If Barbie were an actual woman, she'd have a 36-inch bust, an 18-inch waist, and 33-inch hips — dimensions not seen since the days of the whalebone corset, and certainly not identical to Lopez's measurements. She's in fabulous shape but has never been shy about showing offRead More »from Jennifer Lopez Barbie Doll Is Not So Bootylicious
- Jennifer Lopez Barbie, one in a red carpet look modeled after the vampish gown with plunging neckline that Lopez wore to the 2012 Oscars, and the other inspired by her risqué sequined body stocking costume from last year's "Dance Again" world tour. Although both looks get some details right — her glamorous Academy Awards updo, for example, and her silver peep-toe, lace-up concert booties — something significant is missing: the megaceleb's traffic-stopping curves.Before Kim Kardashian, before Beyoncé, there was Jennifer Lopez, the Latina superstar from the Bronx who proudly flaunted her blockbuster body. This week Mattel released two versions of a collectable
by John Jannuzzi
Fall is the perfect time to experiment with your layers and silhouettes. It's finally chilly enough for you to pile the shirts and coats on without suffocating yourself. If you're in the mood to switch things up, here are five ideas to get you started. We warn you, though-they're not for the sartorially timid. Click through above to shop each one.
Read More »from Five Bold Silhouettes to Try This Fall
- BRIDES | Fashion – Thu, Nov 7, 2013 12:30 PM EST
by Terri Pous
Courtesy of Getty Images
It's no surprise that we love a stylish white dress. Whether a bride is wearing it down the aisle, a model is showing it on a Bridal Fashion Week runway, or a celebrity is rocking it on the red carpet, a white dress is a classic, fresh, and chic blank slate for accessories. Plus, the hue is ripe with possibilities for new interpretations-we think it should be every celebrity's go-to color! We scoured the Internet for the best ivory, cream, and eggshell gowns out there to bring you these stunning, wedding-worthy looks.
Jessica Biel is a demonstrably ardent fan of all shades of white. She wore a short lace number to a Total Recall premiere just before her October 2012 nuptials to Justin Timberlake and stepped out in a taupe gown at the 2012 Golden Globes, and those are just the highlights of her arsenal of cream-colored frocks.
Naturally, we were surprised to see her wearing a a petal pink GiambattistaRead More »from Celebrities in Wedding-Worthy White Dresses: Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, and Anna Faris
- Lucky Magazine | Fashion – Thu, Nov 7, 2013 12:08 PM EST
by Elana Fishman
For all its classic appeal, tweed is sorely underrepresented in many women's closets-perhaps because of its inherently mature, even corporate connotations. But you needn't look further than the bevy of beautiful stars who turned up at last night's Chanel/MoMA party in honor of Tilda Swinton to see just how versatile-and yes, youthful-the nubby fabric can truly look. Take recent birthday girl Alexa Chung, for instance, whose snow-white dress was buttoned-up yet totally fresh. Or fellow Lucky obsession Lorde, who made the Upper East Side-adored fabric jive with her own dark, dramatic aesthetic.
To see (and shop!) these outfits and many more, click through the slideshow above. And rest assured: these aren't your grandma's tweeds. Not even close.
Read More »from Alexa Chung, Brit Marling and Lorde Teach Us How to Wear Tweed
- Babble.com | Fashion – Thu, Nov 7, 2013 11:49 AM EST
Often mistaken as just "plaid," tartan is actually more than just one of our favorite fall prints. Tartan is defined by Merriam-Webster.com as a plaid textile design of Scottish origin. It consists of stripes, of varying width and color, usually patterned to designate a distinctive clan. See! It's so much more! And thanks to the recent punk trend that hit the fashion scene recently, tartan is back with a vengeance this fall. It reminds me of my visit to the Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibit at The MET in New York. Just so you know, this trend isn't going anywhere. There's a lot of it out there -- which you gives you, the fashionista, many options. I found 7 ways you can wear the tartan trend this fall. Take a peek at the gallery below! -By Monique FraustoRead More »from Plaid About You: 7 Stylish Ways to Rock the Tartan Trend This Fall
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Fashion – Thu, Nov 7, 2013 11:27 AM ESTrequests for women to bend over in said pants before an in-store return was permitted. Finally, there was an admission by the athletic wear company that plus-size apparel was not part of its formula. Well, now company founder Chip Wilson has landed himself in boiling hot water by wading into full-on fat-shaming territory.It seems Lululemon didn't have its fill of bad press earlier this year. First was its see-through pants scandal. Then came subsequent
More on Yahoo Shine: Lululemon Pulls See-Through Yoga Pants From Stores
Asked Tuesday on Bloomberg TV's “Street Smart” show about recent complaints that Lululemon’s yoga pants are prone to pilling, Wilson said, “Frankly some women’s bodies just actually don't work for it.”
Just in case anyone thought they heard it wrong, he elaborated. “They don't work for some women's bodies,” he continued. “It's really about the rubbing through the thighs, how much pressure is there over a period of time, how much they use it."
That’s whenRead More »from Lululemon Founder Blames Yoga Pant Problems on Customers' Thighs
- By Carly Totten, Lover.ly
Torn between wearing a long veil or a shorter piece that might have a bit more sass on your wedding day? Maybe we can help! Although we can never deny how much we adore traditional long veils (they're so classic, after all!), birdcage veils, fascinators, headbands, and floral halos are definitely in style. They are so in style, in fact, that these short trendier pieces were paired with the majority of the dresses that floated down the runway during bridal fashion week.
Feathers, tulle, beading, flowers, and bows -- we've gathered ten of our favorite short and sassy hairpieces together. Which style will you choose?
More from Lover.ly:
See more fabulous fascinators
Show your personal style with a short wedding dress
Long veils we love
- By Annie Georgia Greenberg, Refinery29
We spent all summer looking for the elusive easy-breezy frock to wear from day to night. And, as fall turns to winter, we've launched the same search-and-rescue party for a bevy of sweater dresses to live in all season long. Luckily, we got on the hunt just in the nick of time, and turned out 16 options that are equally sleek and cozy. You won't want to wear anything else 'til spring.
- YouBeauty.com | Fashion – Thu, Nov 7, 2013 10:29 AM ESTSarah before and after corsetingWomen's fashion has long elicited controversy at every twist and turn of the trend, but no article of clothing has been celebrated and reviled quite like the traditional corset.
Today, popular opinion views the lace-up design as restrictive both literally and figuratively, with the rigid design coming to symbolize the social repression of the 18thto 19th century American woman.
Others have fetishized the garment as the ultimate in seduction wear. It's not uncommon to see satin and bow-bedecked versions selling alongside massage oil and teddies (I'm not talking Paddington Bear) at adult lingerie stores.
So when "Victorian Secrets: What a Corset Taught Me about the Past, the Present and Myself" (Skyhorse Publishing: November 2013) landed on my desk, I was intrigued by the writer's claim that wearing a corset was such a positive, body-loving-if not even feminist - move on her part.
At the beginning, author Sarah Chrisman is as dubious as anyoneRead More »from How Wearing a Corset Every Day (and Night!) Changed This Woman's Life
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Fashion – Wed, Nov 6, 2013 5:39 PM EST
is having her moment. Ever since twirling onto the pop-culture stage as a scantily clad contestant on “RuPaul’s Drag Race” in 2011, the New Jersey native, born a boy named Christopher, has been enjoying a fast ascension as a model. Carmen CarreraRead More »from Meet the Beauty Who Could Become Victoria's Secret's First Transgender Model
After publicly transitioning to female after her stint on the reality show, Carrera has signed with Elite Model Management, walked the runway for designer Marco Marco during last month’s LA Fashion Week, and been featured twice in W magazine, most recently in a 13-page spread shot by Steven Meisel for the September issue.
Now she’s the subject of a Change.org petition created by fans to request that Victoria’s Secret sign Carerra as the brand’s first transgender model. The effort has already garnered more than 20,000 signatures — and a slew of supportive comments — since its creation by Marco Regalado of California on Monday.
“I'm amazed!” Carrera wrote on Facebook on Tuesday in response to the fast-growing support. “And just to make it clear,
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST