Blog Posts by InStyle.com
Step aside black and plum-there's a new shade in town. We've spotted gorgeous pewter polish on enough celebs that it's safe to call it a trend: Kim Kardashian (left), Paula Patton (right), Jenna Dewan and Beyonce. Pick a dark silver shade that has a touch of a metallic finish, but isn't too reflective-think brushed metal. Our favorites include Ms. Milani, which has tiny flecks of gold to give the color light, and Essie's Steel-ing the Scene, a tarnished hue with subtle shimmer.
Photo: INFphoto; Courtesy Photo; Time Inc. Digital Studio
Also on InStyle.com
Daily Beauty Tip
The 2009 Makeover Awards
10 Beauty Bargains From the Pros
Get Great Skin At Any Age
- Find Your Signature Beauty Style
- Daily Beauty Tip
The same way you wouldn't take a trip without a map, shopping without a plan in hand is, well, asking to get lost. See our step-by-step directions for finding your ideal wardrobe straight from InStyle's new book, The New Secrets of Style, on sale October 27. Click to pre-order your copy now!
Step 1: Plan
- Determine what you can spend. Set aside enough money to get what you need without spending more than you can afford. Remember that winter clothing often costs more than spring clothing, so plan accordingly.
- Feel good about yourself. If you're having a bad day, don't shop impulsively to lift your mood. It's a momentary high, but the steep bills you can incur will be killjoys.
- Dress comfortably. Wear lightweight clothes that are easy to get into and out of, as well as simple panties and a smooth bra to avoid distracting lines and creases when trying on tighter-fitting pieces. If what you're shopping for requires a specific undergarment-say, a strapless bra or
- InStyle.com | Fashion – Thu, Oct 22, 2009 6:01 PM EDT
Also on InStyle.com Get a Twilight Makeover: Try On New Moon Looks Now! See the Twilight Stars' High School Photos See Possible Wedding Sketches for Bella's Dress More Twilight Fashion and Beauty Secrets Five Things You Didn't Know About Taylor Lautne
- InStyle.com | Fashion – Wed, Oct 14, 2009 9:56 PM EDT
Also on InStyle.com Celebrities in Halloween Costumes Star Superstitions Revealed How to Work Orange into your Wardrobe This Fall See Your Favorite Stars, From First Glimpse to Ultra-Glam More Easy Star Halloween Costumes
Feel better in an instant with these easy tricks:
1. Be a Chocoholic
"Dark chocolate is the ultimate superfood," says integrative medicine specialist Jeffrey Morrison of N.Y.C. The high concentration of polyphenols helps protect your body from free radicals and can reduce the chance of heart disease and cancer. Your daily dose? "One ounce of dark chocolate (with 77 percent cocoa content)."
CHOCOLOVE Organic chocolate bars, $3 each; at Whole Foods.
2. Avoid the Fumes
That "new-paint smell" you're used to is actually the scent of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) being released into the air. Opt for a zero-VOC paint and you won't even have to air out a room before you can enter it. Benjamin Moore's new Natura line is VOC-free and available in more than 3,000 hues.
BENJAMIN MOORE Natura paints in Erin Green, Poppy, Purple Rain, and Mozart Blue, $50/ gallon; 800-672-4686 for stores.
3. Get on Tap
Trade in that plastic water bottle for a reusableRead More »from 10 Ways to Detoxify Your Life