Step away from the remote - or at least that's what I'm trying to do. My non-television watching friends continue to espouse the benefits of their Fox-, NBC-, and CNN-free lives and I can't much argue against them. These days it is nearly impossible to steer clear from televisions; restaurants, airports, places of work, and gyms cater to our 24/7 news cycle obsessed society, but there are other ways to get the news and keep from becoming a couch potato. Here are some good reasons you should consider hitting the "Off" switch:
- You may actually finish that book you've been reading for the last few months.
- Heavy television watchers are more likely to become obese.
- You can make that long awaited phone call to an old friend or friends.
- If you sit too close to a television, you may get a headache. Probably not going to happen if you sit too close to the ocean.
- Does watching Snooki suck face compare to the high you get after going on a hike?
- You can do an