- Marcus Samuelsson, Chef and Restaurateur | Shine Experts – Wed, Oct 2, 2013 4:34 PM EDT
- Kelly Clarkson, Singer and Songwriter | Shine Experts – Tue, Oct 1, 2013 12:26 PM EDTGreat Coffee, Good Vibes, Choose Fair Trade campaign, I was intrigued. I drink a lot of coffee on the road with my crew — it helps get us through 4 a.m. wake-up calls and late-night shows. But to be honest, I didn’t know much about Fair Trade, what an amazing system it is, and how it makes such a huge difference for farmers around the world. It's a simple concept: Fair Trade means farmers get a fair price for their crops.So I accepted Green Mountain’s offer to take me to a coffee farm in Peru to learn about the benefits of Fair Trade firsthand. I learned that Fair Trade helps give farmers the opportunity they need to live better lives. Here was my chance, my window of opportunity to lend my voice to help these farmers get theirs, and I’m so incredibly glad that I did.In June, I stepped off a plane in Chiclayo, Peru, a dusty city in the South American desert near the ocean. I’d already flown thousands of miles, but my journeyRead More »from Kelly Clarkson: Five Things My Trip to Peru Taught Me About Fair TradeWhen I was asked by Green Mountain Coffee to take part in its
- Mindy Budgor, author | Shine Experts – Mon, Sep 30, 2013 3:35 PM EDT
intriguing memoir — "Warrior Princess: My Quest to Become the First Female Maasai Warrior," about her experience living with a tribe in Africa and becoming its first woman warrior. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it didn't take long for the media coverage—and storm of criticisms—to come rolling in.In early September, Mindy Budgor, a well-off twentysomething from Southern California, wrote an
A female member of the Maasai tribe, blogging for The Huffington Post, was suspicious of Budgor's ability to buck the system in a matter of months. Africa Is a Country, meanwhile, accused Budgor of going to Kenya as part of a PR campaign for a sportswear company. And many of the nearly 3,000 comments Yahoo Shine's story about Budgor received were negative, calling for a boycott of her book, accusing her of exploiting the Maasai tribe, and charging that her return to the comforts of home negated her entire warrior-princess claim.
This week, Budgor has decided to meet the criticisms head-on with theRead More »from Exclusive: 'Warrior Princess' Mindy Budgor Responds to Critics
- Arian Foster, Houston Texans running back | Shine Experts – Wed, Sep 11, 2013 9:34 AM EDTI remember when I first got the call from my girlfriend (who's now my wife), telling me that I was going to be a father. Her voice cracking, tears brewing, she laid it on me. It was news that would change the course of our lives forever. What the hell was I going to do? All I could think was I was a 23-year-old without a clue about how to raise a kid. I had no job, just a tryout with an NFL team.
At the time, I was chasing a 7-year-old kid's pie-in-the-sky dream of being a professional football player (a dream that has crushed the hopes of 99 percent of children who have ever attempted it). So I guess you could say I'm one of the lucky ones that I not only hit the genetic lottery, but had people around me who believed in my dream. I had also somehow had the luck and wherewithal to keep my nose clean and do just enough in school to get by. And I had a wonderful woman looking at me with love and support, who must have been wavering back and forth herself. That's it. That's all I had.Read More »from NFL Star Arian Foster: 6 Things I'll Try to Teach My Daughter
- Brooke Alpert, Author of The Sugar Detox | Shine Experts – Tue, Sep 10, 2013 3:39 PM EDT
If it's not real sugar and has no calories then it's ok to eat, right? Think again. New evidence has shown that those pretty colored packets have almost the same effect on the body as the real stuff does. When you consume artificial sweeteners, the sugar receptors that are found in your mouth, gut, and pancreas get signaled just as they would when you consume natural sugars. The body reacts by absorbing more real sugar, triggering insulin production, and turning sugar into fat. Even worse, research shows that eating artificial sweeteners increases your appetite in general, so you end up consuming even more.Read More »from Artificial Sweetener Versus Sugar: Does it Matter?
Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose, and saccharine were created as a calorie-free way to curb sugar cravings, however they actually have the opposite effect. Artificial sweeteners are 200-700 times sweeter than regular sugar. Consuming artificial sweeteners or products that contain them on a regular basis can alter your palate drastically. Basically, since you are no
- Sara Gilbert, Author and Talk Show Host | Shine Experts – Mon, Aug 12, 2013 5:30 PM EDT
(Getty Images)I came to the environmental movement young, with big ideas about "saving the planet." My eighth grade science teacher, Ms. Davis, taught us about the environmental impact of putting meat on our tables, so I became a vegetarian.
In the '80s, I signed on with the Ban the Box campaign. Surely a few of you remember those long cardboard boxes CDs used to come in-wasteful and impossible to open from any corner?
(For those of you who don't remember well, activism works!) Consumers saw all that absurdly wasteful packaging and we said, "No way. We want our Cyndi Lauper without killing a whole forest."Read More »from Sara Gilbert: How I Stopped Trying to Be Perfect and Started Making A Difference
It was an amazing feeling: We were changing the world, one long CD box at a time. I was so excited about the movement, I decided I'd ramp up my activism. Yes, I'd join PETA in a protest against animal testing by a big cosmetics company! The spokesperson for the company was a famous actress, and we were protesting outside her house — with a man in a bloody bunny suit. As you can imagine, this
- Soleil Moon Frye, Actress and Author | Shine Experts – Thu, Aug 8, 2013 3:28 PM EDT
- Aimee Cebulski, Author, The Finding 40 Project | Shine Experts – Tue, Aug 6, 2013 4:19 PM EDT
- John Krasinski, Actor, Director and Writer | Shine Experts – Fri, Jul 19, 2013 4:08 PM EDTMassachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, in my hometown of Boston, Mass., to host its sixth annual the one hundred gala. This event, previously hosted by my good friend Matt Damon, is a night that recognizes 100 individuals and organizations from across the country for their extraordinary contributions in the fight against cancer. All the funds raised at the gala support research, patient care, education and community outreach programs.Recently, I was asked by the
I first got involved in the fight against cancer in 2008, when I had the honor of participating in the inaugural Stand Up To Cancer fundraising telecast. Since its inception, this organization has raised more than $161 million. I was proud to be a part of that incredible initiative in a very small way, but even prouder to be a part of an industry that took action to raise awareness and funds.Read More »from John Krasinski: "Why I Joined the Fight Against Cancer"
I'm sure each and every one of us has had a friend or a family member come up against cancer and fight it. Some people have won
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST