In all of the frenzy, don't lose sight of one nontrivial constituency: your guests.
By Jeff Wilser for TheKnot.com
Vitalic Photo / The Knot1. Fact: They'll like the wedding that you like
The best weddings are the ones where the bride and groom did it their way. Formal and ritzy? Great. Casual and festive? Also great. Do what you want. Your guests won't judge. Okay, some will. But remember what you learned in kindergarten: If they judge you by your cake display, they're not your real friends anyway.
2. Fact: They want you to register
You will have many difficult decisions in life. (How many kids? Rent or buy? Public or private school? Ground or whole-bean coffee?) Opting for a gift registry is not one of the hard decisions. Trust us. Your guests want it. By registering, you get exactly what you wish -- no duplicate gravy boats -- and spare your guests confusion. Easy call. Plus, it's easier than ever before: You can now use your iPhone as a scan gun, sip champagne if you're registering in store (you can do
In all of the frenzy, don't lose sight of one nontrivial constituency: your guests.Read More »from 12 Shocking Facts About Your Wedding Guests
- TheKnot.com | Love + Sex – Tue, May 14, 2013 10:57 AM EDT
By The Editors of TheKnot.comRead More »from Surprising Wedding Traditions (and Superstitions) from Around the Globe
Cly Creation / The KnotEveryone's got a know-it-all in the family: the uncle who spits out World Series stats at the drop of a hat, the sister who can list all the James Bond flicks in reverse chronological order, the reptile-enthusiast cousin. We're proud to be your wedding equivalent -- here are 50 wedding facts to ponder as you plan your big day:
Good Luck and Bad Luck
1. Hey, brides, tuck a sugar cube into your glove -- according to Greek culture, the sugar will sweeten your union.
2. The English believe a spider found in a wedding dress means good luck. Yikes!
3. In English tradition, Wednesday is considered the "best day" to marry, although Monday is for wealth and Tuesday is for health.
4. The groom carries the bride across the threshold to bravely protect her from evil spirits lurking below.
5. Saturday is the unluckiest wedding day, according to English folklore. Funny -- it's the most popular day of the week to marry!
More from The Knot: 20 Wedding traditions you
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – Tue, May 14, 2013 10:30 AM EDT
Lamar and I want everyone to be empowered with the right tools that will enable them to have healthy unions and to be able to face every storm or trial that comes their way. We believe that you should have thriving relationships, and not just relationships that are simply surviving. And while every relationship goes through it's trials, there is a big difference between a bad spell and a 5, 10, or 20 year period of suffering arguing, fighting and just all out dysfunction. Lamar and I get letters, almost daily, from people that are hurting. And they are staying in marriages, for 15 to 20 years or more, with a spouse that is a serial cheater, or that is verbally or physically abusive. These people in are relationships with no intimacy, no affection, and no cohesion. And my answer to them is, GET OUT. But wait…GET OUT does not necessarily mean leaving the marriage. To me, getting out means doing what ever you need to do to move your relationship from it's current state. And for someRead More »from Relationship Wreck: 7 Reasons to Get Out of a Bad Marriage NOW
There's a reason that sometimes they can't help but stop and stare.
We Asked: Viren Swami, Ph.D., YouBeauty Attraction Expert and Reader in Psychology at the University of Westminster in London, England.
The Answer: They stare, they ogle, they pat and they pinch. But what is it that draws some men so intensely to the female behind? The long held theory that an hourglass figure, including a full lower body, is attractive because it suggests health and fertility has been largely discredited. It has yet to be replaced by a convincing alternative.
MORE: Best Sculpting Exercises for Your Butt Type
What we do know is that a booty is a uniquely female trait-and therefore uniquely feminine. After puberty, sex hormones begin to dictate the distribution of fat on the body. In men, fat accumulation is stimulated around the gut and inhibited in the seat. It's the opposite for women, who tend to carry fat in their gluteofemoral region, that is, the butt and thighs.
MORE: Butt Moments Through The Years
That doesn't mean that males everywhere areRead More »from Why Do Men Love Women's Butts?
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Love + Sex – Mon, May 13, 2013 5:09 PM EDT
Just who is Ahmed Angel, the mysteriously bright-eyed, shiny-haired, self-loving poser trending online everywhere from Reddit to Kotaku to BuzzFeed? We're not certain, honestly. But here's what we've gathered so far:
1. He is planet. And in a loving tribute to himself, he shows us all what that means.
2. He rocks acid-washed jeans. And not only that—he can look equally divine in shades of mustard, turquoise, taupe, cherry-red, yellow, chartreuse, pink, and white.Read More »from Ahmed Angel: Everything We Know About The Internet's Favorite Male Model (Except if He's Real)
3. He’s accomplished, yet still learning. Angel is both a doctor and a student. (It all depends which Facebook account you’re referring to—the regular page, on which he’s a student, or the “official” page, on which he’s a doctor, and which is the only page “liked” by the regular one.)
4. His FB fans are gushers. They tell him, “You make my life complete,” and, “You are a wonderful creature,” and call him “mega-inspirational,” “amazing,” “the best forever,” “more beautiful than the sun and the moon combined,” and, simply,
- Cosmopolitan.com | Love + Sex – Mon, May 13, 2013 3:58 PM EDT
Here's what to do when you get a confusing text from a guy.Sometimes deciphering men's texts can be like translating ancient Greek. Is he reall "LOL?" And when should you stop sending him that floating question mark after he is-or isn't-ignoring you? Enter HeTexted.com, a site where users upload screenshots of their maddening man texts for community commenting. HeTexted.com co-founder Carrie Henderson-McDermott breaks down the top nine man texts that confuse and enrage us.Read More »from Top 9 Most Confusing Guy Texts – Finally Explained
By Carson Griffith
1. The Send-A-Pic Text
A common gateway to sexting, this is when your crush asks you to send a picture of yourself, sending you into a panic looking for good lighting, cute angles, and indecision over whether or not you should go the R- or G-rated route.
Example: "Your outfit sounds hot. Send a pic!"
What to do: Consider the recipient and make sure it's someone you really trust. "This is the text that guys send to see how far they can get you to go," says Henderson. "It rarely ends well. Our rule: If you wouldn't send it to your mother, don't send it."
CorbisSuppose that your partner hasn't been, shall we say, all that steamy between the sheets lately. No matter how much effort you put into improving the situation- primping everything that can be primped, dropping a small fortune on uncomfortable lingerie, putting together the perfect slow-jam playlist, decanting a bottle of robust pinot noir at bedside- you're unable to create enough of a spark to light a match, never mind a roaring, passionate fire.
And, understandably, you're quite irritated about the whole thing. You want to vent, desperately, lest your head explode with frustration. Do you phone a friend? Do you contact a lot of friends by sharing wry comments on Facebook, Twitter and other social media? Or do you unleash your angst on your own anonymous blog, sparing no detail, leaving no gripe behind? Blasting your partner online may temporarily make you feel better. It's cheaper than therapy. However, should your beloved stumble upon your online comments, the scarcity of lustyRead More »from Mortified: A Novel About Oversharing
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – Mon, May 13, 2013 1:29 PM EDT
Thirteen years ago, after Casey and I let the cat out of the bag and told everyone we were engaged, we were both bombarded with marriage tips. Some of that advice was good advice and some of that advice was… not. Unfortunately for us, we didn't know which tips were good tips and which tips were bad tips. We had to learn through trial and error, and some of those learning experiences almost cost us our marriage-and many nights of sleep. I'm sure that some of the advice is good for other couples, but it was just plain bad advice for us. And I'm also sure that some of the advice I would give to a newlywed couple would turn out to be terrible advice for them in the end as well. But some of the tips we received, we'd never give to anyone else regardless of the couple and I have no idea how some of these tips ever passed as good marriage advice in the first place. Here is my list of the top 7 worst marriage tips that I received before I got married. - By Cody Coombs
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from Unsolicited Advice: 7 Worst Marriage Tips Offered to Newlyweds
- Astrology.com Tarot | Love + Sex – Mon, May 13, 2013 12:27 PM EDT
The Nine of Pentacles card reversed suggests that you may be in a prime position to commemorate the end and the beginning of a cycle in your love life. A desire to be free and retreat may take precedence. Reject artificial or attention-getting behavior. Temporary lovers or shallow distractions may not cultivate trust or may bring only momentary fulfillment, for these things need constant replenishment and upkeep. Aimlessness, dependency or wasteful indulgences may not leave much room for the soul time you need in order to foster personal development. Instead, reclaim your sensuality by nurturing those wild, but finer things you may have taken for granted. Those simple things that you can count on to almost take care of themselves will give back in abundance.
Observe his postureResearch shows that 70 to 90 percent of our communication is nonverbal. Find out what your date is really telling you by looking at these 11 cues.Read More »from What His Body Language is Really Saying
1. Observe his posture
Leaning back with his arms crossed in front of him could mean that your date isn't into you-unless you are sitting at a chilly outdoor café and he's cold. His actions should match his words, so watch for verbal and nonverbal consistency. Telling you that he's having a great time while leaning back and looking toward the door or saying "yes" while shaking his head are bad signs.
2. What his smile means
A faux-happy smile ends at the lips, while a genuine one will make the corners of his eyes crinkle into crow's feet, which, according to experts, is one of the hardest things to fake.
3. His nose movement
Flared nostrils indicate increased heart rate, which could mean he's angry, sexually aroused-or both!
Related: The Real Reason Why Men Cheat
4. Follow his feet
A body points toward
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Pesto Chicken Burgers15 hours ago