Forbes—a fact that, depending on your worldview, might elicit anything from feminist pride to universal envy. Of the 268 newcomers to the 2014 Forbes Billionaires list, 42 are women—a single-year record, and the highest-ever percentage of women billionaires (172 out of 1,645) overall. “That’s progress," writes Connie Guglielmo in Forbes, "But only a bit." She continues, "Only 32 billionaire women—or 1.9% of all the globe’s billionaires—had a meaningful hand in building their own fortunes, as opposed to inheriting one from a parent or husband.” (But as for the women who were just lucky? It’s a distinction I’m not entirely sure they mind.)
Among some notable newbies on the wealthy list are:
Folorunsho Alakija, 63, Nigeria
Worth: $2.5 Billion, Self-Made
Alakija is Nigeria’s first female billionaire, thanks to her own lucrative oil-producing asset. After being raised by a wealthy man who had eight wives and 52 children, she worked
Forbes—a fact that, depending on your worldview, might elicit anything from feminist pride to universal envy. Of the 268 newcomers to the 2014 Forbes Billionaires list, 42 are women—a single-year record, and the highest-ever percentage of women billionaires (172 out of 1,645) overall. “That’s progress," writes Connie Guglielmo in Forbes, "But only a bit." She continues, "Only 32 billionaire women—or 1.9% of all the globe’s billionaires—had a meaningful hand in building their own fortunes, as opposed to inheriting one from a parent or husband.” (But as for the women who were just lucky? It’s a distinction I’m not entirely sure they mind.)The world has more female billionaires than ever, according to Read More »from We Now Have More Female Billionaires Than Ever
- Gorgeous red carpet dresses weren't the only pretty things that gave us wedding day inspiration at the Oscars yesterday. From bold lips to soft waves, we have some favorite bridal beauty looks that you can duplicate and have your own red carpet moment.
By: Ivy Jacobson for TheKnot.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/theknot
Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com/theknot
© 2013 The Knot. All rights reserved.Read More »from 5 Gorgeous Bridal Beauty Looks from the Oscars
By Amy Sinatra Ayres | vetstreet.com
Researchers are closely monitoring the progress of fairy penguin chicks in Tasmania.A year after dozens of little penguins, also known as fairy penguins, were killed by dogs at the Derwent Estuary in Tasmania, scientists are hopeful that they can rebuild the birds' population.
"If you take out half of the birding population that's taken 10 years to build, these small events can be very significant," said researcher Luke Eindoder. "We really have been set back in time. It will take a number of years for the numbers to recover to what they were a few years ago."
He and other researchers are using scopes to check on the chicks in the estuary, and they're cautiously optimistic about an increase in the numbers of penguins. The estuary has added signage and fencing to keep pets out of the area. - Watch it from the AP via the Washington Post
More on Vetstreet.com:
Rare White Penguin Spotted
Video: Dog Wants Penguin Playmate
4 Best Places to Pet Your Cat -- and 1 to Leave Alone
- 15 Worst Dog Breeds for New
- Rare White Penguin Spotted
Welcome to March, DIYers! On March 9, it'll be time to change your clocks! But, before spring rain comes, show your gutters some love. And don't stop there! More on gutters, and a couple of other things you should take care of NOW to avoid big homeowner headaches later. -Megan Baker, thisoldhouse.com
Give your gutters a checkup for Spring
1. Make sure the weight of snow and ice hasn't cracked or detached your gutters, then clear any debris that may cause clogs.
RELATED: How to Get Rid of Ice Dams (to Prevent Gutter Damage)
Trim broken branches
2. Snow and ice storms can make weak branches bend and break. Prune injured limbs to help trees heal.
Replace batteriesRead More »from 3 Fast Fixes You Need to Take Care of NOW
3. After turning clocks forward on March 9, remember to replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Elise Solé, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – Mon, Mar 3, 2014 5:15 PM EST
In theory, a breakup means once a relationship is over, it's over — right? Not so much for these famous former couples, who can't seem to move on, as evidenced by their post-breakup behavior. From sharing online photos of a former flame to blasting him or her in public, here are eight ways Hollywood exes have shown they're still heartbroken.
He posts your photos on social media: On Monday, Justin Bieber Instagrammed a photo of ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez at the Vanity Fair Oscar party (above). "Most elegant princess in the world," Bieber captioned the photo, tweeting it out to his nearly 15 million followers. Doing it once would be creepy enough, but Bieber actually has a history of trolling Gomez online. In January, amid rumors that the pair were reconciling, he posted an old photo of the pair snuggling with the caption, "Love the way you look at me."Read More »from 8 Signs Your Ex Isn't Over You (Hear That, Justin Bieber and Orlando Bloom?)
He orchestrates a “accidental” run-in: Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom (who announced last fall that they were separating after more than
- 7 Reasons Happy Wives Have Happy Husbands There is a movement taking place right now across the world. It is a movement promoting the positive side of marriage. The Happy Wives Club is a group of happy wives, a website, a movement, a revolution, and just something amazing created to show the world happy marriages do exist.
Millions of people are talking about it on Facebook. Twitter had it as the #1 trended topic last week, and the new book, Happy Wives Club, is climbing up the best seller lists. It has inspired me to write this post, along with hundreds of other bloggers who have joined the Happy Wives Club Blog Tour. Yes, a husband has joined the Happy Wives Club movement!
It's exciting to see so many happy wives all over the world loving their marriages. And if there are a lot of happy wives, then that means there are a lot of happy husbands. You've heard the quote "a happy wife, means a happy life."
My wife is one of those happy wives, and I am a happy husband because of it. I recently wrote a blog post about myRead More »from 7 Reasons Happy Wives Have Happy Husbands
- What Really Happens After the Kids Go to BedLet's talk about sex - realistic sex.
A great piece on The Huffington Post talks truthfully about the love life of a husband and wife with kids. In "I Didn't Have Sex for a Year, and I'm Still Married," Natalie Singer-Velush takes to task articles like the one The New York Times Magazine ran earlier this month that claimed egalitarian couples have weak sex lives. As her title states, she and her husband took a year off from sex, and today they're still happily married and very much in love, despite what many might expect:
"If you don't have sex for a year - a year! - your marriage must be failing. Both wife and husband must be deeply unhappy, the union not long for this world. Might as well dial up the divorce lawyers or sex therapists right now. If you don't have sex for a year, the woman must be a certain kind of evil, frigid monster and the guy must be one foot out the door."Read More »from What Really Happens After the Kids Go to Bed
- Weekly Love Horoscope
Fly free, lovers! Your romantic nature will become more detached this week. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it certainly doesn't mean you won't care about romantic matters anymore.
This shift is actually a reflection of love planet Venus moving into broadminded, individualistic Aquarius on Wednesday. Until April 5, you will have an ability to love others while still maintaining a sense of self and separateness. Also, what will become paramount in matters of the heart now more than ever is friendship. Without a true camaraderie, sparks simply won't fly.
If you're single, this could be a game-changing week for you when it comes to romance potential. On Wednesday Venus in Aquarius will move into your social networking sector which could jump-start an opportunity for you to meetRead More »from Love Alert! Freedom Rules Romance Now
- Babble.com | Parenting – Mon, Mar 3, 2014 5:02 PM ESTYour Daily Dose of Cute: Disney Cast Members Take Lost Teddy Bear on AdventureAre you prepared to have your heart seriously warmed? I hope so.
While visiting Walt Disney World, 12-year-old Brooklyn Andrew lost her beloved Toby, a talking teddy bear that she had possessed since she was 3 years old. It had been a gift from her father, who at the time was heading to Iraq as part of the United States National Guard. Before he left, he gave each of his three children a teddy bear that had a recording of his voice saying, "Courtney, Brooklyn and Jessy, I love you all." When Brooklyn was 6 years old, her father passed away, and Toby the teddy bear became that much more significant in her life.
When Brooklyn and her family returned home from their most recent visit to Walt Disney World, they realized that Toby wasn't with them. Brooklyn's mom, Marsha, called the resort, but he hadn't found his way to lost and found. Marsha then turned to social media, and the story of Toby the missing bear spread.
The managerRead More »from Your Daily Dose of Cute: Disney Cast Members Take Lost Teddy Bear on Adventure
- TheBump.com | Parenting – Mon, Mar 3, 2014 4:58 PM EST
Heard of Moms for Moms Day yet? Not so long ago, The Bump and CTWorkingMoms.com got together for a photo shoot where moms and moms-to-be shared their biggest Mommy Truths in a safe, friendly space. We - along with the team from CT Working Moms - created the day because we want every woman to feel comfortable, confident and proud of her choices as a mother (and mama-to-be). We were so inspired by the CT Working Moms Campaign for Judgment-Free Motherhood shoot that we wanted to expand the message by encouraging moms everywhere to stand up and support one another.
More from The Bump: How to stop the mommy wars
The journey to motherhood is flooded with decisions (from the type of diapers you'll buy to the ways you'll feed your infant and the sleep-training methods you'll subscribe to) and our goal is to support, encourage and stand behind each and every mother's choices - and Moms for Moms Day is our way of putting an end to the judgments that moms makeRead More »from Moms for Moms Day Is March 4! Join in the Fight to End the Mommy Wars
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST