A thousand years ago, the ink was still wet on my college diploma and I was excitedly traveling through Europe with my best friend. It was summer, we were young, and we felt free.
Moments after we landed in the French Riviera and saw the gorgeous turquoise water and white-sanded beaches, we brazenly stripped off our shirts and bikini tops and bared bits of our body that hadn't seen sunshine since we were toddlers.
Of course, it was no big deal there, as in countless other parts of the world where it seems ridiculous to be covered up at all under the cover of such brilliant sunshine. But we were delighted to be reveal more than we would have dreamed back home, around the dorms, or even on the beaches in our own country. We tried to appear cool, calm, and collected as the palest-skinned places quickly turned pink and then a deep and painful shade of crimson.
Even through the eventual blistering, peeling, and embarrassing itching, we looked at our sunburned breasts like trophies of our
A thousand years ago, the ink was still wet on my college diploma and I was excitedly traveling through Europe with my best friend. It was summer, we were young, and we felt free.Read More »from Would you dare to go bare at the beach?
28 Easy tricks for getting your body in shape-fast.
More from Allure:
Let's be honest: Even if you apply your daily sunscreen religiously and spend your summers under wide-brimmed hats, exposure happens. And it can lead to a dull, mottled complexion. We're not talking cute freckles here - although those are UV by-products too. We're talking splotches that are nobody's idea of cute, plus an allover, lackluster eh.Read More »from Get Your Glow On
But, there are brightening options. Here are some from the experts.
Add sparkle to your shower. You likely already use a body wash but make your next one exfoliating to slough off skin, and add in glow: many now leave behind a trail of shimmer. PLUS: Do this to elevate your shower experience.
Rethink your bronzer. "Mix your summer bronzer with a fresh pink blush," says film makeup artist Tricia Sawyer. "You'll look healthy, not tan." Use bronzer in the hollows of your cheeks, "then sweep a pink shade on the apples," she says. PLUS: We've got seven secrets to faking a summer tan.
Go green. It might look a little gross, but algae can make you
If you're trying to keep your waistline in check this summer, fill your fridge with snacks that satisfy and slim. Here, nutritionist Robyn Flipse, M.S., R.D., shares her suggestions for the best foods to help you lose weight and get bikini-ready.Read More »from 7 Body-Slimming Foods to Keep in Your Fridge
Throughout the summer, stock up on an array of seedless watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew to cube and have on hand when you feel the urge to "pick." Their high moisture content dilutes the calories per serving and provides you with more water - a great way to hydrate and feel fuller sooner.
Summer Suggestion: Which Should You Choose: An Orange or Glass of O.J.? Find Out!
Protein-rich dairy foods have been shown to aid in weight loss, so try starting your day with a yogurt parfait. Layer your favorite fat-free yogurt (try f-- e 0%, which is thick and super-creamy) with berries and crushed nuts or granola. Bonus tip: This makes a great dessert, too!
Summer Suggestion: Want Slimmer Abs or Killer Legs? Try These 12
Freaked out about fitting in your bikini? Don't be. Just read these amazing tips to look hotter in your swimsuit. No diet required! Plus: Find out how to pick the best swimsuit for your body type.
1) If you know you're going to hit the beach the next day or you have a pool party planned, apply some self-tanner the night before. Focus primarily on the outer and inner sides of your thighs and your tummy area. You'll want to shower in the morning so that you're fresh, but the subtle, extra color will make you more confident.
Don't miss Cosmo's Practice Safe Sun campaign! From uncovering misleading tactics used by tanning salons to supporting national legislation aimed at regulating the indoor-tanning industry, we've got everything you need to know to stay protected from skin cancer.
2) Instead of rushing to lay down your towel on the beach, take a couple extra minutes to discreetly dig a little hole (you can use your foot) in the shape of a large bowl. Then place your towelRead More »from 5 Secrets to Looking Fit in a Bikini
We all know the dangers about spending too much time soaking up the sun's rays. And tanning products and services can be expensive - not to mention hard to maintain. But still - there's nothing more beautiful than that healthy sun-kissed glow you love to wear in summer. Since May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, we've got five ways to look tanned from head to toe, all while saving a little money-and your skin!
1. Start with a matte bronzer on your face for an all-over tanned look. Two brands we like are MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation and Physician's Formula Bronze Booster Glow-Boosting Pressed Bronzer.
2. Use shimmer powders and bronzers for highlights on the elevated portions of your face: cheek, nose and brow bones. Stick to the highlights only - too much shimmer settles in lines and creases and can make you look like the Tin Man! We tried NARS Highlighting Blush Powder, Bronzing Powder or Sparkling Pressed Powder, as well as Physician's Formula Glow-BoostingRead More »from Get a Great Summer Glow Without the Commitment
- Glamour Magazine | Bikini – Tue, May 18, 2010 11:32 PM EDT
Some body-skin issues may make you feel like permanently covering up. These tips will help you come out of hiding.
More from Allure:
- ExerciseTV | Bikini – Tue, May 18, 2010 10:01 PM EDT
By Laurel House
Saddle bags weighing you down? Unfortunately, those sacks of excess side thigh fat neither jeans nor skirts successfully hide, seem to be the most difficult to singe off- no matter how many miles you run, spin cycles you sweat through, or side lunges you repeat. Yes, unlike a droopy butt, bat wing triceps, or even spare tire waist line, the muscles underlying the saddle bags are difficult to target, and therefore harder to tone up and trim down.
Thankfully, celeb trainer Jeanette Jenkins, Creator of The Hollywood Trainer Bikini Bootcamp, has a 3-step fitness, nutrition, and lifestyle program to help hone in on that side thigh flab, finally melting down those unforgiving saddle bags gripping your thighs.
Jeanette Jenkins' How To Get Thin and Toned Thighs mini-workout on ExerciseTV* is a great workout to use to slim your thighs.
Saddlebag Slenderizing Fitness Program
It won't be easy, but it will be worth it. Jeanette reminds us thatRead More »from 6-Week, 3-Step Good Bye Saddle Bags, Hello Bikini Program
To shave or to wax? Or to use a depilatory? Or to laser? Oh, and wait, what about electrolysis? There are many questions when it comes to getting rid of unwanted body hair-and the answers all depend on what body part you're talking about.
More from Allure:
Read More »from Allureâ€™s Head-to-Toe Guide to Hair Removal
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST