By Arianne Cohen
Trimming your household expenses doesn't have to mean doing without the things you need most. We found five easy ways to save money without suffering.
1. Skip the paper towels. There's almost nothing that a paper towel cleans that can't be done well with a dishrag; just toss it in the wash afterward. Savings: $60 per year
2. Brew smart. Buy tea and coffee loose (not in pods), and try using a third less. Packaging often overstates how much you really need. Savings: $100 per year
3. Close your closet doors. If they're open, you're paying to cool your closets-which keeps your air conditioner chugging more. Savings: $30 per summer
4. Cancel garbage pickup. Instead, drive your trash and recycling to the dump. Take turns with a neighbor, so one of you goes every few days. Savings: $300-$450 per year
5. Simplify your beauty routine. Try using just shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, face lotion and a hairstyling product. Savings: $100 perRead More »from 5 painless ways to cut household bills