The too-good-to-be-true: In October, a St. Louis bartender from was shocked to receive a $200,000-plus payout on a bill totaling just $111.54. Using the name "Randomdayzee" on Reddit, she shared her experience of waiting on two sisters, one of whom left the exorbitant tip. The shocked server alerted her manager, who called VISA and learned that tips deemed "excessive" would not be accepted. The incident caused some Redditors to speculate that the tipper was a scam artist who knew thatRead More »from The Best (and Absolute Worst) Restaurant Tippers of 2013
- Most restaurant servers have good and bad tipping stories they never forget, like a patron who vanished without leaving any gratuity at all or the quiet guy who only ordered coffee and left a really generous tip for no reason at all. But this year there were plenty of tipping tales that got way wilder than those. Here's a look back at the one's that made headlines. Whether these servers were naughty or nice, they were the recipients of the most outrageous, heartwarming, and cringe-worthy tips of the year.
By Megan Segura, Daily Makeover
cupcakeI'm forever on the hunt for perfect skin. I've bought way too many products and tried far too many treatments that all promised to transform my acne-prone skin into a porcelain complexion, not unlike that of Michelle Williams. While some things work as a temporary fix, nothing has actually forever changed my skin, so I turned to drastic measures: changing my diet.
Related Article: 10 Surprising Diet Myths Debunked
I don't use the term lightly when I say that I'm a sugar addict. From the chocolate creamer I pour into my morning coffee to the bowl of ice cream I like to enjoy at the end of the night, my days are chock-full of sugar-laden foods. I always try to fit a salad into my afternoon, but it's dripping with preservative and sugar-filled dressing. It's actually no wonder my skin is a wreck.
Related Article: The 'Beauty Drink' Miranda Kerr Swears By
While there's no evidence that directly links a bad diet to acne, sugar has been shownRead More »from What It's like to Go on a Sugar-Free Diet
- Source: 3 Ways to Say Goodbye to Belly Fat
A nutritious diet and regular exercise have helped you reach your weight-loss goal, but you're still trying to get rid of that little extra pooch around your midsection. Here are three things you can do every week to help you achieve a trimmer belly.
When Eating Take an honest look at your diet and your bathroom schedule. Your belly might not be caused by fat, but by air trapped in your digestive system. If you're not getting enough fiber (you need 25 to 30 grams a day), constipation can cause bloating. On the other hand, overdoing it on fiber or eating too many gas-producing foods like broccoli, apples, or beans can also make your belly pooch a bit. Thankfully, there are also foods you can eat, like blueberries, that are proven to diminish belly fat, so sip on this flat-belly smoothie made with pineapple and kale.
When Doing Cardio Studies show that including interval training in your cardio sessions is proven to diminish belly fat.Read More »from 3 Ways to Say Goodbye to Belly Fat
- Source: Ideal Protein Diet: Is It Ideal For You?
"Like turkey?" I joked to my sister-in-law at Thanksgiving dinner, as I noticed her plate piled high with white meat and a little bit of what looked like cooked veggies she brought from home. "I'm on the Ideal Protein Diet. I've lost 20 pounds, and I've got my eye on the prize," she said. The diet she went on to explain intrigued me, because I saw the results right before my eyes.
What Is It?Read More »from Ideal Protein Diet: Is it Ideal for You?
The Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method was medically developed two decades ago by Dr. Tran Tien Chanh to help people lose fat without losing muscle mass. It's a high-protein, low-carb diet, but unlike other low-carb programs, it's not just about eating high protein, it's about eating the right protein. This diet also severely restricts sugar intake (simple and complex) until your weight-loss goal is reached. This ensures that your glycogen (carbohydrate) reserves are completely depleted, which forces your body to dip into your fat reserves to
- Source: Sip Your Way to Clearer Skin
Breakouts are the worst, and if it seems like a constant battle between you and your face, it's time to feed your skin from the inside out. This creamy smoothie recipe is made from Vitamin E-rich spinach and avocado and sweetened with grapes that contain anti-inflammatory antioxidants. You'll love the taste of the strawberries that also help fight free-radical damage, giving skin a more radiant glow. Almond butter offers the minerals zinc and selenium, both essential for healthy skin, and a sprinkle of flaxmeal contains omega-3s that help reduce inflammation.
More from POPSUGAR Fitness: Maintain - Don't Gain - This Holiday Season
From Jenny Sugar, POPSUGAR FitnessSip Your Way to Clearer Skin
2 cups raw spinach
1/2 cup red grapes (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon flaxmeal
1 cup water
- Place all ingredients in a blender, and mix well.
- Source: Sip on This: Peppermint Tea Supports Weight Loss
If you're trying to keep close tabs on added sugars and calories, it's time to rethink a daily Starbucks Peppermint Mocha. This seasonal drink should only serve as an occasional indulgence - not an everyday occurrence. Just one tall peppermint mocha (made with two-percent milk and no whipped cream) weighs in at 250 calories with 40 grams of sugar. Backing off your Starbucks habit will help your waistline (and your wallet), but you can still enjoy the holiday scent and flavor regularly, just with a new tradition. Swapping out your peppermint mocha for a cup of hot peppermint tea keeps your drink in the spirit of the season while supporting your healthy goals.
It suppresses appetite: Mint's strong scent has been shown to help control your appetite and suppress cravings. If you're always reaching for a sweet treat after dinner, consider sipping on a cup of hot peppermint tea to help curb your dessert desires.
- POPSUGAR FitnessSource: 5 Fat-Burning Foods For the Holidays
With the holidays here, it can seem like diet sabotage is around every corner. But it's not just about sugary office treats and endless holiday party spreads; some of the most common Fall and Winter foods actually help, not hurt, your waistline. Want to know which ones? Read on for five fat-burning foods you should be eating this holiday season!
- Dark Chocolate: Your favorite indulgence actually includes two ingredients that are known to boost metabolism: caffeine and the antioxidant catechin. Just make sure you stick to a small square a day so the sugar and calories don't outweigh dark chocolate's fat-burning potential.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes may just be your cold-weather fat-burning secret. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, which helps keep you feeling full while burning calories by putting your digestive system to work. And they also contain a hormone that helps regulate your blood sugar. Stick with simply
- Source: Maintain - Don't Gain - This Holiday Season
Feel like the holiday season is out to sabotage your waistline? You're not alone. A recent survey by Fitness magazine and Jenny Craig found that 47 percent of women gain four to five pounds over the holiday season - thanks in large part to delicious food offerings, increased stress, and busy schedules. Sound familiar? Read on for tips on how to survive the season.
- Stick with it: A few simple changes to your workout routine can help you stick to it all Winter. Switch to morning workouts to get it out of the way before evening obligations, or invest in sweat-wicking performance gear so you're always comfortable during cold-evening outdoor workouts.
Stop being so tough on yourselves! That's the message one cereal brand wants to send to women as part of a new campaign called "Shut Down the Fat Talk."
For the campaign launched Tuesday, Kellogg's Special K scoured social media in search of some typical self-deprecating messages women post online that shame their bodies, such as, "My face is so fat today. Gross!" "I just wish I was skinnier #fatty" and "Feeling so disgusted about my figure at the moment #cow." The company then created a fake clothing store, posted the messages on tags on the various clothing items and on signs around the room, and caught women's reactions on tape. The odd project's goal? To emphasize how damaging these thoughts can be when women go shopping. Upon reading the phrases, the female shoppers appear horrified and upset. "These are all things that I've said," one woman admits. Another exclaims, "This is like looking at the inside of my head." Another: "I didn't realize how bad it was. It's like you'reRead More »from Is Special K's 'Fat Talk' Ad a Hit or Miss?
by Lexi Petronis
Romulo YanesWhile you're in the midst of planning your holiday menus and eating options--and heaven knows there are puh-lenty--consider maybe swapping out some of your usual ingredients for these seasonal superfoods as suggested by nutritional experts at TOPS Club, Inc.--they all have tons of good-for-your-health benefits.
Instead of oranges, use...clementines. These sweet citrus fruits are filled with vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, and fiber. Pick ones that are heavy (that means they have more juice), and add them to salads for an extra health kick.
Instead of cranberries, use...pomegranates. The seeds are filled with fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and niacin--and let's not forget the tangy juice. One glass of pomegranate juice has as much of the same disease-fighting polyphenols as four glasses of cranberry juice--or 10 cups of green tea!Read More »from Seasonal Superfood Swaps: Use These Tasty Winter Ingredients for Extra Health Benefits
Instead of potatoes, use...sweet potatoes. Compared to regular potatoes,
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST