We promise, it's not what you're thinking! These three women ran, not walked all the way to the altar. Read on to hear about the different ways they incorporated fitness into their special day.
1. Allegra Frolow: "At the end of our wedding, I changed from my wedding dress into a white sundress and running shoes. My husband changed from his tux into a black running outfit and shoes. We made our exit by running out through the tunnel of guests throwing lavender," Frolow says.
"Since it was summer in Texas, we only ran far enough to get out of sight. Then, we took a break waiting for our ride to pick us up and take us to the state capitol, where we put our wedding clothes back on to take pictures. It turned out perfectly. People still tell us how cute our exit was. I wouldn't change a thing!"
RELATED: 10 Stylish Alternatives To Wedding Veils
2. Katie Ingram: "We got married in a surprise ceremony on New Year's Eve. The next morning my new husband and I ran a 5K and then hosted a brunch
Blog Posts by SHAPE magazine
We promise, it's not what you're thinking! These three women ran, not walked all the way to the altar. Read on to hear about the different ways they incorporated fitness into their special day.Read More »from Three Real-Life Runaway Brides
By SHAPE.com diet doctor, Mike Roussell, PhD.
Thanks to nearly constant sitting, office gatherings with sugar-packed, high-calorie snacks and the stress of deadlines and big projects, your workplace can be one of the biggest obstacles to overcome on your weight-loss journey.
Here are four common barriers to good nutrition in the work force and easy ways to overcome them.
1. Lack of time. Many people are too busy at work to take the time to eat, yet not too busy to update their Facebook status or get lost in their inbox for a few hours each day. Schedule your meals and treat them like you would any other appointment. Even the busiest professional can carve five minutes out of their mid-morning schedule to have a nutrition bar and 20 oz of water.
2. Limited access to healthy food and water and/or inconvenience. It's true: Eating healthy is inconvenient. Healthy food doesn't last long in your desk drawer, and I have yet to see a vending machine stocked with lean proteins and freshRead More »from 4 Easy Ways To Stay Healthy At Work
We normally think of having a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter's day, but how about having a chilled bowl on a hot summer's day? If you're looking for a new way to stay cool in these last days of summer, read on for three delicious, healthy soups that are sure to fit the bill.Read More »from 3 Chilled Summer Soups That Keep You Cool!
1. Chilled corn and avocado soup: Keep your summer diet on track with this cool corn-based concoction. Make a meal of it with a side of fresh lobster salad, which will complement the flavor of the soup.
3 ears of corn, shucked
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 lime, juiced
3 tbsp. Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rub corn with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast for 15 minutes. Remove corn from cob, but save both cobs and kernels. In a pan over medium heat, sauté garlic and shallots until they're soft. In a large pot, place corn cobs and half the kernels, garlic, shallots, a pinch of salt and enough
Putting on a full face of makeup to go to the gym? No thanks! Still, there's no rule that says you can't look cute while you're working out. We've compiled some of the cutest hair accessories around to wear while you're working out hard. The best part is they're all completely functional, too!Read More »from The Cutest Hair Accessories For Your Workout
1. Strappy and sweet: Easily the cutest headband we've ever seen, this Gym Double Strap Headband from Lucy Activewear in the Dot Stripe pattern ($1.98 at Lucy.com) wins our fitness-fiending hearts. And the best part is, we love the price tag!
2. Bands with bling: Bring the bling to the gym with these Juicy Couture Multi Thin Elastics with Charms ($25 at Bloomingdales.com). The collection comes with four thin elastic bands that spell out "Juicy" with clear crystals and metallic letters-so fabulous!
RELATED: The Best Sports Bra For Your Cup Size
3. For designer divas on wheels: Next time you ride your bike around town, keep your scalp and eyes protected from the sun's harmful race with the Adidas
By SHAPE blogger Renee Woodruff
When you're living in a city like Manhattan, you get pretty creative with the amount of space you have...which is very little. Here are my five favorite ways to use my bed (get your mind out of the gutter!). What are yours?
1. Eating. Yes, you heard me just fine. When you live in a tiny, shoe-box shaped apartment in the middle of Manhattan, your bed takes on many titles. Multi-tasking becomes a must, and eating in bed happens often. I'm not talking full-blown meals, but I am talking Buttercup cupcake parties with a glass of wine, a paper-towel wrapped peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a snack-pack cottage cheese to comfort a late night growl and of course, snacks of various assortments during movie time (I'd prefer watching a movie in bed over the couch any day).
2. Beauty prep. With just enough floor space to turn around in my old apartment, my bed automatically became a cosmetic counter as I prepped during the wee hours of the morning.Read More »from 5 Creative And Fun Ways To Relax In Bed
Most of us reach for a pale, light beer at happy hour when watching our calories. But new research shows a nutritional benefit to opting for a heavier, darker beer: iron. The study, which was published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, examined 40 types of beer from around the world and found that, on average, dark beers have free iron content of 121 parts per billion (ppb) compared to 92 ppb in pale beers and 63 ppb in non-alcoholic beers.
RELATED: 20 Chilled Summer Soups To Stay Slim
Iron is an essential mineral that is need to make a part of blood cells. Iron helps carry oxygen from the lungs to the muscles and other organs, so when your iron intake is low, oxygen circulates more slowly, which can leave you feeling tired, sluggish and irritable.
RELATED: Bikini-Friendly Beers
While iron is found in meat, beans, grains and some veggies, it's estimated that only 65 to 70 percent of all Americans meet their daily recommended intake. Because ofRead More »from The Benefits of Drinking Dark Beer
The days are getting slightly cooler, the sun's not shining quite as bright...yup, summer is slowly winding down! But don't worry, there's still time to hit the beach! Next time you're there, why don't you try these five moves to tone up and get fit?Read More »from 5 Easy Ways To Tone Up At The Beach
1. Sand sprints: Warm up by running a few laps up and down in the sand. When you're ready, mark off a distance by using two landmarks or by drawing a line in the sand. Sprint from one to the next-aim to have each sprint last 12-30 seconds, with a ten-second rest between each one. The resistance from the sand makes these so much harder than regular sprints so you'll feel them quickly.
Tip: Running barefoot is a lot different than running with shoes on. Focus on not striking with your heel first.
2. Glute bridge on ball with leg lift: I've never met a curl machine that worked my hamstrings and butt better than this move! Lay on your back with your ball under your heels. Lift your butt as high as you can and pull the ball in towards you.
Everyone these days seems to be incorporating kettlebells into her workouts. Vanessa Hudgens uses them to stay strong, and Penelope Cruz, Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey have also worked out with them. While most everyone can do a kettlebell workout, there's a few things that every kettlebell beginner should know before trying this new hot trend.Read More »from What You Should Know Before Trying Kettlebells
1. Form is king. Before trying any kettlebell workout, it's important to know and understand proper form. Take a kettlebell class with an experienced and certified instructor and ask for one-on-one help. A kettlebell workout is very challenging and can be fantastic for building strength, but if you're not doing the moves properly, you can be injured or not see results.
Related: 20 Ways to Get Toned Arms Faster
2. It's all about momentum. Kettlebell workouts are all about explosive, powerful movements. Unlike lifting weights where you slowly lift a weight, when working out with kettlebells, it's all about using the momentum of the
Ever feel like going for Italian food inevitably means indulging in something you'll regret later? Here are guilt-free options that you can enjoy next time you eat Italian.Read More »from 11 Guilt-Free Italian Menu Items
This air-dried, salted beef first originated in Italy and has been served as an antipasti for centuries. It's 98-percent lean, sweet, and tender. (That's code for practically no fat, no carbohydrates, and lots of protein.) Some restaurants serve it on its own, others with arugula or Parmesan cheese.
This classic Tuscan dish is just pounded, grilled chicken, usually topped with a salad of arugula, lemon, and olive oil.
Related: 50 Tasty Foods Under 50 Calories
Brodetto di Pesce
One of my favorites, this vibrant fish soup is brimming with seafood (white fish, mussels, shrimp, scallops, and whatever else is fresh that day), tomatoes, thyme, garlic, onions, and a splash of white wine.
Chicken a la Diavola
It may sound naughty, but chicken a la diavola (deviled) means nothing more than
Did you know that there are different types of water bottles suited to different lifestyles? Really, there are! Read on to see which one fits your healthy, active lifestyle.Read More »from The Best Water Bottles For Different Lifestyles
1. The best water bottle in disguise: Vapur Anti-Bottle
This water bottle pick is not a bottle at all, but it's just as useful. The Vapur Anti-Bottle ($9.99 to $15.99 at Vapur) is a foldable, reusable, washable, freezable container with three layers of ultra-durable plastic. Put your water in it and when done, you can easily stash it away in your pocket or bag.
2. The best undercover agent: Contigo's Kangaroo
Ideal for travelers or people who don't feel like carrying a wallet, we love Contigo's Kangaroo Water Bottle ($12.99 at GoContigo.com) because of its cool compartment! Use it to store cash, your keys, anything that can fit!
RELATED: 10 Fitness Faux Pas Women Make
3. The most transparent: Hydros Bottle
We just love how you can see everything inside this Hydros Bottle ($29.99 at HydrosBottle.com). And the best