Easy as pie! Every time we visit the city of Chicago, there is always a guaranteed visit to a Cubs game and a Chicago-style pizza restaurant. We are big fans of the delicious layered pizza pie that takes careful timing to prepare. Although this version is not quite as time-consuming, it's great to satisfy our deep-dish pizza craving as we wait for our next Windy City excursion.
1-14 ounce can peeled crushed tomatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1- 11 ounce refrigerated french bread dough
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 ounces pepperoni, thinly sliced
1/3 cup parmesan, shredded
Related: Leave the grease to Colonel Sanders - 26 light-and-easy chicken dishes we love
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. In a large bowl, combine crushed tomatoes with garlic, parsley, oregano and basil.
3. Brush 9-inch cake pan with olive oil.
4. On a floured surface, roll bread
Blog Posts by Disney Spoonful
- Disney Spoonful | Author Blog Posts – Thu, Aug 22, 2013 1:46 PM EDT
Easy as pie! Every time we visit the city of Chicago, there is always a guaranteed visit to a Cubs game and a Chicago-style pizza restaurant. We are big fans of the delicious layered pizza pie that takes careful timing to prepare. Although this version is not quite as time-consuming, it's great to satisfy our deep-dish pizza craving as we wait for our next Windy City excursion.Read More »from Try a Chicago-Style Pizza Recipe That's Not Out of Your Depth
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Wed, Aug 21, 2013 4:57 PM EDT
This rich and delicious dinner will have your guests asking for the recipe! Calling all bacon lovers! My mom always topped her meatloaf with a sweet and tangy tomato gravy. My husband's mom always topped hers with bacon. After we got married, I married the meatloaf recipes too and we all lived happily ever after. This recipe makes a lot, but the leftovers are spectacular when sandwiched between two slices of toasted bread.Read More »from How Do You Make a Must-Try Meatloaf? Just Add Bacon!
6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons (I used Glutino Parmesan Garlic Bagel Chips)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley
3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 pound ground chuck
1 pound ground pork
1 large egg
8 slices of thinly sliced bacon
1 1/2 cups ketchup
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons of brown sugar
Splash of hot sauce, such as Tabasco, if desired
Related: Beef enchiladas, taco cups and 12 more Mexican beef recipes
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Wed, Aug 21, 2013 2:45 PM EDT
Blueberries and Boy Bands! Chow down on Justin's favorite treat while watching the VMA's! It's time to say "Hi Hi Hi" to the amazing 90's band, *NSYNC! Rumor has it that the boys will be reuniting on stage for the first time in 11 years this Sunday at The MTV Video Music Awards. Fingers crossed! Lead man Justin Timberlake's favorite sweet treat is his Granny's Blueberry Crunch Cake. To celebrate this exciting reunion, we took a healthier spin on JT's favorite dessert with these Oatmeal Blueberry Bars.Read More »from We Want Them Back! Make a Justin Timberlake-Inspired Treat for the *NSYNC Reunion
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cup blueberry spreadable fruit , or low-sugar preserves
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup white, whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup skim or low-fat milk
6 tablespoons cold butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice, from about 1/2 a lemon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Related: 11 easy drop cookies that can be on your table tonight
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with 2-inch sides with
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Tue, Aug 20, 2013 4:55 PM EDT
You will feel like a super hero after you tackle this cupcake recipe!
Celebrate the launch of the groundbreaking video game, Disney Infinity, with these Incredible cupcakes! Despite being relegated to a desk job, Mr. Incredible continues to battle evil in his spare time. This treat, inspired by the logo on the popular Super's crime-fighting suit, makes a fitting tribute to an equally deserving hero on any day of the week.
Batch of cupcakes baked in red or yellow cupcake liners
Oval fondant cutters, 2-1/4 inch wide and 1-1/2 inch wide
Yellow M&M's candies
1. Frost the cupcakes.
2. Roll out the two fondant colors separately between sheets of wax paper.
3. For each cupcake, use the larger fondant cutter to cut out a yellow oval and the smaller cutter to cut out a black oval.
4. Slice each of the black ovals into two pieces so that the left piece isRead More »from Are You Game? Make Disney Infinity-Inspired Cupcakes
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Tue, Aug 20, 2013 1:45 PM EDT
If you heart Demi Lovato, then take a look at this sweet recipe! Did you forget? It's Demi Lovato's birthday! The 21-year-old "Heart Attack" singer is known for her love of ooey, gooey Rice Krispie Treats! These sweet treats are the perfect way to celebrate.Read More »from Give These Hearts a Break! Celebrate Demi Lovato’s Birthday with Sweet Krispie Treats
3 tablespoons margarine
6 cups mini (or 60 regular-size) marshmallows
Red food coloring
9 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Heart-shaped cookie cutter
Plastic bags, yarn
Related: 12 homemade ice cream recipes that rival Baskin-Robbins
1. To begin, lightly coat a 10- by 15-inch baking sheet with cooking spray and set it aside.
2. Melt the margarine in a large pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows, stirring them continuously until they melt. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in drops of red food coloring until the color receives a thumbs-up from the chef.
3. Add the Rice Krispies, stirring until they are evenly coated with marshmallow. Spoon the mixture onto the baking sheet.
4. With waxed paper (or lightly buttered hands), smooth out the mixture,
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Mon, Aug 19, 2013 4:47 PM EDT
A very happy birthday to President Clinton! This recipe is one of his favorites. President Clinton is a big fan of this sweet, delicious treat! The promise of freshly baked goodness will surely draw those sleepy heads out of bed and into the kitchen, especially once they catch a whiff. Because you make the dough the night before and allow it to rise slowly in the fridge overnight, in the morning, all you have to do is pop them in the oven. Though many are intimidated by making yeast dough, you'll find that this one is soft and yielding and so easy to handle. I enjoy the work of kneading dough by hand, but if you don't have the time or inclination, the "dough" setting on your bread machine will work just fine, as will a dough hook attachment on a stand mixer.Read More »from It’s Bill Clinton’s Birthday! Make His Favorite Cinnamon Rolls to Celebrate
4 cups bread flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup warm -- not hot -- milk
1/4 cup warm -- not hot -- water
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
1 extra large egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast, (1 envelope)
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Mon, Aug 19, 2013 1:38 PM EDT
Use some Disney inspiration for your cupcakes! It's National Cupcake Day! Inspired by a pair of mice who are sweet on each other, these frosting-filled treats are incredible. Today is the perfect excuse to indulge in a cute cupcake!
Cupcake frosting (blue and pink)
2 disposable pastry bags with wide tips
Batch of baked cupcakes
Serrated kitchen knife
2 round fondant cutters (1/2 inch wide and 1¼ inch wide)
1. Spoon each of the frosting colors into a pastry bag. Set the bags aside for now.
2. Slice the tops off the cupcakes. If the tops are overly round, lightly press down on them to flatten them a bit. Then use the fondant cutters to cut a mouse head-shaped opening in the center of each one, as shown.
3. Dust the cupcake tops with powdered sugar. Then pipe some frosting atop the cupcake bottoms, blue for Mickey and pink for Minnie.
4. Gently set the tops back on theRead More »from Celebrate National Cupcake Day with Ear-resistible Mickey & Minnie Treats
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Fri, Aug 16, 2013 2:15 PM EDT
Delicious and Nutritious! Pierogies remind me of Italian ravioli. Stuffed with cheese, boiled and browned, they are just as delicious. I just had to attempt to try to make my own because I knew this was something my son would love. After some careful planning, I decided to simplify the traditional pierogi recipe by using potsticker wrappings. The result was a success! I saved time an had dinner for my little one ready in less than half hour. Pierogies can also be stuffed with ground meat or made sweet with fruit.Read More »from Meal in Minutes! Try This Easy Italian Twist on Pierogies
2 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup goat cheese (or parmesan cheese) crumbled
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 packages (10oz. each) gyoza/potsticker wrappers
1 egg white, beaten
Butter for browning, approximately 3 tablespoons divided
1 small tomato, chopped (for garnish)
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Related: 27 light-and-easy chicken dishes we love!
1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. In a separate
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Fri, Aug 16, 2013 1:48 PM EDT
There's nothing cheesy about this! Joke's on you! You won't have to say "cheese" to make your kids smile once they sample this lunch look-alike.Read More »from Celebrate National Joke Day! Make "Grilled Cheese" with a Hidden Prank
1 cup buttercream or white frosting (canned is just fine)
Yellow and red food coloring
Related: 10 Strange recipes from around the world
1. Cut the pound cake into bread-like slices and toast them in a toaster oven just until they turn golden brown. Once they've cooled for a few minutes, stack two slices for each sandwich and cut the stack in half diagonally (slicing the sandwich before you fill it makes for fewer crumbs).
2. Now tint the frosting by stirring in a few drops of yellow and red food coloring (more yellow than red) to get a shade of orange that resembles American cheese.
3. Carefully spread frosting between the slices of each half sandwich. If you mound the frosting on one slice, then top it with the other and gently press down, the frosting will ooze out a bit and look all the more like melted cheese. Makes
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Thu, Aug 15, 2013 3:20 PM EDT
The best slow cooker dinner!When the school year hits, we all want good food fast. Lasagna is one of those complete meals that's usually a hit with everyone. Its only flaw is that it can take so long to prepare. Enter your slow-cooker. This recipe requires just 20 minutes to get this lasagna on its way to pleasing everyone at the table.Read More »from Mangia! Make the Best Slow-Cooker Lasagna ... Ever
1 lb lean ground beef
2 jars (each 24 oz.) spaghetti sauce (homemade or store-bought)
2 cups water
1 lb. whole-milk ricotta cheese
2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
18 ruffle-edged lasagna noodles (not no-boil noodles)
1 1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese, grated
Related: 21 delicious pastas you can claim as secret family recipes
1. Brown ground beef on medium heat (about 10-12 minutes). Add your favorite spaghetti sauce (store bought or homemade) add water and bring to a simmer. Set aside on low heat stirring occasionally.
2. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, parsley, salt and pepper to