Fabio gives us his tricks & tips on using tomatoes and creates a flavorful, super-simple marinara sauce with fresh garlic and canned tomatoes.
Tips and secrets in episode:
• Slice tomatoes with a very sharp knife to keep in the juices
• How to refresh overripe tomatoes
• For sauce, 90% of the time canned is better because it contains more flavor. Use canned variety packed in tomato juice not water.
• Crush the tomatoes yourself as one of the last steps to maintain deep flavor.
• Prepare an Italian tomato sauce with olive oil. When the oil starts to turn red in color the sauce is finished cooking.
The Perfect Tomato Sauce
Recipe by Fabio Viviani
Cook time: 10 Minutes
Yield: 2 Cups of Sauce
6 cloves garlic
6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes (packed in only tomato juice)
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
3-4 leaves fresh basil for garnish
Smash 6 cloves of garlic with the back of a knife.
Over medium heat, cook garlic in 3 Tbsp. of EVOO until Read More »from Fabio's Marinara Sauce