- Diane Mizota, Host Of This Week In M.o.m. | Moments Of Motherhood | Thu, Jun 14, 2012 2:25 PM EDT | Comments...Read More »
- Diane Mizota, Host Of This Week In M.o.m. | Moments Of Motherhood | Wed, Jun 13, 2012 2:39 PM EDT | CommentsThere she is America, Emily Maynard, the first single mom chosen as the Bachelorette. Each week she's glammed up and sipping cocktails with her array of camera-hungry, well-muscled suitors. Traveling the globe on fantasy dates with her man harem AND her six year-old daughter in tow. The men seem genuinely into her (as they always do) and she seems to be doing a good job of weeding out men who aren't "there for the right reasons".
But that's reality TV. In actual reality, single mom dating looks drastically different. Yes, there are cocktails, and there are suitors. But there also are babysitters. Exes. Rejections. And not a helicopter ride or cliff diving date in sight.
Throngs of eligible men, willing to step into a step-father role are not lining up to date single moms. In fact, in reading online dating profiles, you could venture a guess that 50% of the men on there won't even see a single mom's profile because of their preference to date women without kids. So what is it l...Read More »
- Charlene Prince Birkeland, Shine Staff | Moments Of Motherhood | Mon, Jun 11, 2012 6:40 PM EDT | Comments
...Read More »The kids are out of school and while you want them to go outside and play, they want to sit around inside and chill. out.
Get the kids moving!
Hello, lazy days of summer.
Here's the thing: The kids may not want to be lazy; they just don't know what to do with themselves. After months of school where their every moment is scheduled out, kids sometimes lose their get-up-and-go.
Boredom is okay...until they're driving you insane with their incessant whines of, "I don't have anything to do!"
So inspire them. Kick start their summer vacation with some outdoor fun that the whole family can enjoy:
Go on a neighborhood walk. Start out with a leisurely early-morning stroll around the neighborhood. Let your kids notice the different sounds and sights at an hour where they're normally sitting in their desks at school.
Geocache in your neighborhood or a local trail. Let your kids hunt for treasure with geocaching! If you believe your area doesn't have any geocaching, think again. Check out Geocaching.com, drop in
- Diane Mizota, Host Of This Week In M.o.m. | Moments Of Motherhood | Fri, Jun 8, 2012 11:33 AM EDT | Comments...Read More »
- Diane Mizota, Host Of This Week In M.o.m. | Moments Of Motherhood | Mon, Jun 4, 2012 8:17 PM EDT | Comments
My four year old has pulled out the big guns. And oh boy, are we having a moment of motherhood! Not the soft, fuzzy, victorious kind, but the kind where you've got to dig deep and earn your mommy stripes. When your sweet little one, the apple of your eye, looks you dead in the eye, screeching, "I hate you Mommy!" Ah, motherhood.
Once abided by without question, established rules in our house are now met with HATRED. No video games at the dinner table. If you don't pick up your stuff you lose it. No dessert if you don't eat your dinner. Perfectly reasonable rules all now elicit the "H" bomb.
"I hate you mommy!"
Adults don't speak those powerful words to each other for a reason. I haven't been on the receiving end of them for years, AND I've been through a divorce. (ba-dum-bum!) For a moment, I forgot that they were coming from my irrational, developing son, and felt their raw impact in my gut, where I was transported back to the schoolyard. Where kids learn the power of t...Read More »
What was the biggest mess your little ones ever left you?