Stephanie SinclairSurrogate Mothers: Womb for Rent Customer service, tech support...these days we outsource everything to India. So why not pregnancy? Here is a report on the growing number of Indian women willing to carry an American child.
Born into the Japanese Mob Born into Japan's most notorious crime syndicate, Shoko Tendo is struggling to break free of her violent legacy. Marie Claire's Abigail Haworth met the marked woman in Tokyo.
Please Set Me Free Forced to serve as a tourist attraction in a human zoo, the long-neck women of Thailand want to cast off their coils and live modern lives like the rest of us - if only the government would let them. Few tourists are aware of the scandalous situation, Zember explains, because the women's wages are docked if they discuss their plight. So they "smile and say nothing."
The FBI's Most Wanted Woman Shadowy details of her case have inspired protests around the world - particularly among Muslim women who are convinced Siddiqui spent the last five years in
Blog Posts by Marie Claire
Stephanie SinclairSurrogate Mothers: Womb for Rent Customer service, tech support...these days we outsource everything to India. So why not pregnancy? Here is a report on the growing number of Indian women willing to carry an American child.Read More »from 4 Shocking International News Stories
What's He REALLY Thinking? MarieClaire.com's male dating blogger Rich Santos reveals what men really think about sex, dating, relationships, and you. Discover more secrets of the male mind, read Rich's dating diary, Sex and the Single Guy.Read More »from 5 Surprising Secrets Men Keep
Alloy Photography/Veer1. We notice what you're wearing. Make sure you cater what you wear to what you're doing. I try not to make a girl walk too much if she's in heels. Also, I've seen girls wear pearls and a nice blouse to trashy outdoor drinking events, or heels to sporting events.
2. We hate when you try too hard to be one of the guys. It's pretty lame that my buddies and I invent words and languages and then giggle over them like school children. But what's even lamer: when some outsider tries to use the language, without ability to contribute. That's what one of my old girlfriends did. My friends and I would discuss how she was trying to speak like us, and it got to the point where I bristled every time I heard her speak one of our made up words.
3. We are afraid of
Got the recession blues? Pass the fries! Watch out -- bad times can take a toll on your good looks. The ugly truth, by the numbers...Read More »from Is the economy making you fat?
WeAre Adventurers/iStock PhotoSUPERSIZE ME: Thanks to deals like the McDonald's Dollar Menu and Wendy's THREEconomics, a cheeseburger is cheaper than a grapefruit. "People are stressed, and they're tempted into eating poorly," says Beth Kobliner, the author of Get a Financial Life. Indeed, almost half of Americans reported eating unhealthy foods or overeating in order to manage stress in 2008, according to the American Psychological Association. (At least you're not alone.)
BIG FAT PROFITS: People are flocking to cheap comfort food, with McDonald's almost doubling its earnings in 2008, taking in a hefty $4.3 billion, up from $2.4 billion in 2007.
GOOBERS, PLEASE: Candy sales tend to go up in downturns, and this time is no different: Nestle's profits jumped nearly 11 percent in 2008, while Cadbury's spiked 30 percent. You know what that means for your face: Bring on the Oxy-10.
Jeffrey Westbrook/Studio DNow busier than ever with mini-me daughters Violet and Seraphina, the Neutrogena spokesperson shares her simple grooming and fitness regimen.Read More »from What's in Jennifer Garner's Beauty Bag?
1. Tod's Pashmy Mummy bag, $1350: "This is big enough to carry everything I need, and bright colors make me happy."
2. Neutrogena Original Formula Facial Bar, $2.70: "I've been using this clean and simple soap since I was a kid."
3. Valslide Sliding Discs, $29.99: "I try to be consistent with my workout and not go overboard. I've been training with Valerie Waters for seven years."
4. Neutrogena MoistureShine Lipstick in Angel's Blush and Think Pink, $9.49 each
5. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunblock lotion, $9.99: "My mom has always been a big believer in sunblock, and now I use this sunscreen on myself and my daughters. I like that it contains naturally sourced minerals and a strong SPF."
6. Nerida Joy (business card shown): "If it weren't for Nerida, I would skip facials altogether, because it's so hard for me to sit still for
- Marie Claire | Love + Sex – Thu, May 7, 2009 3:55 PM EDT
What's the guy scene like in your town?
- Language Lessons: How To Speak Male During A Breakup
- 30 Best Beauty Products of the Year
- 5 Ways You're Sabotaging Your Relationship
- 50 Cheap Date Ideas
- Looking for More Love, Fitness & Career Advice? Subscribe to Marie Claire & Save!
Read More »from Survey: What's The Dating Scene Like In Your Town?
Valentin Casarsa/iStockHello guys. Today I want to talk about the man who is currently responsible for adding more joy to my life than any other male in the world: my gym crush, Rich. He's about 6'5, huge dark eyes, and more importantly, he always cracks me up. He called me Moses for a while, after I told him I only ate fish; and after he caught me reading "Brother Karamazov" on the elliptical machine, my nickname became The Intellectual.Read More »from The 5 Men You Should Never Date
I do fantasize a little about dating Rich ... but I'd never so much as go out for coffee with him, like he's hinted that we should do, not in a million years. That has nothing to do with his age (24)--I am an unapologetic cradle-robber, ladies and gents. It has everything to do with his gym membership. If we got romantically involved, and it went to heck, and we got romantically uninvolved, I'd feel so uncomfortable about going to the gym that, instead, I'd sit at home every night, stuffing my face with dates and peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches, watching
stockphoto4u/iStockCut back on low-carb snacks.
Many bars and candies contain glycerin or sugar alcohols, which can cause bloating because your body can't fully digest them, says Leslie Bonci, R.D., at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Exercise Myths: 6 Ab Mistakes That Make You Fat
Watch it with condiments.
Condiments can be high in salt, leaving you bloated and puffy. A quarter cup of ketchup gives you a third of a day's sodium allotment; a tablespoon of soy sauce holds nearly half a day's worth.
4 Ab Workouts That Really Work
Push the potassium.
This natural diuretic can counteract the belly-bulging effects of extra salt. Find it in tomatoes, bananas, salmon, almonds and cherries.
Get Twice the Results (in half the time)
Have more H 2 O.
Drinking water makes you retain less water by carrying bloat-causing elements such as salt out of your body.
How To Get Strong Sexy Abs - The Easy Way
RELATEDRead More »from Eat Your Way To a Flat Stomach
S.Granitz/Wireimage.comGo ahead and slash that gym membership from your monthly expenses. Celebrity trainer Ramona Braganza shares the simple, 40-minute at-home workout that got Alba and Halle Berry into fab post-baby shape.
Follow her fat-burning program four times a week:
10-MINUTE CARDIO: Jog for two minutes; run hard for six; jog again for two.
STRENGTH TRAINING 1: Three rounds of 20 reps using 3-pound dumbbells.
- Forward lunge with biceps curl: Curl weights up as you step forward; release arms down and back as you return to starting position. Alternate legs.
- Reverse flys: Step forward with one leg, bend forward at the waist, and let arms hang. Raise arms, slightly rounded, to sides until they are in line with shoulders. Switch legs every 10 reps.
- Lateral raise: Stand with arms by your sides; lift arms out to the side until they're in line with shoulders.
STRENGTH TRAINING 2: Three Read More »from Get Jessica Alba's $200/Session Workout for $15
Chloe WebberGet a sexy, sleek and healthy stomach with the best gut-strengtheners of all time. The first three work all your ab muscles at once; the fourth slims and strengthens your sides. Add one or more of these moves to your ab routine every time and say hello to a new bikini.Read More »from 4 Ab Exercises That Really Work
Lie with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor, fingertips lightly touching behind your head, elbows out to the sides. Contract your abs and let your head, upper back and shoulders come off the floor. Keep your chin one fist's width from your chest. Hold and squeeze for a moment at the top, then slowly return to the starting position.
Beginner Tip: Don't pull your head with your hands! Imagine a rope pulling your body up from your sternum.
Lie on the floor with your fingertips behind your head. Bend your knees and raise your legs above your hips, calves parallel to the floor. Bring one elbow to the opposite knee while pressing the other leg away from your body at a 45-degree angle. Alternate
Our friends at fitness Mecca - Physique 57 have given us some fab exercise moves that are not only fun but really work! Tanya Becker, Co-Founder, Director of Training and Head Instructor of Physique 57 showed us the ropes. Tune in and feel the burn...