ThinkstockEach fall, Veterinary Pet Insurance gives out the Hambone Award to a dog who has gotten himself into some kind of unbelievable trouble. The Hambone Award was named in honor of a VPI-insured dog who was discovered inside his family's refrigerator along with a hambone - as in what was left of the ham when he was through with it. The dog escaped with a mild case of hypothermia and maybe an upset tummy.
Just like all the winners of the Hambone Award, that first dog was lucky. As chief veterinary officer at the nation's oldest and largest pet health insurance company, I see claims every day for the veterinary expenses of pets whose endings aren't as happy.
This year's Hambone winner, Winnie the Pooch, ate a 2-pound bag of frozen onion rings. The owners, not realizing that onions present a serious risk to dogs and cats - they can trigger hemolytic anemia, a condition that can be fatal if too many red blood cells are damaged - figured their dog would just have aRead More »from 5 Simple Ways to Help Keep Your Pet Safe