Could everything you know about pregnancy be wrong? Get your facts straight Think you've got the whole birds-and-bees thing figured out? Turns out, much of what we know about baby-making is based on old wives' tales instead of scientific research, according to the just-released book, Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom Is Wrong--and What You Really Need to Know. Prepare to have your mind blown.
Myth: Pregnancy Lasts Nine Months
Truth: In reality, the length of your pregnancy can vary by as much as five weeks, according to a 2013 study published in the journal Human Reproduction. When you deliver ultimately depends on your age, your weight, how much you weighed at birth, and a slew of other factors.
Myth: Sex while you're pregnant can hurt the baby.
Truth: In almost all cases, sex shouldn't affect your little one, says Shari Brasner, M.D. assistant clinical professor of obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive science at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City and a member of the Women's Health expert advisory board. There are some
Could everything you know about pregnancy be wrong? Get your facts straight Think you've got the whole birds-and-bees thing figured out? Turns out, much of what we know about baby-making is based on old wives' tales instead of scientific research, according to the just-released book, Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom Is Wrong--and What You Really Need to Know. Prepare to have your mind blown.Read More »from 10 Myths About Pregnancy, Debunked
by Jessica Matthews for SHAPE.comRead More »from The Fat-Blasting 20-Minute Tabata Workout
Here's why you need to try Tabata trainingWith the notion of boosting fitness in just four short minutes, it's no surprise that Tabata training is all the buzz. What originally began as a high-intensity interval training protocol performed on a cycling ergometer by Japanese Olympic speed skaters has now morphed into workouts that combine everything from plyometrics to traditional resistance training exercises using the same format: eight cycles of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. To investigate the benefits of this intense type of training, the American Council on Exercise® (ACE) enlisted the research team at the University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse to examine the true calorie-burning potential of a total-body Tabata session.
In the study, 16 moderately fit to very fit men and women completed two 20-minute Tabata workouts. Each workout consisted of a five-minute warm-up followed by four rounds of Tabata (eight cycles of 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest) with one minute
The season of sundresses and swimsuits and having your arms on full display may be over, but that doesn't mean you'll be keeping your arms under wraps until next summer. Strapless tops and sleeveless little black dresses that you wear most of the year will keep your arms front and center (er, side and parallel?).
Make sure they're firm and toned with these super effective moves, designed by Katherine "Kado" Simmons, a certified personal trainer with Body Space Fitness in New York City. Bonus: Simmons's moves chisel the arms to perfection but also work other muscles, too.
- by Liz Neporent
(For two additional arm-shaping workouts, head over to YouBeauty.)
More From YouBeauty:
Read More »from 3 Moves to Fight Arm Flab (No Gym Required)
Drive. Dine. Walk. Gawk. Find joy. Explore 735 gorgeous miles of the iconic road with these essential stops along the way.
Aliso Beach Park
Most beautiful stretch of sand, Laguna Beach
Catch Aliso Beach Park on a balmy day when the water turns a translucent turquoise, and you'll think you've been transported south to the tropics. Backed by low hills and cliffs topped by dream homes, the beach looks out on Santa Catalina Island, with low-tide access south around a rocky point to a long, curving stretch of sand. There may be better-known beaches in Orange County but certainly none more beautiful. 31131 S. Pacific Coast Hwy.; ocparks.com/beaches/aliso.Manhattan Beach Pier
A peerless pier, Manhattan Beach
Southern California loves its piers, and none gets more summer lovin' than Manhattan Beach Pier. With surfers riding the waves, multiple volleyball games along the sand, and tanned and toned locals providing flesh-and-blood evidence of Manhattan Beach's fitness obsession, the pier gives you an opera-box perspectiveRead More »from Ultimate California Highway 1 Road Trip
Photo: ThinkstockBy Corrie PikulRead More »from Turn Your Bedroom into a Sleep Cave
Add Some Color To Your White Noise
What You Tried: Random, unfamiliar sounds can pull you out of RB sleep and make it hard to fall back into it. Even if you're able to silence every beep, whistle and clang in your home, you can't control nature--or neighbors. Many people swear by white noise machines, which combine sounds of different frequencies to block out audio interruptions.
RELATED: Quiz: What's Your Bedroom Design Personality?
What You Should Try: New research highlights the benefits of blended sounds with a consistent frequency. Pink noise, so named because light with a similar power spectrum would be perceived as pink, helped people sleep better and longer--75 percent of study participants reported a more restful sleep or nap with pink noise than with silence.
Go Pink: The study author told Prevention magazine that people can create this sound at home with fans, apps or gadgets that produce steady, uninterrupted sound, like falling rain or blowing wind.
POPSUGAR FitnessSource: Build Strength to Blast Fat in 10 Minutes
Build some fat-burning, metabolism-boosting muscle mass with this 10-minute workout. It's about getting back to the basics while targeting the major muscles of the body. If you're new to strength training, this workout is perfect for you. And with no equipment needed, there's no excuse not to do it. Press play and get ready to get your sweat on!
10 Minutes to a Tighter Core . . . No Crunches Required
Hardcore Core Move: Plank Side Walk
Love the Lunge! A Leg-Strengthening Agility Workout For Runners
Read More »from Build Strength to Blast Fat in 10 Minutes
Source: Feel the Burn With This 5-Minute Ab Workout
If you have five minutes and a place to sit, you can work on your six pack. These five moves work your entire core in almost no time. Take a break and tone your midsection with this ab workout!
Seated Trunk Twist
- Sit on the ground with your legs extended out in front of you, and lean ever so slightly forward.
- Keeping your elbows relaxed, lift your hands so they are even with the bottom of your rib cage.
- Pull your navel to your spine, and twist slowly to the right touching the floor by your hip. The movement is not large and comes from the ribs rotating. Inhale through center and rotate to the left. This completes one rep.
- Repeat for one minute.
- Lie on your back and reach your arms at rigid your side, off of the floor. Lift your legs off the floor and point them so they are at about a 45-degree angle. Lift your head so your shoulders are off of the floor as well.
- When ready to begin, lift your upper torso
Instead of a drab corner space, brighten up your home gym with tips and decorating gear that'll make you want to tone at your own addy.
by Monica Khemsurov
More from SELF:
Read More »from How to Decorate Your Home Gym
- POPSUGAR Fitness | Healthy Living – Wed, Sep 18, 2013 4:43 PM EDT
Source: Squat Variations to Kick Your Workout Into High Gear
Squats are to your legs and tush as push-ups are to your arms and core - you've got to be one with the squat if you want to tone your lower body. The basic move is hard enough, but here are some ways to make it even more challenging.
- Target different muscles in your lower body with yoga variations including Open Side Fierce where you twist your torso, or Goddess with your legs wide (also called Sumo Squat).
- Raise one heel at a time as you lift and lower your hips. Also try lifting both heels together, either during the squat or at the very end when you come up to target your calves and strengthen your sense of balalnce.
- Instead of lifting and lowering your bum, hold the lowered squat position for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Work one side at a time by lifting one leg (to get legs like Cameron Diaz).
- Do more reps. With this plan you can build up to 200 in just four weeks.
- Make it a multitasking move for your upper and
Want to cut calories but don't want to overhaul your diet to do it? We've got 10 easy nutritionist-approved food swaps from our nutrition blogger and RD, Sarah-Jane Bedwell.
More from SELF:
Read More »from Easy Food Swaps that Cut Calories
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST