Get ready, the holidays are here! This is the season of parties, family, food and gift giving, lots and lots of gift giving. From the office Secret Santa to stuffing stocking at home, you've probably got a list that covers a lot of ground, but don't worry, we've sorted through all your holiday options and come up with a list of stocking stuffers that will fit any budget and satisfy even the most discerning recipient.
Here are some of our top picks:
1. Sony's Earbud Headphones Headphones are some of the best gifts to give; even grandma has an ipod. These haveserious sound quality and come in a variety of colors and sizes making it easier to personalize.
2. Cargo Hands of Hope Collection A beautiful collection of jewel toned eye shadows that any fashionista would swoon for.
3. Sabon's Lemon Mint Body Scrub The perfect combination of Dead Sea salts and rich, soothing oils, it leaves the skin feeling super soft and improves circulation to boot.
4. Guitar Hero Smash Hits. One of the
Blog Posts by Marie Claire
Get ready, the holidays are here! This is the season of parties, family, food and gift giving, lots and lots of gift giving. From the office Secret Santa to stuffing stocking at home, you've probably got a list that covers a lot of ground, but don't worry, we've sorted through all your holiday options and come up with a list of stocking stuffers that will fit any budget and satisfy even the most discerning recipient.Read More »from The 10 Best Stocking Stuffers
You have heard over and over that frequent small meals boost your metabolism and are the key to a slimmer waistline. But have you tried this diet and run out of interesting snacks by day two?
Padma Lakshmi, model and Top Chef host (and undoubtedly one of Hollywood 's most beautiful women) shares a few of her favorite snacks, including a few you probably haven't heard of. With these recipes in your arsenal, you might actually want to snack a few extra times throughout the day and shed those tough last few pounds. Photo Credit: Craig Cutler
1. A savory smoothie made with cucumber, yogurt, salt, and mint leaves. Based on an Afghani drink, this is a nice post-workout drink that will keep you from splurging on dinner and undoing all of your work at the gym.2. Deviled eggs, with half the yolks removed, the remaining folded with nonfat yogurt and seasoned, then stuffed back into the whites. This sounds more like a great appetizer than a routine snack. If this is what Padma eats on her diet, it's no wonderRead More »from Padma Lakshmi's Favorite Snacks
I have always found myself getting closer to girls as the crispy fall weather sets in, and I look forward to having a date at holiday parties and catching the holiday sights with a special girl.Read More »from Holiday Hurdles for Your Relationship
However, upon further review, I have uncovered some quandaries that the holidays present.
Where do we go?
My family has Christmas traditions that are so embedded in our psyches that these traditions are immovable forces. Now, as people get married in our family, we have to consider other families' holidays. Most couples I know do the Thanksgiving/Xmas tradeoff: the wife has the husband join her family for Thanksgiving, and the husband has his wife join his family for Xmas. Then they swap the holidays the next year. When families live near one another things are easier, but holiday plan negotiations can definitely cause conflict.
Photo Credit: Digital Vision/Getty Images
To buy, or not to buy a gift
The other day I was walking home with my friend from work, and she was contemplating whether she should buy a gift for this guy she just
Sometimes we all need a little extra oomph to face that ex we're bound to see while home for the holidays. Be ready with these sizzling hot holiday makeup tips from über-designer Tom Ford.Read More »from 4 Hot Holiday Makeup Tips
"Go for 24-karat-gold lips."
According to Hollywood lore, Marlene Dietrich demanded that makeup artist Max Factor sprinkle real gold dust into her hair to make it appear as if it were gleaming on film. Wearing golden makeup can have the same impact on your features when viewed in sultry, low lighting. So to offset a come-hither gaze and give your mouth a flirty finish, layer on translucent gold lipstick.
Tip: If gold lipPhoto Credit: Greg Delvesstick alone doesn't "pop" enough for you, layer it over your everyday lip color to give it
"Spray on a dark, musky, warm scent."
This type of aroma is like comfort food: irresistible. Ford's favorite? Tom Ford Estée Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude, natch.
Also try: Thierry Mugler Alien and Versace Crystal Noir.
Tip: Musky scents can come
Throwing a great holiday party is all about the ambiance, but creating ambiance can be pricy and time consuming. Marie Claire talked with Genevieve Gorder, star of HGTV's Dear Genevieve, about how to transform your teeny studio into an entertaining oasis.Read More »from 4 Ways to Create the Perfect Holiday Pad
MC: The last tablecloth I had became a cape for a Nacho Libre costume. Now what?
GG: Layering old beautiful bedding, like a worn velvet throw over a cheap linen tablecloth, is a great look. Think rustic chic instead of the matchy-matchiness of your mom's stuff.
MC: The only nice plates I have are the Little House on the Prairie collector's-edition set, and I can't eat with Half Pint staring up at me.
Photo Credit: Spike MaffordGG: If you have thousands of dollars and want that bone china, great, but most of us don't want that these days, whether we're 52 or 22. So scour thrift stores-eBay is great. Etsy has quirky homemade ceramics. And of course, the classic white plate is about a buck at Ikea. But have fun with your tablescape! Embrace imperfection. Let it be
Channel Betty Draper and make sure the damn bird isn't better dressed than you are.
1. Worried you'll sample a little too much of your cooking before the guests arrive? Opt for a monochromatic jumpsuit and oversize blazer. It looks chic, and will hide any stray blobs of cranberry sauce. PullPhoto Credit: Randy Brooke/ wireimage.com the blazer over that paunch, and reach for another slice of pie - you deserve it.
2. Your friends who said they'd help are nowhere to be found. Go all Stepford in a cropped jacket (the better to avoid kitchen fires!) and miniskirt combo with flats, and no one will be able to tell that you've been sweating it in the kitchen on your own.
3. Everything went wrong - from the yams in your bangs to the deflated soufflé. Call for pizza, keep your apron on over your dress (as a tribute to Prada), and turn a festive dishrag into a head scarf. Everyone will be too busy talking about your trendsetting getup to notice they're eating Papa John's.
4. Your guests are hours early, and the turkey's
Read More »from 8 Must-Pack Items for Holiday Travel
Look Ma, no fighting! Save yourself a migraine and load your suitcase up with these 10 troubleshooting must-haves for every possible sticky situation.
Earplugs: Drown out Dora the Explorer at 6 a.m. - and your brother's snoring at 12 a.m. Now that Grandma's on Facebook, you know you're gonna get tagged in all those family photos, so get your beauty sleep.
Kat Von D's Tattoo Concealer: "What butterfly on my ankle? That's dirt."
Face mist and workout gear: Skip the awkward morning family time and fake a run. Then, find a bench, and call your Fave Five to commiserate. On the return, spritz face mist for faux endorphin glow.
Dry shampoo: Say goodbye to waiting in line for the shower, and spray some into your hair for a just-washed look.
Luna bars: Whether your empty nester parents are now on the South Beach diet or you want to avoid extra helpings at dinner, stash these in your purse for nutritional fueling.
Starbucks VIA powdered coffee: Stir your favorite blend into hot water, put on
- Marie Claire | Work + Money – Fri, Nov 13, 2009 10:11 PM EST
Sidestep awkward conversation with this small-talk cheat sheet.Read More »from 15 Ways Get Your Family Off Your Case this Holiday
Christopher Robbins/Getty ImagesYou Were Laid Off
Four ways to head off "taking initiative" lectures.
- "Mom, can I borrow the computer? I need to log on to LinkedIn."
- "It's OK to bring my résumé to the Johnson's party, right?"
- "I need some alone time - to prepare for phone interviews."
- Bring your briefcase home - they don't need to know it's stashed with old issues of MC.
You Just Broke Up
Five white lies about the split to make them stop asking.
- "Blame it on Sex and the City, Grandpa."
- "He said he was intimidated by my professional success - it made me realize I need someone more focused."
- "Can we talk about this later? I have a date tonight."
- "Yes, Nana, I do want kids… Yes, you will know them."
- "I couldn't date a guy who hates your cooking, Mom."
You're Not Ready for a Baby
What to do when everyone's saying it's your turn.
- Hiding the pill: "What, this? It's a breath mint." …from my gynecologist.
- "I just love sushi
Even Taming Your Inner Brat author Pauline Wallin, Ph.D., a psychologist who helps patients manage their rage, sometimes gets steamed. Here's how she deals:
Photo Credit: Katja Govorushchenko/ iStockStart by saying "At least." As in, "At least I won't have to see this rude waiter ever again." It shifts perspective from problem to solution.
Actively decide not to pick a fight. Say you have a dollar's worth of energy to spend every day. Is this person worth 80 cents of that energy? In the grand scheme, unless the situation is life-changing (like a maniacal boss, in which case you might consider a new job), taking deep breaths and letting it go is a wise choice.
Want more tips on controlling your emotions? Keep Reading.
MORE From Marie Claire
Quiz: Do You Need Therapy?
How Breakups Hurt Your Health
Home For the Holidays: Your Survival Guide
Is Separation Necessary For a Healthy Relationship?
Reprinted with Permission of HearstRead More »from Manage Your Anger
Sweating a pink slip? Adopt one of these quirky-but-crucial office personas:
Cubicle Perephoto credit: N. Hendrickson/iStockz You've got the dirt on who's warring, macking, and fudging her expenses.
Lady PMS The gal who's always packing Kotex, Motrin, and Milk Duds.
Venti Sprinter When the boss joneses for her 3 p.m. latte.
Powerball Princess They give you a dollar - and their hopes for an early retirement.
Are there some characters that you work with missing from this list? What tactics you've seen or used to create a unique office persona?
MORE From Marie Claire
The Bottom Line: Job Perks in a Recession
5 Vacations That Could Boost Your Career
The Girl's Guide to Getting a Job
Reprinted with Permission of Hearst Communications, Inc
Read More »from What's Your Office Persona?