Odyssey of Marriage
- Yourtango.com | Odyssey of Marriage | Wed, May 23, 2012 5:31 PM EDT | CommentsThanks to Bravo, housewives are a big hit on the reality TV circuit these days. But in real life, unscripted women are hard at work balancing being wives, mother and full-time employees.
Despite being paid for leave, some women skimp on maternity time to head back to work.
A study by the U.S. Census Bureau shows that a majority of first-time, working mothers are receiving paid maternity leave. This is the first time this has happened since the government began tracking that data, which was back in the early 80s. Women with college educations reap even more of a benefit; ladies with bachelor's degrees or higher are more likely to get paid maternity leave than those with less than a high school diploma.
Interestingly, it was also found that despite that perk of paid leave, many mothers are working later and later into their pregnancies - and returning to work sooner than mothers in previous generations did.
It's all a reflection of economic struggles, according to experts in the field. More and more often, families are relying on women to be primary breadwinners, which ...Read More »
- Yourtango.com | Odyssey of Marriage | Fri, May 18, 2012 4:48 PM EDT | CommentsRelationships and marriage take more work than we ever imagined. They challenge us to look at our own foibles, fears, and personal struggles deep within. I have seen people push through intense pain and disappointment in their marriage and come out on the other end to find their relationship on a better level, one which they never imagined possible. However, no growth is gained without discomfort and struggle.
You have nothing to lose and a happier relationship to gain.
I have also seen people who ultimately choose to formally exit their marriage because even after looking deep within and giving the marriage a fighting chance, they must accept the sobering fact that their chance to grow as a couple is close to impossible due to their partner's dysfunctional limitations. Yet, the silver lining for many of these folks is that they ultimately enter a new relationship or marriage where they are able to do the hard work with a new partner who is willing to work as hard as they are. Read More: A Smart Tip to Having Less Drama in Your Relationship
So...Read More »
- By Stephanie Modkins | Yahoo! Contributor Network | Tue, May 22, 2012 10:31 AM EDT | Comments
Thinking of filing for divorce? Before you visit an attorney, weigh your options. Leaving your mate may not make life better. Instead, you could end up worse off than before you walked down the aisle. Below are five reasons to stay in your marriage and create the happy ever after you've been dreaming of.
1. The grass isn't greener.
Despite what you might believe, every couple has problems that pop up throughout their relationship. A more attractive, rich or easygoing spouse won't completely eliminate your troubles. The key is to work through your issues with the spirit of compromise and relinquish a few of your desires in the name of love.
2. Finding love isn't easy.
2010 statistics displayed at Infoplease.com state that 20.4% of males and 13.8% of females over the age of 40 have never been married. Undoubtedly, out of this group, a few individuals were probably yearning to find a partner. Yet, as they aged, the pool of single people grew smaller. Therefore, a major reason to s...Read More »
- Woman S Day | Love + Sex | Wed, Jun 6, 2012 10:40 AM EDT | CommentsBy Stephanie Emma Pfeffer
Every marriage has its uh-oh moments that leave you questioning your compatibility as a couple. While some behaviors, like cheating, are obvious deal-breakers, other seeming threats can actually have a positive impact on your relationship. Below, nine marital mannerisms that may seem ominous but truly can be good, according to experts. Plus, what to watch out for so things don't go too far. Photo by: Thinkstock
1. You both fantasize about other people.
"Fantasies are an ancient aphrodisiac," says Iris Krasnow, author of The Secret Lives of Wives: Women Share What It Really Takes to Stay Married. "A vivid imagination allows you to open up to your partner physically and emotionally." So thinking about a sexy neighbor, for example, can improve your marriage-as long as those racy visions stay in your mind. That means leave it out of pillow talk; neither of you needs to know exactly who-or what-the other is thinking about. And don't let daydrea...Read More »
- Babble.com | Odyssey of Marriage | Thu, May 10, 2012 5:50 PM EDT | CommentsWhen kids enter into a family, it makes life more fun, more purposeful and more beautiful. There is no doubt that it causes a strain on the relationship you have with your partner: the time gets split up, the ability to get up and go becomes hindered and energy levels can be zapped.
That is why it is important to work on your relationship as well - keep it alive, fun and loving. Let's face it, going out on a date with kids at home can sometimes feel impossible. You have to find a babysitter you trust and it can add up to quite a lot of money once you factor in the cost of the date and the babysitter. Most of us only have time for that once a month, but most of us need the time with our partner more often.
As parents, we are really great at thinking on our toes - it's something we need to be good at with all the strange things our kids like to throw at us. So, why not apply that to your relationship and think outside the box? You don't need to plan a date far in advance just to spend ...Read More »