- Sun, Aug 18, 2013 10:58 PM EDT | Comments
- Common Sense Media | Back To School | Thu, Aug 15, 2013 3:40 PM EDT | CommentsBy Ingrid Simone, Common Sense Media editor
4 ways to keep math practice fun.
Want to sharpen your kids' math skills before school starts? Luckily, daily math practice doesn't have to be drill-and-kill. We found four highly engaging math apps that will help kids brush up their skills in a fun -- and totally painless -- way.
1. Marble Math: This fantastic app is a winner of the Common Sense Media ON for Learning Award. In it, kids see math problems at the top of the screen, such as "Collect fractions that add up to 2," and then navigate through a maze with their marble to pick up answers to the problem.
Skills: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, Roman numerals, decimals, negative numbers, and more
--> Why We Like It
- The tricky mazes are fun to move through and solve.
- It empowers kids to customize the experience to their needs by selecting their level of difficulty, the specific skills they want to focus on, and more.
- Kids get good feedback and help; the "show me" button lets kids see the corr
- Sun, Aug 18, 2013 10:56 PM EDT | CommentsIt's back-to-school season and you know what that means - back to setting the alarm, back to preparing school lunches, and back to everybody's favorite pastime - homework. If your kids are like mine, homework gets done anywhere and everywhere between the kitchen table and the family room floor. And while it doesn't much matter where homework gets done, it's sure nice to have a dedicated space for your child to remain focused and organized while they learn. And hey, having all their papers and books out of the way doesn't hurt either. Now that my youngest is entering the 1st grade, it's high time I scored him a great kids' desk at an affordable price. Check out these 7 desks that are perfect for back-to-school! - By Mommyfriend
MORE ON BABBLE
8 days during the school year when kids can use an extra pick-me-up
8 ways to beat the morning rush with your kids
15 vintage back-to-school ads that should've been banned
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Back To School | Fri, Aug 16, 2013 2:58 PM EDT | Comments
aggressive behavior with soft-drinks consumption.... Got a fighting-prone 5-year-old? You might want to consider cutting back on the little one’s soda intake, as a new study has linked young kids’ Read More »
More on Shine: How to Quit Your Diet Soda Habit for Good
A recent flurry of research has focused on adult soda drinkers, pointing to increased risks of stroke, obesity, kidney damage, and high blood pressure. But this study, published Friday in the Journal of Pediatrics, focused on 5-year-old soda drinkers and behavioral problems, finding that those who drank four or more pops daily were more than twice as likely to attack others, fight with them or destroy their property. (Not a situation to aim for as back-to-school time approaches.)
More on Yahoo!: EU Soft Drinks to Fizz with Grain Syrup After Sugar Reform
“We found that the child’s aggressive behavior score increased with every increase in soft drinks servings per day, which was surprising,” lead researcher Shakira Suglia, an assistant professo
- Fri, Aug 16, 2013 2:59 PM EDT | Comments
The average family spends over $600 annually on back-to-school shopping, making it the second-biggest consumer-spending season of the year. Sure, it's easy to blow a wad of cash - especially when your children are anxious about making a good impression on their first day back - but you really don't have to break the bank to find fun items that kids will love. Here are Yahoo! Shine's picks for the coolest—and most affordable —items available. --Sarah B. Weir, Shine Senior Writer