Read More »from The 5 Best Foods for Flat Abs
Greek yogurtThey say that abs are made in the kitchen. If you're working hard toward a six-pack, why not start stocking up on these foods today?
1. Plain or Greek yogurt: We all know that yogurt is good for us, but did you know it's also good for maintaining your flat abs? For a nice mid-section, nutritionist and owner of Essential Nutrition For You Rania Batayneh says to reach for the kind that's plain flavored or Greek. "The probiotic bacteria in most yogurts help keep your digestive system healthy, which translates into a lower incidence of gas, bloating, and constipation, which can keep your tummy looking flat."
Whole grains2. Whole grains: Set aside the white bread and rice and swap them in for whole grains such as 100-percent whole wheat bread, lentils, and brown rice. "A recent study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that a calorie-controlled diet rich in whole grains trimmed extra fat from the waistline of obese subjects," registered dietitian Erin Palinski says. "This may be due to
Blog Posts by SHAPE magazine
Read More »from The 5 Best Foods for Flat Abs
Any foodies out there? We've rounded up seven of the best and most unique restaurants worldwide to expand your healthy eating horizons. Here (in no particular order) are our seven picks for the restaurants you just have to try before you die:Read More »from 7 Restaurants to Try Before You Die
This restaurant is cool as ice--literally!1. Cool as ice: Icebar Restaurant: Located inside the Snow Village resort in Finland, Icebar Restaurant offers diners stuff like potato soup with smoked salmon and tender reindeer. But you'll have to sit on solid-ice tables and chairs. If you're planning to visit, dress appropriately.
Have you ever wanted to try eating dinner underwater? Now you can!2. Superb setting: Ithaa Undersea Restaurant: Located on Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, Ithaa Undersea Restaurant boasts the most unique setting for any eatery we've ever seen. The underwater establishment is 16 feet below sea level with 180-degree views of reef and marine life. You can go there for lunch or dinner, but don't forget to make a reservation first! Dinners typically run around $320 and lunches, $195 per person. Wow!
For the history buffs, try Crossbar in New York.3. Historical context: Crossbar: This
Wearing makeup to the gym is a major no-no. But often, busy women don't have time to wash their faces clean before stepping onto the treadmill. When you absolutely need to cheat, try these beauty products we personally tested, which won't trigger irritating post-gym breakouts, even if you wear them throughout your sweat session.Read More »from The Best Sweat-Proof Makeup
the best sweat-proof concealer.1. The best concealer: Made without mineral oils or artificial coloring agents, NUXE Touche Prodigieuse ($30 at SkinStore.com) comes with a handy on-the-go brush applicator. The concealer hides imperfections and infuses your skin with long-lasting radiance , even after an intense workout.
The best powder to remain free of shine and oil at the gym.2. The best powder: No matter how sweaty you get after a gym session, Dermablend Professional Setting Powder ($22 at Dermablend.com) is wonderfully smudge-resistant. The loose powder gives your face a flawless finish without irritating it one bit.
RELATED: The Science of Shapewear
Give this a shot after your workout. 3. The best soothing spray: Before and after your workout, give your face a refreshing spritz of
Will you find love through online dating?The success stories are endless-and so are the horror stories. When talking about online dating, it can be a scary world out there in cyberspace. But when you hear of stories like that of Kristis and Jason Cartozian, cyberspace seems to be exactly the place to find the perfect match.
"I had been in a six year relationship that was going nowhere," says Mrs. Cartozian, a New York-based licensed marriage and family therapist. She had just moved to a new city and, at 30 years old, she was "over" the bar scene.
So, in 2007, she decided to sign up for Match.com. Within months, she met Jason, who happened to live in the very same town. They married less than three years later. "If you go into your online dating journey with an open mind and an open heart, you may just meet the love of your life and best friend all in one," Cartozian says.
RELATED: 14 Things Men Wish Women Knew
With hundreds of online dating websites to choose from, some based on hobbies, religion, age,Read More »from Online Dating Sites, Decoded!
Workout programs for kids.We already covered the top 10 weight-loss and fitness trends of 2011, but now we're looking full-steam ahead to 2012. Although we're only a couple of weeks into the new year, we thought we'd ask some of our favorite industry experts to try their hand at predicting what fun fitness and health trends will pop up in the coming months. Here are some of their predictions:Read More »from 5 Fun Fitness Trends to Watch for in 2012
1. Weight-loss programs for kids: Obesity has more than tripled during the last 30 years (in both adults and children), says Dianne Sykes Scope, head exercise physiologist and owner of Achieve Fitness in E. Rockaway, New York. "Parents are recognizing the need to get their children involved in supervised, structured physical activity, and this trend couldn't be more valid: physical education programs around the country are being cut left and right, leaving kids far less active and more prone to weight gain-Facebook, television, video games, and a plethora of high-calorie, sugar-loaded junk foods equals obesity and early
- SHAPE magazine | Vitality – Thu, Jan 12, 2012 10:07 AM EST
Bring a buddy to the gym with you.Feeling lazy or down? We've all been there! For the days when dragging yourself out of bed and into the gym seems impossible, we've got simple tricks and tips from some of our favorite fitness gurus that will help to make it a little bit less painful:
1. Bring a buddy: Get accountability partners. Your journey to fitness is a lot more fun and fulfilling when you have others to take the journey with. I have awesome people urging me on.
-Gilbert Gatchalian, Beachbody coach
2. Consider the aftermath: Don't think about whether or not you feeling like going to the gym right now. Just think about how darn good you're going to feel afterwards, and get moving to the gym now. Don't cheat yourself out of feeling incredible or looking good. Feelings are temporary. Once you get going, you'll feel so much better.
-Michelle L. Butler, holistic nutritionist and yoga instructor
3. Keep it real: Begin withRead More »from 10 Tricks to Help You Get Motivated and Hit the Gym
- SHAPE magazine | Jumpstart 2012 – Wed, Jan 11, 2012 11:51 AM EST
Make 2012 the year you ditch the diets and start living in a healthy way. Try any one of these small, expert-approved tips for big (and healthy) changes.Read More »from Experts Reveal: 15 Small Diet Changes for Big Weight Loss
Drink water with lemon to rev up your metabolism.1. Jackie Warner: Drink water with lemon: You already know drinking water is good for your overall health, but fitness expert, celebrity trainer, and star of "Personal Training with Jackie: 30 Day Fast Start" Jackie Warner has a tip to take it up a notch in the weight-loss department. She recommends drinking 3 liters of water with lemon each and every day.
"Adding the lemon helps to detoxify the liver and metabolizes fat, so this can speed up metabolism by about 33 percent," Warner says. "That burns about 100 extra calories per day!"
Listen to your hunger.2. Kathy Smith: Listen to your hunger: Even if you can't fully change your diet for the better, one simple way to lose weight is to eat just a little less. And the easiest way to do that is by listening to your hunger. Kathy Smith, creator of the "Ageless with Kathy Smith" DVD line, says to eat slowly,
Mahatma GandhiThese fitness nuggets of wisdom from Mahatma Gandhi, Michael Jordan, and more inspirational figures will cheer you up on the days you need a little bit of extra encouragement!Read More »from The Smartest Things Ever Said About Fitness
1. Mahatma Gandhi: "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
2. Michael Jordan: "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
3. Ellen DeGeneres: "You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is."
RELATED: 12 Fitness Trends to Watch in 2012
4. Oprah Winfrey: "There is no easy way [to exercise]. Believe me, if there were, I would have bought it. And it would be one of my favorite things!"
5. President John F. Kennedy: "Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy
- SHAPE magazine | Healthy Living – Wed, Jan 11, 2012 9:43 AM EST
Make it a goal to drink 3 liters of water with lemon per day Our favorite health and fitness experts weighed in with their favorite small diet changes that can lead to big weight loss. Get started today with these easy tips and make 2012 the year you ditch the strict diets.
1. Jackie Warner: Drink 3 liters of water with lemon per day.
You already know drinking water is good for your overall health, but fitness expert, celebrity trainer, and star of "Personal Training with Jackie: 30 Day Fast Start," Jackie Warner has a tip to take it up a notch in the weight-loss department. She recommends drinking 3 liters of water with lemon each and every day.
"Adding the lemon helps to detoxify the liver and metabolizes fat, so this can speed up metabolism by about 33 percent," Warner says. "That burns about 100 extra calories per day!"Read More »from 5 Small Expert-Approved Diet Changes that Lead to Big Results
Start juicing! Drinking vegetable juice, that is.2. Tara Stiles: Start juicing.
And by juicing, we mean drinking fresh vegetable juice! Tara Stiles, the founder and owner of Strala yoga studio, personal yoga instructor to Deepak Chopra, and author of the best-selling
- SHAPE magazine | Healthy Living – Mon, Jan 9, 2012 12:58 PM EST
Strike the right balance among protein, fats, and carbs with these tips.Quick, what's the best way to lose weight and stay healthy? Drastically cut carbs, go very lowfat, become a vegan, or simply count calories? With all the conflicting advice these days about what you should be eating, it's hard not to have diet whiplash. A recent avalanche of news, however, is finally all pointing in the same direction-toward a moderate, eminently doable regimen that divides your daily intake evenly among three food groups: carbohydrates, protein, and fats.
RELATED: 10 Foods That Cause Inflammation
One recent study from the Norwegian University and Technology found that when people who had been eating a higher-carb, lower-protein diet were put on a balanced-ratio plan, they showed positive changes in their DNA that may translate into less inflammation in the body-which can reduce your risk for heart disease, cancer, and other chronic diseases.
At the same time, a growing body of research suggests that eating this way might also be a simple shortcut to losingRead More »from Protein, Fats, and Carbs: What Should Really Be on Your Plate