetish right now, so it's the perfect time to enlist your man (or a bud) and visit different restaurants for weekly tastings. Bring a scorecard with you to grade each pie on its crust, sauce, cheese, toppings, and overall flavor. By Labor Day, you'll have found a new favorite.
The Best Evening Out with Him
These days, dive bars are way hotter than fancy clubs. And, may we also mention, cheaper. Some even offer keg service at your table instead