- Martha Stewart Living | Decorating Guide | Sat, Nov 16, 2013 12:40 PM EST | CommentsIt is the maddening law of the utensil drawer -- the odd thingamajig that you pawed over a million times between last December and last week has gone missing the one day you need it. Which is not to say you can't make biscuits without a biscuit cutter or a turkey without a bulb baster. Instead, try a stand-in.
For trussing drumsticks together so the bird cooks evenly.
Use them to cut a slit in the skin of the turkey neck, so you can tuck in the ends of the drumsticks to hold them in place.
For making perfectly round biscuits.
These will make similar uniform shapes. Dip the rim in flour if the glass sticks to the dough.
For suctioning up drippings and pan juices and basting the turkey as it roasts.
Scoop drippings into a measuring cup, and then pour over the breast.
Fat Separator...Read More »
- Martha Stewart Living | Decorating Guide | Wed, Nov 20, 2013 3:15 PM EST | Comments
Crafts editor Marcie McGoldrick demonstrates how to wire a lamp.
More from Martha Stewart Living:
19 Tips for Perfect Laundry Every Time
Instant Organization: Get It Together in 15 Minutes or Less
20 Super-Efficient, Super-Effective Ways to Clean All the Things
Don't Shelve These Clever Bookshelf Decorating Ideas
- The Vivant | Decorating Guide | Wed, Nov 13, 2013 5:23 PM EST | Comments
By Leah Bourne, The VivantEvent planner Bronson van Wyck has conceptualized events for the likes of Chanel, Salvatore Ferragamo, and Vogue, masterminded events like the annual Whitney Gala and regularly helps the Clintons when they entertain (you know, your typical A-list affairs). His latest project is a bar set he curated for this year's Moda Operandi gift guide, a set that includes everything from an antique Tiffany & Co. sterling silver jigger to Art Deco style decanters. The price tag? $24,500. "A well-stocked bar is essential to being a great host," Van Wyck says, and can you really put a price tag on being a great host? Apparently you can, and the price tag is pretty high.
Related Article: Step Inside Rachel Bilson's Hollywood BungalowStill, the idea of having an at-home bar on the ready for when you entertain is a great one, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Van Wyck's advice: "Adorn your bar with pieces that are functional, elegant-and maybe even a little quirky (crystal...Read More »
- Thu, Nov 14, 2013 3:12 PM EST | CommentsEvery year I psych myself up to participate in National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo for the initiated), but even though I start with the best of intentions, the month always gets away from me. I don't blame it on a lack of talent or general stick-to-itivness, of course. Clearly the problem is my lack of a functional, organized writing space! A room of one's own, if you will. Or at least a desk of one's own. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I bet these creative and chic home office setups would inspire me to write equally creative novels.
Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? Tell me in the comments! (Maybe we'll all find writing buddies there.)
-By Briana Mowrey
MORE FROM HGTV FAMILY OF SITES
GALLERY: 10 Unique But Beautiful Home Theater Themes
Drool Over HGTV's Hottest Hunks of All Time
19 Ways to Upcycle Headboards, Dressers and Beds
Go Inside Katy Perry's Amazing Hollywood Hills Estate
27 Cool Fire Pit Ideas We're Loving Now
- Thu, Nov 14, 2013 3:11 PM EST | Comments