1. Heat food in your toaster oven - it uses up to 50 percent less energy than a full-size oven.
2. Store refrigerated food and beverages in closed containers; if left uncovered, they release moisture and overburden the appliance's compressor.
3. Choose an Energy Star-compliant computer, which uses 70 percent less electricity than a nondesignated model.
4. Place lamps and TVs far away from thermostats so the heat given off doesn't cause air-conditioning systems to run longer than they need to.
5. Don't believe the screen-saver myth. Computer screen savers don't cut energy use! Enable the auto sleep mode or turn off the monitor for eco-friendly operation.
6. Opt for white window shades during warmer weather and keep them closed during the day to reflect the sun's heat away from your house.
20 Secrets Your Waiter Won't Tell You
15 Foods You Should Never Buy Again
8 Things That Are Making You Fat
11 Biggest Red Flag Words on Read More »from Easy Tricks to Cut Your Energy Bill