Over the past several years, both the company and the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration have received complaints that the buckles on the Graco convertibles and combination seats have a tendency to get stuck, sometimes to the point children have had to be cut out of their seats. And while this isn't an a major issue when it comes to restraining a child in an accident, it does become an issue if the car is on fire, or if the car seat is used on an airplane and the passengers need to be evacuated quickly. The difficulty unbuckling is reported to be even worse when food or beverage remnants have gotten into the buckle.
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 5:29 PM ESTCar Seat Recall As a car seat and car safety fanatic, I try to keep an eye out for things like car seat recalls and other similar announcements. Making major headlines today -- Graco, one of the leading car seat manufacturers in the United States, is recalling nearly 3.8 million seats made between 2009 and July 2013.
by Alexandra Samuel
Devon JarvisGuys, put down the Russell Stover box. Heck, it isn't even February 13 yet. Besides, you know that chocolate is pure crap -- and there's no reason to put said crap into your body unless it's one of our favorite superfoods, dark chocolate. But hey, on Valentine's Day, you want to look your best, and a box of chocolates ain't gonna get you there.
But chocolate does contain antioxidants. And that's where beauty comes in -- many brands are capitalizing on the sweet treat's anti-aging benefits, using chocolate as a product's hallmark ingredient. Yum, right? There are also the beauty products that smell like chocolate, well, just cause. And we're all for some guilt-free chocolate. Indulge and #TreatYoSelf with some of the yummiest chocolate beauty products around -- they're all calorie-free!
See more: 5 Simple Steps to Cellulite-Free Skin
* Eminence Chocolate Mousse Hydration Masque: Best for normal to dry skin, this super-decadent mask feels a little bit likeRead More »from Irresistible, Guilt-Free Chocolate Beauty Treats
- Self Magazine | Fashion Week – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 5:18 PM EST
by SELF Staffers
Ladies, in case you didn't know, it's New York Fashion Week -- and some of the hottest designers are showcasing their Fall/Winter 2014 collections throughout the city. Each day, one of SELF's fashion editors will be sharing her favorite moments from inside the trenches. Today, Fashion Director Evyan Metzner (SELF's best-dressed staffer, clearly) shows you what it's really like from the front row. Her biggest takeaway? Play with your accessories -- they can totally change up a look, as they did at the Marc by Marc Jacobs show today (and seen here at right.)
See more: 5 Simple Steps to Cellulite-Free Skin
THE SCARVES: AT J. CREWRead More »from SELF Does NYFW: Scarves, Socks and Shoes Are on Our Minds for Day 6
Evyan Says: J. Crew loves to play with scarves. Think outside the box when it comes to layering your own -- you can style a scarf so many ways!
THE SOCKS: AT TORY BURCH
Evyan Says: It was all about legs and socks at the Tory Burch show. They're the now-official answer to keeping your legs warm while still showing them
by Jenna Rosenstein
QUIRKY.COMI stumbled down a deep Internet rabbit hole this week when I discovered the website Quirky, a crowdsourcing site for inventors. I promise it's a lot more interesting than it sounds. On Quirky, you can invent, or simply offer your thoughts on, the next big things in beauty, lifestyle, and technology. Looking back, I now realize I've lost hours of my life dreaming up marketing slogans and setting prices for products that don't even exist…yet! Let me explain how it works:
Anyone can submit an invention idea, say, for a collapsible bike helmet. The Quirky team then reviews the ideas and meets once a month to vote on which products they want to produce. Once an idea gets approved, the crowdsourcing begins: taglines, slogans, prices, design ideas are all curated and voted on by Quirky members. And when the final design goes into production, the inventor and anyone who helped influence itget a small percentage of the gross sales.
See more: 34 Hair Ideas for 2014Read More »from Check Out Quirky--A Website for Beauty Inventors
- Allure Daily Beauty Reporter | Fashion Week – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 4:57 PM EST
by Elizabeth Siegel
Did you think you were supposed to hide your bobby pins? Silly you. For Zac Posen's fall runway, hairstylist Odile Gilbert lined the basic hairstyling tools neatly up and down models's glossy waves, giving a traditionally romantic hairstyle a new graphic edge.
It was a perfect complement to the "clean drama" (Posen's words) of the collection's voluminous but unadorned gowns.
See more: 34 Hair Ideas for 2014Read More »from Look We Love: Graphic Waves at Zac Posen Fall 2014
"We want the wave, wave, wave," said Gilbert backstage. She used a one-inch curling iron for loose waves. Added plenty of Kérastase Laque Dentelle for a high shine. And then slipped 60 (yup, six zero) bobby pins into each models' s style. "They redesign the wave, and make it something different and modern." The effect was stunning, which isn't all that surprising given Gilbert's history with reimagining hair accessories. The legendary hairstylist has used some
AP -- Gabriel Rangel and Sky the Wire Fox Terrier step into the Best in Show ring at the 138th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.Sky, a 5-year-old Wire Fox Terrier, leapt up onto her hind legs as she was crowned Best in Show at the 138 th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York on Tuesday night.
The Terrier Group has won more often than any other Group in Westminster history - 46 times - and took the top prize as recently as 2010. This is the fourteenth time a Wire Fox Terrier has earned the honor.
"Oh, it's overwhelming," says Sky's handler, Gabriel Rangel, who was in New York from Mexico to show her. "I'm so proud of her…. There's no words to describe this." Rangel also showed the Best in Show-winning Terrier in 2010.
Sky has won 128 Best in Show titles during her career in the ring, including the National Dog Show in 2012 - where she beat Affenpinscher Banana Joe, who won Westminster in 2013. Sky is from California and is owned by Victor Malzoni Jr. and Torie Steele. She already had herRead More »from Meet the 2014 Westminster Dog Show Winner
- Dressed, Glamour Magazine | Fashion Week – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 4:51 PM EST
by Fawnia Soo Hoo
Feel like making a statement without actually saying a word? Well, according to the Fashion Week runways, come this fall, your totes and clutches will be doing the communicating for you--literally.
See more: 10 Beauty Tricks That Make Guys Melt
Read More »from What Does Your Bag Have to Say? According to Runway Designers, a Lot!
- Babble.com | At Home – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 4:40 PM EST
As part of my mission to decorate the house with all things Valentine's Day, I made a set of DIY Conversation Heart Napkin Rings. Then, of course, it led me to Pinterest, which led me to many other amazing tutorials around the internet, all inspired by the same thing - Valentine's Day conversation hearts. Have you ever realized that Pinterest is kind of like a grown up version of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie? Sorry, back to a thing called love. You will love the many amazing crafts people have come up with to decorate for this sweetheart holiday. Check out these 7 awesome conversation heart crafts here! -By Jacinda Boneau
Read More »from 7 Pretty Ways to Decorate Your Home with Conversation Hearts!
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Parenting – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 4:33 PM EST
princessification,” and distorted body images, in fact, have made it downright thorny. So it's easy to understand why one vintage Lego ad — the one from 1981, in which a proud little girl in a blue T-shirt is holding up her primary-colored creation (above left) — keeps popping up online as an example of idyllic, pre-boys’-aisle-girls’-aisle nostalgia.The topic of toys is no longer child’s play: Debates over gender stereotyping, “Read More »from Girl From Iconic 1981 Lego Ad Is Now a Doctor, Not Impressed With Pink Legos
More on Shine: Lego Responds to 7-Year-Old-Girl's Awesome Letter
Feminist website Jezebel, for example, praised it in 2009 for having “No princesses, no pink Legos, no glittery sparkles, just a girl and her toys, having a blast.” And it was everywhere again in 2011, when Lego was criticized after introducing its purple-packaged Friends line, aimed at girls. The ad’s most recent viral moment was in January, when a Huffington Post piece declared that its copy should be “required reading for everyone who makes, buys or sells toys.” And that was what led writer
- Babble.com | Healthy Living – Wed, Feb 12, 2014 4:30 PM ESTPrevent StrokesIt wasn't until I'd been off hormonal birth control for several months that I realized that the risk of blood clots -- and hence, strokes and heart attacks -- were increased while those hormones flowed through my body. And it wasn't until a few years later, when my eldest brother had a stroke at age 30, that I really became concerned about stroke prevention.
At the time he had his stroke, I was hardly aware that strokes even happened to people under the age of 80. Since then, of course, I've come in contact with many people whose lives have been dramatically altered by strokes at relatively young ages, and seen how devastating it can be to have your life interrupted in that way.
While strokes often seem like fluke occurrences -- happening suddenly in the life of someone who by all accounts appears to be healthy -- the National Stroke Association says, "Up to 80 percent of strokes are preventable." To lower my risk, I exercise frequently, eat lots of vegetables and fruits, andRead More »from Ladies, Here's How to Prevent a Stroke from Happening to You
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST