Photo: ThinkstockBy Corrie Pikul
Add Some Color To Your White Noise
What You Tried: Random, unfamiliar sounds can pull you out of RB sleep and make it hard to fall back into it. Even if you're able to silence every beep, whistle and clang in your home, you can't control nature--or neighbors. Many people swear by white noise machines, which combine sounds of different frequencies to block out audio interruptions.
RELATED: Quiz: What's Your Bedroom Design Personality?
What You Should Try: New research highlights the benefits of blended sounds with a consistent frequency. Pink noise, so named because light with a similar power spectrum would be perceived as pink, helped people sleep better and longer--75 percent of study participants reported a more restful sleep or nap with pink noise than with silence.
Go Pink: The study author told Prevention magazine that people can create this sound at home with fans, apps or gadgets that produce steady, uninterrupted sound, like falling rain or blowing wind.
Photo: ThinkstockBy Corrie PikulRead More »from Turn Your Bedroom into a Sleep Cave
POPSUGAR FitnessSource: Build Strength to Blast Fat in 10 Minutes
Build some fat-burning, metabolism-boosting muscle mass with this 10-minute workout. It's about getting back to the basics while targeting the major muscles of the body. If you're new to strength training, this workout is perfect for you. And with no equipment needed, there's no excuse not to do it. Press play and get ready to get your sweat on!
10 Minutes to a Tighter Core . . . No Crunches Required
Hardcore Core Move: Plank Side Walk
Love the Lunge! A Leg-Strengthening Agility Workout For Runners
Read More »from Build Strength to Blast Fat in 10 Minutes
Source: Feel the Burn With This 5-Minute Ab Workout
If you have five minutes and a place to sit, you can work on your six pack. These five moves work your entire core in almost no time. Take a break and tone your midsection with this ab workout!
Seated Trunk Twist
- Sit on the ground with your legs extended out in front of you, and lean ever so slightly forward.
- Keeping your elbows relaxed, lift your hands so they are even with the bottom of your rib cage.
- Pull your navel to your spine, and twist slowly to the right touching the floor by your hip. The movement is not large and comes from the ribs rotating. Inhale through center and rotate to the left. This completes one rep.
- Repeat for one minute.
- Lie on your back and reach your arms at rigid your side, off of the floor. Lift your legs off the floor and point them so they are at about a 45-degree angle. Lift your head so your shoulders are off of the floor as well.
- When ready to begin, lift your upper torso
Instead of a drab corner space, brighten up your home gym with tips and decorating gear that'll make you want to tone at your own addy.
by Monica Khemsurov
More from SELF:
Read More »from How to Decorate Your Home Gym
- POPSUGAR Fitness | Healthy Living – Wed, Sep 18, 2013 4:43 PM EDT
Source: Squat Variations to Kick Your Workout Into High Gear
Squats are to your legs and tush as push-ups are to your arms and core - you've got to be one with the squat if you want to tone your lower body. The basic move is hard enough, but here are some ways to make it even more challenging.
- Target different muscles in your lower body with yoga variations including Open Side Fierce where you twist your torso, or Goddess with your legs wide (also called Sumo Squat).
- Raise one heel at a time as you lift and lower your hips. Also try lifting both heels together, either during the squat or at the very end when you come up to target your calves and strengthen your sense of balalnce.
- Instead of lifting and lowering your bum, hold the lowered squat position for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Work one side at a time by lifting one leg (to get legs like Cameron Diaz).
- Do more reps. With this plan you can build up to 200 in just four weeks.
- Make it a multitasking move for your upper and
Want to cut calories but don't want to overhaul your diet to do it? We've got 10 easy nutritionist-approved food swaps from our nutrition blogger and RD, Sarah-Jane Bedwell.
More from SELF:
Read More »from Easy Food Swaps that Cut Calories
- Details Magazine | Healthy Living – Wed, Sep 18, 2013 3:57 PM EDT
By: K. Aleisha Fetters
GettyExercise machines are simple-too simple, in fact. According to metabolic training expert BJ Gaddour, C.S.C.S., "They've been dumbed down to the point that they just don't do your body much good." Besides parking you on your butt, most machines isolate a single muscle, meaning you'll burn fewer calories and gain less muscle mass rep for rep.
Most importantly (at least as far as medical bills are concerned), exercise machines can lead to injury. Even with their adjustable seats and pegs, finding the proper position can be close to impossible-and even then the movements just aren't natural. "Free weights and bodyweight exercises allow your body to move in a natural range of motion," Gaddour says. "When you fix it, it results in a limited and improper movement pattern that can be dangerous."
Here, Gaddour shares five exercise machines you should swear off-and all-star alternatives that will give you better, faster fitness gains.
1. The Machine: LyingRead More »from The 5 Exercise Machines You Should Never Use at the Gym
The skyrocketing actress (and Pretty Little Liars star) talks facing fears, finding real happiness and why she can't stop singing. Plus: Go behind the scenes at Lucy's cover shoot! by Erin Bried
More from SELF:
Read More »from Steal Lucy Hale's Allover Toners!
Diet myths, busted!We all have a friend who swears by the latest juice craze and another who's devoted to a gluten-free lifestyle. So what's the true secret to staying slim? Here, we uncover the truth behind top diet trends.Read More »from 11 Diet Myths — Busted!
Myth #1: Fasting is the best way to drop pounds - stat
Fact: Popular across the pond, "5:2" fasting diets, which call for five days of eating whatever you want and two days of following a seriously reduced calorie plan (think: rabbit food) have started sweeping our nation. As tempting as it sounds, the "5:2" way of life isn't exactly foolproof. Binging on the "eat-anything-you-want" days could cancel out any weight loss benefits resulting from the low-calorie days. On the flip side, if you drop weight too quickly, you may actually be losing muscle, not fat.
To hold on to some tone and still shed the fat, you need a more moderate plan that keeps your metabolism chugging, energy high, and tummy full. Fill up on satiating foods, like fruits and veggies, chicken and fish, and
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – Wed, Sep 18, 2013 2:35 PM EDT
about people is never kind. But when it’s about a friend? Really, really not cool. GossipingRead More »from Eve Confirms that Gwen Stefani Is Pregnant: When Friends Spill Secrets
More on Shine: Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Whistleblower: Who Is She?
Still, we all know it happens anyway — even to publicist-controlled celebrities, as was the case this week for Gwen Stefani. During a recently recorded interview with Live Nation, her friend and artistic collaborator Eve spilled the beans on Stefani’s pregnancy, which had been reported but not yet confirmed by the mama-to-be.
“She’s preggers! She’s preggers,” Eve said after being asked if Stefani would be a surprise guest during her then-upcoming performance in New York City. She added, “I think she’s chilling.”
More on Yahoo: Gwen Stefani Pregnant: Expecting Third Child With Gavin Rossdale at Age 43
After the admission, as reported by TooFab and Us Weekly, tweets called the rapper out on her faux pas, calling it an “interview slip-up,” in which she “outed” her pal and “accidentally spilled the beans.” Representatives for both
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST