Looking for your next great read? Look no further. Real Simple's Facebook fans have you covered for the best books to read this summer.
Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected- A Memoir
by Kelle Hampton
To buy: $25, amazon.com
Recommended by Christine H.
Also See: Best Ways to Enjoy Summer
The Fifty Shades Trilogy
by E.L. James
To buy: $16, barnesandnoble.com.
Recommended by more readers than we could count.
Also See: Summer Party Planner
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
by Jenny Lawson
To buy: $26, amazon.com
Recommended by T.K.
Also See: 50 Fun Summer Activities Checklist
My Name is Memory
by Ann Brashares
To buy: $15, barnesandnoble.com.
Recommended by Carrie W.
Also See: Favorite Summer Recipes
The Dry Grass of August
by Anna Jean Mayhew
To buy: $15, barnesandnoble.com.
Recommended by Estela D.
Also See: Summery Pastel Clothing
Big Girl Small: A Novel
by Rachel DeWorskin
To buy: $25, amazon.com.
Looking for your next great read? Look no further. Real Simple's Facebook fans have you covered for the best books to read this summer.Read More »from Great Summer Books
- Oprah.com | Book Club – Wed, Jul 11, 2012 6:09 PM EDT
The truth-filled books to turn to when your mind is full of confused, not-so-helpful thoughts.Read More »from You're Not Alone: 4 Memoirs to Get You Through Hard Times
Photo: Courtesy of DuttonThe Situation: "He lied, he's cheated, and it's over. Now what do I do?"
The Book: Split: A Memoir of Divorce
By Suzanne Finnamore
272 pages; Dutton
Everybody who gets divorced ought to write a memoir about it, as Suzanne Finnamore has done in Split (Dutton), as a service to the rest of us struggling to unravel the mysteries of marriage.
Finnamore's story opens with a bang: her husband downing two martinis and announcing that he's leaving her and their toddler and their stylish house in wealthy Marin County, California.
He swears there is no other woman, though, naturally, there is.
RELATED: 9 Mysteries Every Thinking Woman Should Read
He's a liar and a smoothy--we all know the type--and he never deepens into a full-blown personality in Finnamore's story. Split is not a thoughtful autopsy of a marriage; it's impassioned and immediate, concerned only with its narrator's swinging moods
It seems like there are endless lists of of "The Best 100 Books Ever Written". Everyone from Time Magazine to Amazon to The New York Times seems to have complied a list. We at The Shine have sifted through the lists to come up with what we think are the the top 100. How many have you read already?Read More »from 100 Best Books Ever Written
Melissa Williams, HL&S Editor | Co-Owner, Yoga Junction The famout 3 Rs. You remember these, right? Well, it's no wonder all three --- R eading , w R iting , & a R ithmetic --- are essential for brain development.Read More »from Top 13 Sensational Books for Summertime
And while we're not going to make you write an essay or retake your algebra class, we are going to push the reading this summer. Summer is such an easy time to pick up a book. T.V. shows are down, repeats galore, and the days are longer, giving you more hours to curl up with a book.
According to research, reading has positive side effects that go far beyond just giving you a bit of R & R, 'me' time...
In addition to helping exercise the brain, picking up a book also relieves stress . And if you are lookin' to unload some of that stress, fiction is going to be a better choice since you don't have to work as hard to follow.
Reading also reduces your risk for Alzheimer's , helps with sleep , and increases concentration and focus during other activities.
So, what are you
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST