I've been reading a few WWII-era books this month, so I already kind of had the 1940s on the brain when I totally lucked out and found a vintage-inspired dress at the thrift store. This, logically, led to a tear-filled viewing of The Notebook. I'm a total sucker for vintage dresses in movies and TV shows. From The Great Gatsby to Mad Men, I've rounded up all kinds of vintage fashion inspiration as well as 4 online shops where you can find the dress of your vintage dreams. -By Kayla MoncurRead More »from How to Wear Vintage Dresses: Inspiration and 4 Places to Find ‘Em!
- Babble.com | Fashion – Thu, Feb 20, 2014 3:47 PM EST
- Everyday Health | Healthy Living – Thu, Feb 20, 2014 3:40 PM ESTHow far would you go to lose weight?
By Susan E. Matthews, Everyday Health
Americans are constantly on the prowl for the next quick-fix weight loss solution, and last week they found it in a pill that inflates into a balloon in your stomach. The idea is that the balloon fills up part of your stomach, forcing you to eat less over the three months it will remain there, until it is extracted backwards through the throat.
RELATED: 6 Habits That Lead to Weight Loss
While this idea seems like a simple solution to the trials and tribulations most people face when it comes to dieting, it's not quite the magic bullet many people crave. For one thing, it's not available in the United States - the Food and Drug Administration has not yet approved it - and the company behind the balloon pill, Obalon, is still conducting tests to prove its efficacy. The pill is available in Europe, and just became available in the U.K. (spurring the media flurry), though it can cost up to £4,000, or $6,500. Moreover, because it'sRead More »from Could This Inflatable Balloon Pill Help You Lose Weight?
- POPSUGAR Beauty | Beauty – Thu, Feb 20, 2014 3:32 PM ESTPOPSUGAR BeautySource: Girl-Tested, Man-Approved Lipsticks For Valentine's Day
We've all been there. You carefully apply a bright lip color before your big date (yeah, that date with that guy), you leave the door feeling confident, and then an hour into dinner, when you check your face in the bathroom, you realize it's smeared below your lip line and has gotten on your teeth. Worse yet, it's postdate and he finally leans in for the goodnight kiss (fireworks!), but when he pulls away, you're horrified to see your cranberry lip stain all over his chin.
Ladies, we're here to help. The day of love has just passed us, but that doesn't mean your perfectly colored pout should be put on hold. So we rounded up our style editorial team and we tested six rockin' lip products from glosses to traditional lipsticks to something called a lip tar (but more on that later). We wore the shades, and then we even made out with our guys - and got them to weigh in on the taste, texture, and smell of the lippies.Read More »from Girl-Tested, Man-Approved Lipsticks for Valentine's Day
Dr. Leslie Lyons has 20,000 genes to sequence, and she needs 99 cats to do it.
Lyons - who made headlines in 2001 when she analyzed the DNA of a cat named Cc and proved that the kitty was the first true cloned cat - is leading the 99 Lives Cat Whole Genome Sequencing Initiative at the University of Missouri.
It could even aid research on diseases that affect both cats and humans like polycystic kidney disease and spinal muscular atrophy.
"When a sick cat comes along, you could genetically sequence it and say, 'Hey, look, this has a variation we've never seen before,'" she told the San Francisco Chronicle. "It might give us clues very quickly as to what genes to focus on forRead More »from What Can You Do with 99 Cats?
- POPSUGAR Beauty | Beauty – Thu, Feb 20, 2014 3:23 PM ESTSource: 5 Tips For Looking Flawless in Your Engagement Pictures
Being engaged comes with plenty of excitement, and one aspect plenty of brides-to-be look forward to is their engagement shoot. And while you may have budgeted professional makeup for the day of your wedding (lucky you!), chances are you're going rogue for your engagement photos. And that's totally fine. These photos look best when they look like you. But in case you're still a little unsure of things, here are five tips to keep in mind when it's picture time:
- Pick a primer. Not only will a primer completely even out your skin tone and work as a base for the rest of your makeup, but it will also keep your product from slipping down your face midshoot. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer ($36) is a classic. Smooth it on before you apply your makeup.
- Go for full coverage. Your engagement photos are not the place to bust out your favorite tinted moisturizer. A foundation with full coverage, like Make Up For Ever HD
- POPSUGAR Beauty | Beauty – Thu, Feb 20, 2014 3:21 PM ESTPOPSUGAR BeautySource: Sushi Is Bad For Your Skin, but Smiling Is Good! Got It?
We spend so much time obsessing about what goes on our skin, and how to keep our complexions looking gorgeous with creams, serums, and treatments. But Dr. Harold Lancer, dermatologist to the stars and the creator of the superpopular Lancer skincare line, wants us to be as concerned with what we're putting into our bodies and how that shows up on our faces. With his new book Younger: The Breakthrough Anti-Aging Method For Radiant Skin hitting bookshelves, Lancer answered a few of our questions, and yes, smiling is actually good for your wrinkles.
POPSUGAR: How bad are processed foods for your skin?
Dr. Harold Lancer: Processed foods are usually heavy in refined carbs, artificial sweeteners, as well as traces of chemicals like pesticides and hormones, all of which are terrible for the skin and your general health. Refined carbs are the main culprit, though, causing the body's glucose levels to skyrocket, beginning aRead More »from Sushi is Bad for Your Skin, but Smiling is Good! Got It?
- Lucky Magazine | Beauty – Thu, Feb 20, 2014 3:17 PM EST
by Lucky StaffersRead More »from Winter-Proof Your Beauty Routine like Olympic Snowboarder Hannah Teter
Hanna Teter snowboards, she runs two different charities (a maple syrup company called Hannah's Gold, which benefits an impoverished village in Kenya, plus she supports Boarding for Breast Cancer) and has a very appealing beauty routine to boot. Click through for the two-time Olympic medalist's winter beauty must-haves.
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – Thu, Feb 20, 2014 3:17 PM ESTFun and Free Dates Since I had a baby in November, I've found it's way more important to carve out time to spend with my husband, and yet it's a lot harder. It's easy to get caught up in the "It costs too much," and "Oh, yeah, we need a babysitter!" mindset.
While it'd be ideal if money wasn't an issue when it came to date night, for many of us, it is. I've found that if we put a few bucks aside during the week or plan on doing something extra cheap, then spending time together is really doable and fun (and I really love having some time to reconnect and not think about changing diapers!).
For those of you with kids, a great way to get a night of free childcare is to trade-off with other parents. You watch their kids so they can get a night out, and they do the same for you.
Below are 6 date ideas that won't clean out your bank account, and you can use all year long!
1. Have a His and Hers Massage NightRead More »from Love Don't Cost a Thing: 6 Date Ideas that Are Totally Free
If you have the house to
- Source: Double the Detox With These Water Additions
When you're trying to get your health back on track, there are many ways to detox your way to feeling better. The best way to flush out toxins, however, is simple: lots and lots of water. But you don't have to drink it plain; you can add a little flavor as well with these delicious (and detoxifying) additions. Add all of these to a large pitcher or bottle of water and drink throughout the next day for an effective way to detox! It helps to let these pieces soak overnight in your fridge to let the flavors meld.
- Lemon: Lemon water makes for a powerful detox drink; lemon juice helps to cleanse and alkalize the body. Add one thinly sliced lemon to a large pitcher, or squeeze fresh lemon juice into your glass.
- Mint: Mint adds a touch of sweetness without the sugar to your water, and it also helps settle your stomach and aids in digestion as well.
- Cucumber: Cucumber water isn't just for spas. Adding a few slices of cucumber
- Habits Keeping You Single I've been single for seven months. Although I don't expect to enter into a relationship right after a breakup, I should be dating more often than I am. I'm over my ex, so an aching heart isn't stopping me from mingling. I've actually been on plenty of dates. One guy here. One guy there. But nothing consistent. And I wonder, am I doing something wrong?
I believe in accepting responsibility for my choices. I know that I have chosen the wrong men, the wrong relationships. Maybe I still am. Perhaps I have to work on some habits and break patterns that still exist when I date.
I've been candid about my pattern of dating emotionally unavailable men, as well as my love of bartenders and their love for me. I did meet a bartender this year. Just a few weeks into 2014, I met him at a bar (he was not serving, however), and he asked for my number. I gave it to him even though I was leaving Los Angeles two weeks later. I knew it wouldn'tRead More »from 7 Bad Habits that Might Be Keeping Me Single
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST