Health Move MustsThe health choices you make now will dictate your health in the future; start being healthy today and you'll feel the positive effects for years to come.
1. GET A LIFE.
People who feel a sense of purpose in life and a responsibility beyond taking care of themselves-like organizing adopt-a-thons at the animal shelter or throwing not-to-be-missed soirees for friends-tend to deal with stress better than those who don't, Dr. Roizen says. These activities give you a strong sense of self and a support system to ground you when stress strikes.
Related: 5 Healthy Foods You Should Eat Everyday
Everyday. Not flossing can increase chances of periodontal disease, which could increase your risk of giving birth to a premature or low-birthweight baby. Inflammation from periodontal disease can also set you up for heart disease. 2
Related: 10 Guilt-Free Summer Snacks
3. LEARN TO COOK.
This makes you more likely to eat at home, which is better for your heart and your weight than living on
Health Move MustsThe health choices you make now will dictate your health in the future; start being healthy today and you'll feel the positive effects for years to come.Read More »from 5 Health Move Musts to Start Now
British tabloids recently published photos of celebrity chef Nigella Lawson allegedly being choked by her husband, Charles Saatchi, while the two dined at a London restaurant. Since the photos emerged, the story has become an international incident, with media outlets on both sides of the Atlantic rushing to assess the situation. As with many domestic violence incidents, people want to place blame; however, another disturbing pattern is emerging. Lawson has chosen to remain silent so far, and people are using her lack of public response to label her "subservient" and "weak."Read More »from Please Stop Calling Nigella Lawson "Weak"
Related: 26 Ways to Feel Younger Now
Saatchi has already taken very public action in response to the pictures. As for Nigella, her spokesman confirmed that she's staying somewhere else with the couple's two children, but beyond that, she hasn't issued a statement or spoken publicly. In a segment on CNN's New Day, entertainment reporter Neil Sean said that her look of distress in the pictures and subsequent
Read More »from John Mayer And Prancercise Lady Make Beautiful Music Together
John Mayer’s new video vixen for his latest single “Paper Doll” is an unlikely star: Prancercise creator Johanna Rohrback.
Yup, the Coral Springs, Florida-based 61-year-old real estate agent turned choreographer of Prancercise, the galloping-trotting exercise routine that went viral in May, has teamed up with Mayer to star in his new music video.
The video, posted to YouTube on Tuesday to almost 8,000 views, is entitled “Advance Prancercise” and opens with Rohrback saying, “What about a prance to romance to? So what about Prancercising to John Mayer’s ‘Paper Doll?’” Rohrback, wearing a white shirt tucked into fitted, black pants, a chunky white necklace, and sporting perfectly coiffed hair, dives into her springy, rhythmic gallop, unleashing her inner pony onto her quiet neighborhood streets—and her undoubtedly fed-up neighbors.
Rohrback created and trademarked Prancercise in 1989 but the workout only took off in 2012 when she self-published the book “Prancercise: The Art of Physical
- FitSugar | Healthy Living – 15 hours ago
Source: From the Inside Out: How to Feel Confident in Your BikiniRead More »from From the Inside Out: How to Feel Confident in Your Bikini
Before you rock your bikini and expose more skin than usual, it's natural to feel a little nervous. If you can relate to this sentiment, then forget what everyone else will be thinking, and start focusing on how you want to be feeling. Looking good in a bikini doesn't necessarily mean having a rock-hard body - it emanates your confidence! If you're tired of being in a cover-up all Summer long, then take these tips to heart the next time you slip your suit on.
While almost no one loves to go swimsuit shopping, it doesn't have to be such a painful process. Bring a close confidant or trusted friend along for advice, and take a few moments to touch up your hair, shave your legs, and add a little self-tanner. If you feel comfortable in your appearance from the start of this shopping trip, then it will be easier to keep up your confidence once the street clothes come off. Once you're in the store, grab a variety
- FitSugar | Healthy Living – 15 hours ago
Source: Get These Chips Away From Me! How to Prevent Mindless Snacking
Once you start snacking, it's hard not to stop - you can't just eat one! Not a good thing if you're trying to lose or maintain your weight since mindless munching can add up to hundreds of extra calories a week. Here are some ways to break bad snacking habits.
- Measure and be done: Eating directly out of the package almost always means eating your way to an empty bag. Read the label to find out what a serving size is, measure it out, close up the package, and take your snack elsewhere to eat.
