Kim Kardashian Dishes on Dating, Beauty Secrets, Plastic Surgery and More!
Blog Posts by Self Magazine
By Jenny Everett, SELF magazineRead More »from Can Leggings Fight Cellulite?
Dimples on your face? Adorable! On your thighs and butt? Well, not so much.
Related: How to Drop A Size The Healthy Way
Cellulite is a genetic reality for almost 90 percent of women, which is why we're always intrigued and -- we'll admit it -- tempted by products such as these Turbocell Leggings. The manufacturer claims the compression technology will "micro-massage" away cellulite, reducing dimples by 20 percent and taking 2 inches off your thighs and butt.
The catch: You must wear the leggings eight hours a day, for eight weeks. And could they possibly work anyway? To find out if they're brilliant or bogus, we spoke to two leading cellulite experts.
The first thing to understand is what, exactly, cellulite is.
Related: Superfoods For Glowing Skin
"If you imagine your skin... under that skin is a subcutaneous fatty layer and the next layer is the fascia, a shiny surface that overlies the muscle," says Barry M. Weintraub, MD, spokesman for the
By Keri Conan, SELF magazine
A hearty bowl of pasta plus savory cheese? You'd never know this whole-grain comfort food is diet-friendly! Squash supplies all the vitamin A you need for the day.
- 8 oz whole-wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 sage leaves
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 lb), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1. Cook penne as directed on package.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Fry sage, turning once, until crisp on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper towel.
4. Add onion and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and golden, about 3 minutes.
5. Add squash, 3/4 cup water, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until squash softens, 5 to 7 Read More »from How to Make Butternut Squash and Fried Sage Pasta
Eat the following foods for a clear, young, glowing complexion. Dig in so you look as healthy as you feel!
Lose weight, ease stress and gain energy by simply drinking these brews.
By Blake Miller, SELF magazine
From food to gear, here are so-worth-it ways to stay well, plus the cash to cover them.
How the sexy TV and movie star changed her body and why she refuses to give up chocolate cake.
By Stephanie Clarke, R.D., and Willow Jarosh, R.D., SELF magazine
When to enjoy and when to ditch questionable foods like moldy cheese and more.
Fashion Week is over, but here are the hot trends. Our amazing fashion editors handpicked their favorites to inspire your next shopping trip!
By Marisa Cohen, SELF magazine
Sidestep these common nutritional pitfalls and you'll be a healthier, happier part-time vegetarian.