Location: Vancouver, Canada
Job: Senior public relations manager
At my office: Our company is a national cleaning and junk-removal service. It works with thousands of nonprofit groups, recycling centers, and charities to either recycle or donate the things we remove.
Dogs welcome: Our office dog, Grizzly, is a Shiba Inu we jokingly named Director of Greetings. Grizzly is probably the funniest, most adaptable dog I've ever seen. Every morning he makes his rounds to all the people who feed him and bring him treats!
Some junk in the truck: Whether you're a vice president or entry-level employee, everyone starting with our company must spend a minimum of five days on the junk trucks. I couldn't believe how sore my muscles were after picking up junk for eight hours.
Pimping my cube: The moose statue I have on my desk is from my junk-truck days. I helped clean a basement for the nicest old man I have ever met. He really wanted me to have this
Blog Posts by Marie Claire
Katie DunsworthRead More »from Pimp your cubicle
- Marie Claire | Fashion – Wed, Dec 2, 2009 12:16 AM EST
Solange Magnano, 38, Miss Argentina 1994, died Sunday, November 29th from complications arising from an elective cosmetic procedure. The cause of death is under investigation but reports claim that fluid she had injected into her buttocks traveled into her lungs and brain.PHOTO CREDIT: LIZ VON HOENEMagnano was a married mother of two, a beauty queen, a successful model and owned her own agency in Argentina. Magnano's life seemed almost perfect. So what is it about the promise of beauty that makes a woman with everything willing to risk it all?
Marie Claire's Gretchen Voss covered this phenomenon recently. She conducted dozens of interviews with woman who'd undergone the knife in hopes of achieving a little piece of physical perfection. Instead they were brutalized, left scared and suffered permanent damage. One woman's breast implant surgery left her with black, painfully infected nipples. A 47-year-old mother retained 3rd degree burns and possibly permanent nerve damage after a botched Lipo suction. TheRead More »from Former Miss Argentina Dies From Cosmetic Surgeryâ€¦Whoâ€™s Next?
Toxic Hype: Are the mainstays of a modern girl's life-water bottles, cell phones, smoggy city air-really poisoning us?Read More »from Toxic: Are You Being Poisoned?
By Penny Wrenn
The toxic dangers in this contaminative world - phthalates and -enols and -alenes, oh my! - are enough to turn a nervous Nellie into a paranoid Patty. But Geoffrey C. Kabat, Ph.D., epidemiologist and author of the new book Hyping Health Risks, says it's time to stop buying into the doom-and-gloom headlines. "Going into a tailspin over the report of the day distracts us from bigger health concerns," he says. "If a smoker who doesn't exercise is worried about chemicals leaching from her water bottle, well, that's really silly." We asked Kabat for common-sense science to thwart some of our freakier fears:
OUR DAILY DOSE OF BOTTLED WATER IS POISONING US.
As you flip out about a study that found hormone changes in rats fed bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical compound in plastic bottles, Kabat reminds you, "We're not rats; our exposure to BPA is immeasurably
Irresistible gift ideas that will rev up the romance factor so you can simmer down with your lover.
Photo Credit: Nancy Meyer1. Lingerie Every gift looks better wrapped up with a bow. In that same vein, as much as he loves to get you out of your clothes, he'll appreciate a little extra sexy trimming to discard. La Perla has been peddling little bits of lacy lingerie since the early '50s, and with Malizia, the Italian design house is offering a modernized line of racy bras and panties - just the right decoration to get his blood pumping.
2. The Art of Burlesque Deep down, all men love a tease - and no one has mastered that art more that Dita Von Teese. One of the prominent stars of the nouveau burlesque scene, she's posed for and penned this two-sided book on the subject. One side details burlesque's roots and philosophy, and the other explores the darker, more intense side of sexy dress-up.Read More »from The 7 Sexiest Gifts For The Holidays
3. Body Shimmer The truth is, for him, the sexiest gift is you, preferably naked or close to it. Another
Hello, recessionista! These bargains are promised to be a hit without breaking the bank.Read More »from 5 Gifts Under $20
1. Book of Quotes A polished spin on your high school guidance counselor's "I'm OK, You're OK" poster, these slender and beautifully bound books of quotations by Kate's Paperie come in six themes and offer wisdom from writers, intellectuals, and pioneers ranging from Mother Teresa to Dorothy Parker to Mark Twain.
2. Italian Soap Hand-wrapped in paper and sealed in a manner evocative of Baroque opulence, this triple-milled soap is a decadent and sensual treat for the skin. MOR Cosmetics incorporated 17th-century bathing rituals with timeless ingredients to create this luxurious bar, laced with its signature scent.
3. High Tea Set Sure, with her schedule she may never be a lady who lunches, so gift her with the Photo Credit: Henri Bendel luxury of teatime, anytime. Both sophisticated and sassy, Henri Bendel's High Tea box includes six custom-blended teas and a teapot by Villeroy & Boch, designed in Bendel's classic style.
Charity is the new black. Forget the gifts that keep on giving; go for the gifts that give twice-with the proceeds going to a worthy cause.
1. Literacy Brighten up her home with one (or several) of these vibrant Time Travel Posters. They're futuristic with a vintage feel and will add a whole new happy dimension to her world, one that's as amusing and whimsical as the young people it supports. Proceeds from these posters go to 826LA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching and empowering young people through writing workshops and projects.
2. Aid to Artisans in Morocco Mirror, mirror on her wall. This eclectic one will reflect some world good along with her pretty face. Not only does it benefit the environment by preventing misprinted food and drink-can metal from filling up landfills, but the purchase of this handmade mirror benefits Aid to Artisans, a nonprofit that provides economic opportunities to artisans in developing countries.
3. Human Rights Now "good
Turn off your guilt switch and indulge with these fantastically glamorous, over-the-top gifts.Read More »from 6 Over-the-top Luxury Gifts
1. Gold iPod Touch It's an iPod Touch - the same one the gal next to you has. Both iPods have the same dimensions, the same memory capacity, battery life, buttons, and controls.Except the casing of this one is made out of solid 24-carat gold.
Photo Credit: Banyan Tree2. Resort Vacation A gift you can both enjoy. Natural luxury, plain and simple - only this five-star, environmentally friendly resort is anything but simple. Situated on the sparkling Coast of Riviera Maya, Mexico, Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a tranquil yet sumptuous treat for all the senses. You'll enjoy hours of unadulterated relaxation at the serene Banyan Tree Spa Mayakoba, with its hydrothermal treatments at freestanding treatment pavilions, while he practices his swing on the championship El Camaleón golf course. But likely you'll both mostly "settle" for hunkering down in your secluded, artfully designed villa and sleek, private pool.
3. Black Caviar
PHOTO CREDIT: KUTAY TANIR/ISTOCK PHOTOA great gift doesn't have to cost a lot...or anything at all! Here are seven free ways to let the people in your life know you care.Read More »from 7 Gifts that Don't Cost a Thing
1. A beauty counter makeover. Sure it's something any girl can do at any time, but how often do they? There's nothing like a cosmetic counter makeover. They're free and offered at almost every makeup counter in every mall or department store across America (high-end cosmetic boutiques like Chanel have them as well but require you to book in advance). Once she realizes that you took the time to plan out her makeover she'll be touched - and look awesome.
2. Create a funky photo album. Sure, you can share photos almost the minute you take them, but there is something special about holding a photo album. For a truly personal gift, gather some snapshots and paste them on to the pages of an old children's book, or glue them onto a clipboard. Look around; there are many things that would make cool, unique frames or albums.
3. Stage a scavenger hunt. The major
For the past 7 years jellyfish invasions have been an annual event in Japan and China. Off the coast of Japan's Wakasa Bay the swarms have cut fishing by 30 percent, costing the industry nearly $330 million and the creatures themselves have increased in number up to 500 million. The rapid growth rate of jellyfish clusters has been attributed to warming ocean temperPhoto Credit: iStockatures and a thinning population of predators.Read More »from One positive thing aboutâ€¦jellyfish
2009 has produced the largest jellyfish invasions yet. Environmentalists see this as a bad omen, fishermen worry for the future of their trade, seafaring hobbyists fear stings and pescetarians, major mark-ups of market price.
On a global level, today's economic and environmental climate is nothing short of depressing. That's common knowledge, so let's focus on the bright side. While it seems nothing good can come from this new phenomena there's always a silver lining. The one positive thing about jellyfish-they're scientifically proven to produce feelings of
The Lunch hour; those pivotal 60 minutes of the day where you steal away from the office,fuel up for the afternoon, or run an errand or two - you could call lunch the most versatile hour of the day, if not the most powerful. From checking in with your shrink to schmoozing clients or cutting back on your daily spending, we've counted down some of the best ways to spend your lunch hour and what to eat while doing it.Read More »from 5 ways to transform your lunch hour
Photo Credit: Wolfgang Leinbacher/iStock
1. Lunch Time Activism: Between munching on pita chips you can change the world for the better. Amnesty International's protectthehuman.org offers a variety of ways you can do some good on your lunch hour.
2. Deftly Navigating Office Politics: Sure you've left high school behind you but choosing who to have lunch with can still impact both you social life and career.
3. Trimming Your Spending: Since the recession began the brown bag has become more fashionable around the office but is it worth it? If you stack up your home made sandwich against a store bought one --