- Steer clear of the M&M's bowl: If your co-workers keep candy on their desks and you can't help but grab a handful every time you stop by, opt for IM or email when you need to talk.
- Keep food out of sight: Just seeing food can be a temptation, so be sure to keep snacks and baked goods off your desk and kitchen counters (unless it's fruit of course!).
- Grab that bottle: Thirst is often confused for hunger; taking
Source: What Your Weekend Indulgences Are Costing YouRead More »from What Your Weekend Indulgences Are Costing You
You've conquered another week filled with healthy diet choices and workouts, and now you're ready for your well-deserved weekend. While resting and relaxing should be part of any weekend, make sure you don't undo the previous five days' goodness with a whirlwind of high-calorie choices. Here's an idea of just how much an indulgent three days can cost you.
Friday: Happy Hour
To unwind after work, you decide to get together with friends for a glass of merlot (119 calories). An hour later, hunger sets in, so you order a side of french fries (281 calories in 10 fries) and mozzarella sticks (330 calories in three pieces). Your weekend has just begun, and you've already indulged in 730 calories before dinnertime.
Solution: Letting loose can mean the calories add up fast, so go to happy hour with an idea of how you want to save calories. Opt for low-calorie spirits and high-protein, nonfried snack options to unwind and curb hunger
Source: How to Get Rid of Salt Bloat
Sometimes, those fries are calling your name and you can't say no - but the bloated feeling you get from the sodium overload isn't fun. If you feel like you've overdone it this weekend, get rid of the bloat with these tips that flush out salt from your body.
- Drink up: The best way to debloat is to flush out excess salt by refilling that water bottle all day. Add extra help - and taste - by throwing a few fresh ingredients into your water to help get rid of those toxins. Detoxifying additions to water like ginger or lemon slices are delicious and effective at helping you feel your best.
- Eat these foods: Look for foods rich in potassium, since this electrolyte will help your kidneys flush out excess salt. When in doubt, think fresh fruit and veggies, since many have high levels of potassium. Bananas, strawberries, leafy greens, melons, citrus fruits - all of these are great sources of potassium. Don't see anything you like? Here are more foods
- burgers and then noting, with an implied eye roll and mock whisper, “We even have a Gardenburger—just in case your teenage daughter is going through a phase.”Are vegetarians humorless? It’s the question being asked this week after a Red Robin television ad offended herbivores by touting its 24 types of
More on Shine: Mountain Dew Under Fire For 'Most Racist Commercial in History'
The commercial, part of a new campaign ad series, aired for about a week before being rotated out, as was planned from the start. But it prompted outrage among activists and on social media outlets, with a slew of horrified vegetarians taking the eatery to task for its condescending approach.
“Though I applaud any fast food chain that offers a veggie burger, and I hope that more do, the idea that not eating animals is reserved solely for teenage girls going through a phase is obviously meant to insult both vegans and girls,” Jasmin Singer, executive director of Our Hen House, a New York-based multimedia vegan Read More »from Red Robin Ad Mocks Vegetarians With 'Teen Phase' Joke. Guess Who's Not Laughing?
When packing for a day by the shore, load up on these nutritious nibbles to keep your energy up and your calories down.
For More From Real Beauty:
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.
Read More »from Smart Beach Snacks for Summer
Bill Diodate/FITNESS MagazineBy Nicole Yorio JurickRead More »from Secrets from Weight-Loss Spas
You don't need to shell out thousands of dollars to stay at a swanky resort to slim down. We got the pros to spill their best insider strategies so you can lose five, 10, or even 20 pounds -- at home.
Related: 10 Ways to Make Weight Loss Easier at Home
The One Number to Read on the Nutrition Label
No, not calories -- it's fiber. Fiber helps absorb fat and cholesterol as it travels down your digestive tract, reducing the amount of fat the body absorbs, says Linda Illingworth, RD, the director of nutrition for Cal-a-Vie Health Spa in Vista, California. Here's a sample day's diet to help you get the recommended 30 grams of fiber daily.
Breakfast: 1 cup Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup granola and 1/4 cup raspberries
Snack: 3 cups air-popped popcorn
Lunch: Salad with grilled chicken, 2 cups romaine, 1/2 cup chickpeas, and 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
Snack: Large apple and 10 almonds
Dinner: Baked fish with 1/2 cup cooked quinoa and 1/2 cup broccoli
Daily fiber total: 30
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST