Previous favorites: Top 5 Cable-Knit Sweaters, Top 5 D'Orsay Flats, Top 5 'Geek Chic' Glasses, Top 5 Baseball Hats, Top 5 Matching Separates, Top 5 Surf Sprays, Top 5 One-piece Swimsuits, Top 5 Sunscreens, Top 5 Flip-Flops, Top 5 Crossbody Bags, Top 5 Dry Shampoos, Top 5 Little White Dresses, Top 5 Body Lotions, Top 5 Stylish Sneakers, Top 5 Denim Dresses, Top 5 Spring Nail Colors, Top 5 Metallic Sandals, Top 5 Mascaras, Top 5 Umbrellas, Top 5 MirroredRead More »from Top 5 Skater Dresses
Blog Posts by Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor
- Holiday party season is almost here, and we're yearning for dresses with wow factor. Our favorite silhouette? The fit-and-flare skater dress. They slim the waist, enhance your curves, and swish around in a flirty way. Let's admit it: those Olympic skating costumes may have a few too many sparkles, but they are incredibly flattering and one of our favorite things to watch during the winter games. These top five dresses will get noticed through the holidays and beyond. By Joanna Douglas, Yahoo Shine Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:55 PM ESThas become known for her fantastic, Michelle Obamaunique sense of style. Whether it's an affordable dress from Target or a stunning Jason Wu gown, the first lady's sartorial choices are typically lovely and well-suited for her body type and personality. That said, there is one item she wishes she'd never worn in public: shorts.
More on Yahoo Shine: Michelle Obama's Recycled Outfits
On Tuesday, Obama was a guest on BET's "106 & Park" and an audience member asked her about her biggest fashion regret. "I am kind of always happy with what I'm wearing, I think," she said. "Sometimes I forget I'm the first lady and I'm running around in shorts. I know the first time we went on a family vacation, I had shorts on getting off of Air Force One and that created a huge stink because people were like, 'She's wearing shorts getting off of Air Force One!' And I thought, 'What? We're on vacation!' It was hot!" She added, "So I've avoided shorts getting off of Air Force One."
More on Yahoo: Hugo BossRead More »from Michelle Obama's Biggest Fashion Regret? Wearing Shorts
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 1:47 PM EST, Duchess of Cambridge, may have stepped out of the public eye a bit since the Kate Middletonbirth of son Prince George in July, but when she does resurface, the world remains fascinated with her ... and her attire. The style icon is known for her extreme brand loyalty (Middleton's faves include British labels like Alexander McQueen, Jenny Packham, Reiss, Issa, and L.K. Bennett) and for frequently shopping her closet. Sure, many women rewear their favorite pieces, but not many women who are members of a royal family and have access to the greatest designers in the world. It's refreshing to see the Duchess reach for the same simple frock again and again, but it's downright surprising when she also pairs it with a few of the same go-to accessories.
More on Yahoo Shine: Kate Middleton's New BFF Provides Edgy Fashion Influence
On Tuesday, Middleton attended an event in London for Only Connect, a crime prevention charity, and opted for the identical head-to-toe look she wore back in FebruaryRead More »from Kate Middleton Dress Déjà Vu: Her Orla Kiely Frock Is Back
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Beauty – Mon, Nov 18, 2013 5:11 PM ESTDark berry lips are a huge fall trend, but with the current '90s fashion revival the look has morphed into full-blown goth. Suddenly every celebrity from Jennifer Lawrence to Khloe Kardashian is looking like an extra from "The Craft." Velvet clothing, chokers, and black boots are all on-trend this season, and when paired with the popular deep lipsticks and dark pointy stiletto nails the result would make Morticia Addams proud. But this style isn't just for Halloween! "Although many people associate goth makeup as harsh, too dark, and overdone, it can look classy, romantic, and beautiful with the right balance of color and depth," celebrity makeup artist Michiko Boorberg told Yahoo Shine. "You don't have to do a full goth makeup look with dark eyes and dark lips, [but] you can take elements of it and play with colors." Here's how to wear this edgy makeup to your day-to-day life. By Joanna Douglas, Yahoo Shine Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor
Everyone loves a customized gift, but monogramming is so predictable. You know what else people are obsessed with? Astrology. Get women discussing the topic and you'll hear phrases like, "That was so Pisces of me" or "I always date Cancers." This holiday season, instead of boring engraved gifts with initials, the hot ticket items are stylish zodiac accessories and garments thanks to retailers at every price point from Urban Outfitters to Rebecca Minkoff to Dior. Have a special someone who checks their horoscope every morning before even brushing their teeth? They're going to love the latest astro gear. And if you're the one who identifies strongly with your birth date, treat yourself and wear your sign loud and proud from your wrist, feet, or tee. It's in the stars. By Joanna Douglas, Yahoo Shine Senior Fashion and Beauty EditorRead More »from Holiday Horoscope: The Hottest Zodiac Gifts
- Gold is the trend that won't die. For the past decade, many women have coveted all things gilded, from rose gold makeup to metallic accessories, and with the holidays approaching retailers are pushing the glitz. Real gold has been increasingly popping up in beauty products from face masks and lotions to eyeshadow and nail polish. But is gold leaf or even gold dust particles really beneficial to the skin, or just a way to up the price of products? "I don't think there's any scientific data that shows that gold has any effect on firming, rejuvenating, or reducing wrinkles," says Dr. Sejal K. Shah, a New York City-based cosmetic dermatologist. "It should not be considered anti-aging, however, in things like makeup or creams that give you a glow it could be considered a pigmenting agent."
Gold products touting health benefits may be pure gimmick, and those seeking a midas touch may actually want to be careful when using items containing the metal. "Gold has been named allergen of theRead More »from Are 24K Gold Beauty Products Worth the Hype?
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Beauty – Tue, Nov 12, 2013 4:43 PM EST
and drugstore shelves are flooded with thousands of products, all claiming to work miracles, but women can't possibly need every one of them, right? We rounded up makeup, hair, and Beauty counters skin-care experts to weigh in on which items are a waste of money for everyday use and the select few you should stock up on for every day use.Read More »from Beauty Products You Don't Need ... and a Few You Definitely Do
First off, the beauty items our experts suggest skipping:
"For the day to day, most women don't need foundation," says Gigi Shaker, New York-based makeup and hair artist. "For a wedding or big occasion you may want more coverage, but typically you can eliminate foundation and just use concealer under the eyes and to spot-treat." Fellow makeup and hair stylist Bridget Trama agrees but says selecting the right concealer becomes crucial without foundation. "You also have to make sure it's the right color," says Trama. "And some people with concealers, they go far too light. They don't have enough peach in it and then get that raccoon eye thing
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Beauty – Mon, Nov 11, 2013 3:19 PM EST
Shakira shows off her pearly whites. Photo courtesy of CrestYou might say international pop star Shakira is an overachiever. She's about to release a new album (which she calls a mix of her old classic sound with rock 'n' roll attitude and dance tracks), she's returning as a mentor on "The Voice," she's a member of President Obama's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics, and she's adjusting to her new role as mother to 9-month-old Milan with her soccer-star boyfriend, Gerard Piqué.
Now she can add one more responsibility to her roster: serving as the new celebrity global brand ambassador for Crest and Oral-B 3D White. The campaign is all about the power of a smile, and Yahoo Shine had the opportunity to speak with Shakira in Barcelona last week about her newest gig. We also got the scoop on her beauty tips, her must-have fashion items, and why she feels a smile is the ultimate accessory.
Yahoo Shine: Something people may not know is that you always do your own makeup. With access to so many experts and artists, why doRead More »from Shakira Shares Her Style Regrets, Her Must-Have Items, and Why She Annoys Photographers
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Mon, Nov 4, 2013 3:57 PM ESTTaylor Swift cites this Elie Saab gown as her favorite dress she's ever wornPop sensation Taylor Swift may get constant press for her tumultuous love life, but here at Yahoo Shine, we're obsessed with the star for another reason: her personal style. From her pitch-perfect off-duty wardrobe to her glam taste in red carpet gowns, Swift dresses as flawlessly as her enviable bangs and gorgeous red lips look.
While she prepares for a crazy whirlwind schedule that includes an international tour, the American Music Awards, the Country Music Awards, and an upcoming album, Swift has also been collaborating with Keds, the iconic sneaker brand, on covetable comfortable shoes. We sat down with the star to get the scoop on her style icons, the best and worst things she's ever worn, and her beauty secrets.
Yahoo Shine: Your red carpet style has really evolved over the years. What's your favorite look of all time?
Taylor Swift: I wore a gown to the Brits [in February] that was a black [Elie Saab] dress, and it had a belt, and I had a smoky makeup look. That was one of myRead More »from Exclusive: Taylor Swift Talks Fashion Regrets, Style Crushes, and Her Must-Have Red Lipstick
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Wed, Oct 30, 2013 5:36 PM EDT
The return of 1990s fashion trends has spawned the unexpected resurrection of several dated items, from Timberland boots to skorts. The latest shocking item to reemerge? Slip dresses. In the mid-'90s, the lingerie-inspired frocks were spotted on a range of stars, from Courtney Love, the Queen of grunge, to Kate Moss, the waifish face of "heroin chic." Love made feminine pink nighties completely subversive paired with ripped tights, messy hair, and smeared lipstick. Meanwhile, Moss opted for minimal designs that seem downright dull by today's standards. Yet somehow, the slip dress is suddenly just right again. The best incarnations skim a woman's figure and come in luxe fabrics like satin or velvet. They're also incredibly sexy for layering, so grab your tights and your cozy cardigan and get ready to fall in love with your new fall go-to. By Joanna Douglas, Yahoo Shine Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor
Read More »from Slip Dresses: The Unexpected, Sexy Fall Layering Piece