In March of 2012, baby Hayden was born to the Dorsett family. While his delivery was perfect, Hayden spent many days in the NICU because he was born with a very rare birth defect called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. "His first smile happened in room 11 in the CICU--and it seemed he didn't stop smiling until the day everything in our lives flipped upside down", writes his mom. After an open heart surgery and many days in the hospital, Hayden passed away at 5 months old. Heart broken, Hayden's mom started the Hayden's Heart Foundation to raise awareness and provide support to families going through similarRead More »from One Mom’s Heartwarming Tribute to Raise Awareness of Congenital Heart Disease
- BabyZone | Parenting – Thu, Feb 13, 2014 12:37 PM ESTHaydenWhile many moms are adorning crafts and cards with hearts in the week leading up to Valentine's Day, Hayden's mom is raising awareness for the babies' born with Congenital Heart Defects. During Congenital Heart Disease Awareness Week, and all year long, the Hayden's Heart foundation is helping families endure the diagnosis by honoring the little boy who was loved by many.
- BabyZone | Parenting – Thu, Feb 13, 2014 12:35 PM ESTWe're new to living the U.S. as a family, after moving to North Carolina from Rome last year, and loving the fun of special days like Valentine's Day. Only here's the rub: I head up a blog about cooking healthy foods for kids and V-day is hardly sugar-free these days. That's why we've come up with 7 sweet ways to celebrate…without quite so much sugar, but all the fun.
-Charity Curley Mathews Read More »from 7 (Pretty) Healthy Valentine’s Day Recipes for Toddlers & Preschoolers
(Newser) - In a story as bizarre as it is deja vu-ish, a 44-year-old fetus has been found in an 84-year-old Brazilian woman. The Daily Mail reports by way of G1 that the discovery came last Friday, when the woman's intense stomach pains landed her in a hospital in Tocantins state in central Brazil.
Early Pregnancy Ultrasound showing fetus in sac.X-rays revealed the unthinkable: a "stone baby." As the International Business Times explains the rare phenomenon is known as lithopedion, in which the fetus grows and then dies outside of the uterus. With the body unable to rid itself of it, the dead fetus is instead covered in calcium as a means of protection, resulting in the "stone baby."
Per G1, the woman says she became pregnant more than 40 years ago but suffered pain during the pregnancy, and visited a healer for help. After taking what he had given her, "Her stomach didn't grow any more, the baby stopped moving, and she thought it had been aborted," says a gynecologist at the hospital where she was transferred.
TheRead More »from Doctors Find 44-Year-Old Fetus in Woman, 84
By Louis DeNicola, Cheapism.com
From diapers to clothing and all sorts of other necessities, raising a child drains your resources. Already strapped for cash, parents must purchase multiple car seats to comply with safety guidelines as children grow. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children should ride in rear-facing seats until they are at least 2 years old -- long after they've outgrown a baby seat. With a convertible car seat, parents can safely ferry children around town facing backward and switch to a front-facing position when they're ready.
Just having the right car seat doesn't guarantee safety, however. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration links thousands of injuries and deaths to seats that have been installed incorrectly. Nearly all car seats, and all vehicles manufactured since 2002, come with the LATCH system. ThisRead More »from 3 Best Car Seats Under $100
- A Message to My Daughter: Don't Be a
As I kissed her on the cheek, I heard the words echo in my consciousness and suddenly remembered having my arms pinned behind my back as the same words were whispered in my ear.
"Be a good girl, and do what I tell you."
I was 14 and in that liminal Lolita world between thinking like a child and looking like a woman. He used those words on me when he pushed me into the deep end of his family swimming pool, and pinned me against the tile with the pretty floral pattern.
"Be a good girl, and do what I say."
Which I did.
Which is why to this day the smell of chlorine makes me sick to my stomach.
This scene from childhood is rarely dredged up -- but it's been on my mind while I've been glued to the Dylan Farrow/Woody Allen tragedy like a gruesome train-wreck.
The words I heard are the same ones Dylan Farrow claims Woody Allen used on her:
"I was seven years old, Woody Allen took me byRead More »from A Message to My Daughter: Don’t Be a “Good Girl”
- Jenny Isenman from TheSuburbanJungle | Parenting – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 6:26 PM ESTV-Day AwkwardnessThis is still one of my favorite V-Day moments (awkwardness, inappropriateness, and fear for my reputation aside).
On February 14th a few years back, Ry, my daughter, then 5 years old, trotted into my room to wish me a happy Valentine's Day, to hand me a stunning hand-made card, and to neck.
Sure, they tell you not to make-out with your kids, but sometimes there's a fine line between so cute and so scary.
What parent doesn't secretly love it when their child says they want to marry them (assuming they're too young for marriage at the time)? I mean, for how many more years are they going to want to hug, snuggle, or hold hands?
"This card is sooo beautiful. Come give Mommy a kiss," I said in a very innocent non-romantic way.
Ry, maybe wanting to show me the magnitude of the holiday, grabbed my face with both hands and planted the biggest soap opera smooch on me. I started to giggleRead More »from Soap Opera Smooches with a 5 Year Old and Other Awkward V-Day Moments with the Kids
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 5:29 PM ESTCar Seat Recall As a car seat and car safety fanatic, I try to keep an eye out for things like car seat recalls and other similar announcements. Making major headlines today -- Graco, one of the leading car seat manufacturers in the United States, is recalling nearly 3.8 million seats made between 2009 and July 2013.
Over the past several years, both the company and the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration have received complaints that the buckles on the Graco convertibles and combination seats have a tendency to get stuck, sometimes to the point children have had to be cut out of their seats. And while this isn't an a major issue when it comes to restraining a child in an accident, it does become an issue if the car is on fire, or if the car seat is used on an airplane and the passengers need to be evacuated quickly. The difficulty unbuckling is reported to be even worse when food or beverage remnants have gotten into the buckle.
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Parenting – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 4:33 PM EST
princessification,” and distorted body images, in fact, have made it downright thorny. So it's easy to understand why one vintage Lego ad — the one from 1981, in which a proud little girl in a blue T-shirt is holding up her primary-colored creation (above left) — keeps popping up online as an example of idyllic, pre-boys’-aisle-girls’-aisle nostalgia.The topic of toys is no longer child’s play: Debates over gender stereotyping, “Read More »from Girl From Iconic 1981 Lego Ad Is Now a Doctor, Not Impressed With Pink Legos
More on Shine: Lego Responds to 7-Year-Old-Girl's Awesome Letter
Feminist website Jezebel, for example, praised it in 2009 for having “No princesses, no pink Legos, no glittery sparkles, just a girl and her toys, having a blast.” And it was everywhere again in 2011, when Lego was criticized after introducing its purple-packaged Friends line, aimed at girls. The ad’s most recent viral moment was in January, when a Huffington Post piece declared that its copy should be “required reading for everyone who makes, buys or sells toys.” And that was what led writer
- 5 Things My Little Girl Has Taught Me in the New YearKids have this amazing way of experiencing life. I watch my daughter and I am amazed by her way of being. It's like she's mastered how to navigate this thing called life in just 15 short months. How did she do that?
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 2:53 PM ESTTry Not Having Kids: Funny Viral Video Mocks Real Anxiety Feeling stressed because all of your friends have decided to have kids and you're on the fence? Then the video below is for you. It's all about the leisurely-strolling, picnic-having, ice cream-savoring, glass-clinking benefits of not having kids.
Why, oh why, didn't this ersatz ad surface four years ago? Had I followed its sage advice then, I might be spending my days skipping in the sunshine and sniffing wine corks instead of slipping on wayward wet wipes and sniffing, ahem, bottoms.
Kidding aside, I believe a major reason the video has racked up more than 1 million hits on YouTube is because it makes light of some very real anxieties facing folks in their 20s and 30s today. Are they ready to give up their fairly carefree lives or compromise their demanding careers to raise a human being? If they choose not to, will they regret it later in life?
Not feeling ready was the main reason my husband and I didn't have our first child until about five years after we gotRead More »from Try Not Having Kids: Funny Viral Video Mocks Real Anxiety
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST