By Lexi Nisita, Refinery29
.When it comes to body image in this country, it's safe to say a little honesty goes a long way for us all. Despite the advances of healthy, beautiful role models in the last decade, the cult of skinny is still deeply ingrained in our collective in-front-of-the-mirror consciousness. So when we heard a story about plus-size mannequins being displayed in stores, we thought it was good news.
This photo surfaced on the internet recently and, though its origins are unknown, it's elicited quite a reaction - both positive and negative. While we get that this is a very strange looking image (why is your head so small, buddy?), it certainly demands conversation. Mannequins are, in many ways, the most distilled representation of our society's ideal body. So, it would be great if these hairless, featureless creatures reflected the population a bit better. But skinny or not, they're so warped and far removed from reality that it's hard to understand whether or not this
- Refinery29 | Fashion – Mon, Nov 26, 2012 10:37 AM EST
By Lexi Nisita, Refinery29Read More »from Are These Plus-Size Mannequins Progressive, or Just Weird?
- betterhealthblog.com | Fashion – Mon, Nov 26, 2012 10:34 AM EST
Are you the confused mom who can't find anything to wear every morning? Are you tired of trying and discarding clothes and wasting time over clothes that aren't working? Upgrading your wardrobe can help you overcome this problem. Moms usually tend to spend money and time both on other important aspects, avoiding their own look or appearance completely. However, looking good is always associated with the level of confidence and good feelings. To be a happy momma, you must look and feel great every day.
Read more at Betterhealthblog:
The following are some tips that will help you modernize your wardrobe and look without breaking the bank:Read More »from 6 Ways to Modernize Your Look Without Breaking the Bank
- The Vivant | Fashion – Sun, Nov 25, 2012 9:00 PM EST
Celebrity photographer Matthew RolstonThe perfect portrait has never been more important. Whether it's for social media, professional networking, or even online dating, our profile pictures have become our calling cards. "A good photograph can define you (or your subject) in many ways," celebrity photographer Matthew Rolston (pictured above) shared with us. "[Thankfully,] it's one form of visual communication that we can control."Read More »from Celebrity Photographer Matthew Rolston on Taking the Perfect Portrait
Rolston has built his career on his ability to make women look their absolute most beautiful. And that's saying a lot when you're photographing the world's most beautiful women to begin with (Rolston has shot everyone from Charlize Theron to Angelina Jolie). That's why we turned to this pro for some tips on how to take the ultimate portrait and put your best face forward.
1. Look Your Best. "It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: 'If you want to look good in a photograph, take the time to look good yourself.' That means making grooming, wardrobe, and other choices that enhance your
- StyleCaster News | Fashion – Sun, Nov 25, 2012 7:27 PM EST
Guess what, ladies? The holidays are quite literally around the corner, which means it's time to start to start thinking about-what else?-festive fashion attire. While "bring on the sequins!" may be some gals' holiday mantra, others prefer to jazz up basic pieces with the help of some choice accessories. Though dangling earrings, sleek cuffs and cocktail rings are all worthy candidates, there's just something about a fabulous statement necklace that really screams "party-ready."
Whether you prefer bold stones, sleek metal or oversized collar styles, a good statement necklace provides an extra bit of pizzaz to anything from a full skirt and blouse combo, to a chic skinny black suit. Of course, if you're more of a jeans type of gal and don't intend to change that during holiday time (good for you, we say!), a bold necklace is all you'll need to kick your casual getup up a notch.
Here, we've highlighted 18 versions that are super-chic (and super-bold, in some cases) and won't bustRead More »from 18 Amazing Statement Necklaces that Won't Break Your Holiday Budget
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST