When you're the parent to a baby, your diaper bag is your lifeline. Without it, chaos ensues. Try this diaper bag eco-makeover to save your sanity, help your baby stay happy and healthy, and protect the Earth.
First off, start with a good bag. If you buy new, look for Earth-friendly textiles like organic cotton, hemp, bamboo, or recycled plastic. Check out Pristine Planet or Fleurville for some preferable options. If you're looking to re-use (the Earth-friendliest and most affordable option), avoid PVC which can leach phthalates and lead.
What should you fill it with?
Diaper Bag Must-Haves:
- Diapers - Look For: Chlorine-free, flushable or cloth
- Baby Wipes - Look For: Chlorine-free, unscented, refillable tubs, homemade
- Baby Lotion - Look For: Botanical-based, certified organic, even EVOO works
- Diaper Cream - Look For: Botanical-based, certified organic, zinc oxide for rashes
- Bottle - Look For: BPA-free plastic or glass