By Annie Tomlin, Photographed by Bek Anderson, Refinery29
Does makeup make women feel bad about themselves? We last pondered the question back in Women's Studies 101, but this week, the New York Times resurrected it for another look. "If makeup has indeed become the status quo in the public realm," its latest Room For Debate column asks, "does it ultimately damage a woman's self-esteem, or elevate it?" To explore this issue, seven writers - makeup artists, writers, and researchers among them - argue whether makeup signifies female self-expression or an oppressive tool of the patriarchy.
We're all for a good rip-roaring debate, but this particular one is about as current as, well, frosted lilac lipstick. As third-wave feminists already argued decades ago, wearing makeup doesn't necessarily mean a woman feels inadequate without it - just as going bare-faced doesn't automatically lead to radical self-acceptance.
Don't get us wrong; when women feel pressured to wear makeup, that's
- Refinery29 | Beauty on Shine – Fri, Jan 4, 2013 10:22 AM EST
By Annie Tomlin, Photographed by Bek Anderson, Refinery29Read More »from The Question that Won't Go Away: Is Makeup Bad for Women's Self-Esteem?
- Your everyday beauty essentials have hidden talents: Unleash them with these 8 tricks that'll give you a gorgeous reboot -- with makeup you already own. Meet the totally free and easy makeover. By Kayleigh Donahue, REDBOOK.
More from REDBOOK:
Read More »from Pretty New Tricks with Your Everyday Makeup
by Jacqueline Gifford, Brides
The colder it gets outside, the more time we spend inside dreaming of an incredible tropical getaway. In anticipation of an upcoming luxury honeymoon, a girls' beach trip or family fun in the sun, we asked Brides' travel editor Jacquline Gifford to offer up some tips on how to prepare for the beach. Here, 9 ways to ready yourself from head to toe!
1. Whittle down your packing list.
For daytime, you'll need a couple of cute bikinis, two shorts, three nice T-shirts, a great cover-up (stylish enough to wear to lunch), and flip-flops. For evening, you'll want two nice dresses, a cute clutch, and stylish sandals. That's it! Don't be afraid to repeat outfits, beach vacations are generally low-key.
All that (plus toiletries and pj's) can easily fit into a standard carry-on suitcase. I love being able to get off a plane and go right to my hotel, change into my suit, and hit the beach. Avoid the temptation of over-packing, and you'll save money andRead More »from 8 Ways to Prep for Your Beach Vacation
BellaSugarSource: 6 Ways to Look Better Without Spending a Cent
Looking good doesn't have to cost a lot of money. In fact, it doesn't have to cost a thing. There are plenty of ways to look better without spending a single penny. We talked with top dermatologists, hair stylists, makeup artists, and estheticians to score their secrets for looking your best for the best price of all: free.
- De-puff while you sleep Banishing puffy eyes overnight is as easy as changing the way you sleep. "Elevating your head with pillows while sleeping helps the fluids from gathering around the under-eye area," says celebrity makeup artist Tina Turnbow. Got a few cents to spare? "Cucumbers and cold chamomile tea bags are great, too," she adds.
- Posture, please Standing tall can have long-term benefits. "My mother-in-law is 93 years old and has amazing posture," says dermatologist Dr. Kathy Fields, co-creator of Proactiv skin care. "She looks at least 20 to 30 years younger because of it! It's the
- BellaSugar | Beauty on Shine – Thu, Jan 3, 2013 4:09 PM EST
BellaSugarSource: Facial Oil Is Actually Good For Oily Skin - Yes, It's True!Read More »from Facial Oil is Actually Good for Oily Skin — Yes, It's True!
If you have oily skin, the last thing you want to put on your face is more oil, right? Think again. Using the right oils can actually help moisturize acne-prone skin and balance your sebum production. "Plant and nut oils are ideal for moisturizing an oily skin type," explains Annet King, director of global education for Dermalogica. "Essential oils from plants, roots, and flowers also have the added benefits of calming and soothing skin, while maintaining antibacterial and aromatherapy properties." In turn, botanically derived oils help to replenish barrier lipids that get stripped away during the Winter. And because they're lighter in texture, these antioxidant-packed types of oils won't clog follicles. See more tips on using facial oils on oily skin when you read more.
Cleansing is also an important part of any skin care routine, particularly for acne-prone types. While most breakout sufferers want to use
BellaSugarSource: Never Forget to Wash Your Face Before Bed AgainRead More »from Never Forget to Wash Your Face Before Bed Again
Admit it: sometimes you roll over in bed without removing your makeup (oops!). It happens to the best of us. But in 2013, resolve to wash your face every night to have healthier, clearer skin. Get a few simple tricks to make remembering easy when you read on.
1. Make it accessible: Cleansing doesn't always have to be at the sink. Keep products in multiple locations so it always fits in your busy schedule. Place a liquid wash in the shower, so it's easy to wash your face when you're already scrubbing down. If you have the tendency to fall asleep before cleansing, try packing makeup removing wipes in your nightstand for a quick fix.
2. Make it simple: Are you using a makeup remover followed by a face wash? Shorten the process with a double-duty product. Cleansing oils like Vapour Organic Beauty Clarity Cleansing Oil ($28) melt makeup (even waterproof formulas) while leaving your face free of dirt, too. You can also reach for a
Source: 8 Reasons You'll Love Clear Mascara
Clear mascara is one of those makeup products you might not use all that often, but it offers a little bit of something for everyone. At its basic level, clear mascara defines and separates the lashes, adding volume, the illusion of length, and a touch of brightening sparkle to the eyes. It also works to moisturize and condition eyelashes. But did you know that there are other ways you can utilize this multitasking wonder? It will all be crystal clear when you read more.
You'll love clear mascara because it . . .
- Tames eyebrows for an instantly polished look.
- Helps put flyaways in their place.
- Locks in curl and sets your lash look.
- Can be used as a primer before applying your regular mascara to give your lashes extra volume.
- Can be used as a top coat to intensify shine and keep your mascara from smudging.
- Can be used on the bottom lashes for a lighter, daytime look that won't run.
- Is perfect for creating a
Source: What We're Sweet On: A Lip Balm For Ski BunniesRead More »from What We're Sweet On: A Lip Balm for Ski Bunnies
Lip balm may be the most-used beauty product during the Winter months, as dry, chapped, peeling, flaky (and even bleeding) lips are a trademark of the season. Enter Rodial Glam Balm Lip ($25), which will protect your mouth from whipping winds, plummeting temperatures, and then some. You might ask, though, why you would spend extra money on this particular lip product when others can be easily procured at the local grocery store for practically pennies.
Usually it requires multiple, strategically placed products to keep lips supple (one at work, one in every handbag, another on the vanity). But the creamy consistency of this glam balm will break your dependence on other greasy sticks and pots. Rose wax and shea butter gets under the cracks for a smoothed-out appearance, and vitamin E provides long-lasting moisture. Plus, the high-shine finish eliminates the need for gloss. Ski bunnies and slope enthusiasts everywhere will
By Wendy Rodewald, Daily MakeoverRead More »from This Extreme Makeover Sounds Totally Scary
We happen to think Kate Bosworth's different colored eyes are pretty striking. If you thought gruesome sounding cosmetic procedures like butt injections and leech detoxes were bad, a story in the New York Times today will make you cringe. The article explores the underground market for iris implants, which can be used to change eye color for cosmetic reasons, but aren't approved for use in most countries since ophthalmologists generally consider the implants a terrible idea. A woman born with two different colored eyes, a condition called heterochromia, paid $7,000 to have the surgery performed in Panama. Two years after the procedure, her vision started to get "spotty" and she had to have the implants removed, though her vision didn't completely return to normal. One doctor is now working to try to ban the surgery.
From our perspective, we can't figure out why someone would want to change their eye color in the first place, especially if they had a feature that made them resemble Kate Bosworth. Blue, brown, green, hazel - any
- Babble.com | Beauty on Shine – Thu, Jan 3, 2013 3:02 PM EST
The start of a new year is the perfect time to recreate a new you -- or at least improve the old one. But popping a bit more personality into your look doesn't require tossing out your old wardrobe and replacing it with a million-dollar one, or even getting a super-pricey facial. Rather, a simple and affordable way to update your look is by getting a new 'do. And what better way to invest in a new coiff than by getting one that will be trendy when the warmer seasons roll around? Lucky for you, I've rounded up some of the hottest hair trends straight from the runway. So start the year off right by styling those strands with one of these edgy new 'dos, and you'll be sure to stand out. Click through for 7 hot hair trends to look forward to this year! - By Rachelle Wilde
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from New You, New 'Do: 7 Hot Hair Trends to Look Forward to This Year
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST