You most definitely don't need to spring into a state of hysteria just because we flipped the calendar to November. Time--and grocery store savings--are on your side. We asked money-saving experts how getting a jump on our Thanksgiving shopping can save our food dollars and our sanity.
Make a plan
"The key to saving on groceries," says Stephanie Nelson, a.k.a. the Coupon Mom, "is taking time to plan your list and shopping strategy." The time spent planning will be paid off in savings. "Sit down and list the dishes you plan to make and the ingredients you will need to buy." Take a full inventory of your kitchen to know what you already have on hand and what you still need.
Let sales dictate the menu
"Try to only buy items on sale," advises Ellie Kay author of Living Rich for Less. "With a specific menu, you're obligated to buy the groceries on your menu." But when you buy only what's on sale, you let your family eat well and at the lowest price point possible.
Seize the day
You most definitely don't need to spring into a state of hysteria just because we flipped the calendar to November. Time--and grocery store savings--are on your side. We asked money-saving experts how getting a jump on our Thanksgiving shopping can save our food dollars and our sanity.Read More »from Shopping ahead for Thanksgiving staples
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST