Rethink the Pink Drink
After a rash of deaths linked to its products, the high-octane beverage industry has gone through a female-friendly makeover. Are these drinks actually safer-or are marketers just trying to repackage a frat-boy favorite? Virginia Sole-Smith investigates.
ON DECEMBER 16, 2011, 14-year-old Anais Fournier went to the Valley Mall in Hagerstown, Maryland, with her friends for an everyday teenage-girl afternoon of trying on clothes and eating at the food court. At some point, Fournier popped in to Gardners Candies and picked up a 24-ounce Monster Energy drink. The next day at the mall, Fournier drank another massive Monster. Afterward, she felt jittery; her heart beat erratically. Shortly after arriving at home, Fournier went into cardiac arrest. By the time the ambulance arrived, she was unconscious. Her parents spent the next six days at Johns Hopkins Hospital, praying for their daughter's life, but the damage to her heart and brain was too extensive. On December 23, they took her off