Did you know the decision to hire is made in 15 minutes or less? Scary huh? With that in mind, Cosmo chatted with the Society for Human Resource Management. Find out which job-hunting sins you may be making.
1. You Say, "This is My Dream Job"
Even if you mean it, 69% of recruiters will brush that off as an insincere cliché they've heard way too many times before. Ban the bogus phrases "I think outside the box" and "I'm a team player" from your vocab as well, and come up with your own way of describing how much you rock.
MORE: How to Get Your Dream Life Started
2. You Ask About Vacation Days
You may think you're being straightforward by telling your potential boss that you and your BF have a 9-day trip to the Caribbean in the works. However, 69% of bosses agree that the interview is a bad time to start asking when you can take time off from the job you don't even have.
3. You Talk Salary
Money is no doubt on your mind when you're searching for a new job. Uh, if you didn't need it you
Blog Posts by Cosmopolitan.com
Did you know the decision to hire is made in 15 minutes or less? Scary huh? With that in mind, Cosmo chatted with the Society for Human Resource Management. Find out which job-hunting sins you may be making.Read More »from 5 Mistakes Women Make in Job Interviews
True to form, the mysterious R-Pattz is difficult to find dirt about. But we managed to find some interesting tidbits about our favorite brooding vampire. Want to see more hot pics of Rob? Check out his 25 smoldering looks!
1. Robert reportedly got a six-pack for New Moon, thanks to makeup artists and strategic airbrushing. We'd like to inspect the evidence to find out for sure. Check out these shirtless guys with totally legit abs of steel.
2. It's hard to believe now, but when Rob first signed on to play Edward Cullen, 75,000 people signed a petition against his taking the role - they didn't think he was the right fit for the character in the Twilight books! Now, even more people are saying, "Robert, bite me"...but they mean something completely different.Read More »from 4 Things You Don't Know About Robert Pattinson
Next time life leaves you in a foul, everything-sucks mood, employ these strategies to get an insta-lift.
1. Take an iPod time-out. Put in your ear buds, and lose yourself in your favorite tunes. A slower tempo will relax you, but music that's heavy and throbbing will let you work through anger or annoyance so you can get those negative emotions out of your system quickly, explains Los Angeles psychologist Yvonne Thomas, PhD. Find out which hot new tracks Cosmo's addicted to right now.
2. Slick on red lip gloss. Red lips exude confidence and sex appeal. The reaction you get from others will help replace your bad mood with sexy self-assuredness.
4. Have a quickie. Try one of these hot spots for fast love. If sex isn't possible, reveling in the memory of a sack session alsoRead More »from 5 feel-good tricks for blah days
- Cosmopolitan.com | Author Blog Posts – Wed, Nov 18, 2009 5:11 PM EST
The average T-day meal packs a whopping 3,000 to 4,000 calories. Add in second and third helpings and you can end up looking like someone stuffed a pumpkin into the back of your skinny jeans. This year, fend off the holiday flab by making these smart (and not too painful) swaps.
If you're hosting Turkey Day, check out these awesome tips from Katie Lee Joel, otherwise beg Mom or Grandma to skim down the menu with these tips.
Scary fact: The average person packs on 9 to 11 pounds between now and New Year's. Want to get a jumpstart on shedding those pounds? Check out our best weight-loss tips ever and work these fat-burning foods into your diet!
1. The Chubby Choice: Dark Meat Turkey
Three ounces of dark meat (about the size of a deck of cards) contains 165 calories and unhealthy saturated fat.
Slim Swap: White Meat Turkey
Three ounces of white meat contains only 100 calories. Bonus: Lean protein like white meat increases satiety, making you feel fuller longer.
What's it really like working for the number-one young women's magazine in the world? Even more fun and fearless (and fabulous!) than you'd think. Here, just some of the benefits that come with being a full-time Cosmo girl. And, we have a killer view.
1. Does your office's dress code include miniskirts and 4-inch pumps? Yeah, we're all shoe addicts around here.
2. The annual Cosmo Bachelors party beats the typical company holiday shindig by about 50 hot, single, half-naked men.
3. Using d-bag ex-boyfriends as inspiration for stories like "What to Do When He's a Terrible Kisser" is pretty damn therapeutic. Read these ridiculously embarrassing confessions.
4. "Research" includes testing the logistics of new sex positions, experimenting with makeup that hasn't hit shelves yet, and keeping up on the intricate plots of Gossip Girl and Twilight. Think you can do that? Start by testing your Twilight IQ.Read More »from 7 Reasons Why Working at Cosmo Rocks
According to a new study, a person's physical appearance allows others to form surprisingly accurate first impressions. So you may want to think twice about what kind of image you're projecting with these traits dudes check out immediately, says Ky Henderson, a male editor for Cosmo.
MORE: Find out 18 things that that he won't notice!
1. Your Smile
Does it seem sweet and genuine? Does it seem awkward and forced? Does it seem like you ate a sesame-seed and parsley salad for lunch based on what's lodged between every single one of your teeth?
2. Your Hair
Guys have no idea what split ends are, and if you mention roots, they just think of the band. But they do look to see if your hair looks 1. soft and 2. as though it would smell good. So don't request "The Gosselin" at the salon, and wash it every so often. That's all guys ask. If it's time for a cut, ourRead More »from 4 Things Guys Notice Instantly
If you're not careful, holiday stress can suck the romance out of any relationship. Use these ingenious little tips to stay connected during the crazy season-and end up even more in love by New Year's Eve. Don't worry if you don't have a BF, there's still time to snag one before the holidays.
1. Do one tiny thing together each day. Our recommended option: Shower together in the morning. We won't blame you for trying this water-friendly sex position. Not only is it a sexy way to kick start the morning, it gives you a few moments together that are guaranteed to be relaxed.
2. Help your shopping-challenged guy get it all done. Come to his rescue and you'll not only have a grateful man on your hands, you'll also score more couple time. Hit the mall super early or late (when there are less crowds) and steer him toward appropriate gifts-and away from the remote control cars he thinks everyone likes as much as he does. Or start here, we've already picked out the perfect gift forRead More »from 5 Ways to Bond With Your Guy During the Holidays
To celebrate Veterans Day Cosmopolitan and Maybelline New York are planning to set a new Guinness World Record for most lip-print kisses collected in 12 hours on postcards to be mailed to our boys overseas. Think you know everything about kissing? We bet you don't know where XOXO came from.
We're traveling throughout New York City collecting kisses. Participants will be asked to leave their kiss mark on a postcard along with a message of support for our troops to be distributed to military bases overseas on New Year's Eve, so they too can have a kiss at midnight! Check out the celebrity kisses and letters that will be sent to the troops! For every kiss collected, Cosmo & Maybelline New York will donate a $1 to the United Service Organizations (USO), the designated charity partner.
If you're in Manhattan, pucker up and meet us one at one of these locations. First, discover the five lipstick shades that work on everyone.
Can't make it to NYC? Here's how you can stillRead More »from Cosmo's Kisses for the Troops
Thanks to Beyoncé and J.Lo, a badunkadunk is an essential part of a smokin' bod. But simply having a big ass isn't enough to inspire hip-hop lyrics. This rump fixer-upper puts the junk in all the right parts of your trunk, while sucking in the still unpopular spare tire. (lovemybubbles.com, $55)
Friendship means never having to say, "Oh, I hardly noticed that you have a ginormous pimple on your chin." Help your friend tackle her massive acne problem with this zit treatment from Benefit. It has all the right stuff - salicylic acid and camphor - to sabotage boo-boos, so you can move on to other pressing topics, like her unibrow. (sephora.com, $20) See which other products the Cosmo editors love!
If Slutty McSlutterson is running out of spots to stash her massive collection of condoms, we've got the perfect solution. This chic condom box will hold a dozen rubbers and has a magnetic closure for easy, one-handed access. Just don'tRead More »from 5 Gag Gifts for People You Love to Hate
You'd leave if you could...but there's nothing else in sight. So turn your job-from-hell into a happier situation with these tips.
1. Improve Your Workspace
Photos and plants can work wonders, but there's an even better way to infuse new life into a work area. "Get control of clutter," advises Jeffrey McGrew, co-owner of sustainable interior-design firm Because We Can. "Clear off the junk from your desk and you'll feel less stressed." Next, make sure your job doesn't literally make you sick, by avoiding ailments like carpal-tunnel syndrome. Position your computer monitor a couple feet away at eye level, make sure there's no glare, and sit up straight with your feet flat on the floor.
2. Talk Amongst Yourselves
Being social not only makes life more pleasant, but it also can improve your work profile, says Myra White, PhD, author of Follow the Yellow Brick Road. "When you build relationships with your bosses," she explains, "it allows you to highlight yourRead More »from 4 Ways to Make Work Suck Less