- They're nourishing yet lightweight, can go on wet or dry hair, and create instant luster. We tested dozens--in the tropics! in the cold! on curls! on thin strands!--to find your perfect match. By Marissa Oliva, REDBOOK.
After spotting this retro pic of Catherine Deneuve recently, one thing stood out: the actress’s striking topknot, of course. It looked just perfect … and perfectly complicated to pull off. But we were able to recreate the beauty-shop fresh bun in a matter of minutes in the office bathroom. Want to give it a try yourself? Here are six simple steps to sweeping your hair into a beyond-basic bun that won't fall apart on you. Promise.
1. You need lots of lift at the roots right away: Wash hair, spray roots with plenty of volumizer, flip your hair upside down, and blow dry straight with a round boar bristle brush. (It’s the best kind for achieving that full-and-soft texture you want.)
2. Now give your hair a bit of grip: Once hair is completely dry, flip your head up and mist it all over with a really light aerosol hairspray. This will help keep your hair in place when it's up in that loose-looking knot.
3. Using a fine-tooth comb, back-comb hair all over, focusing at the front and crown. DoRead More »from Six Simple Steps to a Sexy, Sophisticated Bun
- Lucky Magazine | Beauty – Fri, Feb 21, 2014 3:53 PM EST
by Christa Lee
With the Oscars right around the corner, we plan to spend this weekend not only catching up on the nominated movies we haven't seen yet, but also drafting up our must-watch list for films that are coming out later this spring-like the upcoming big-screen adaptation of Divergent (starring Kate Winslet, Shailene Woodley and Ashley Judd to name a few!). In case you're unfamiliar with the plot, Divergent is set in a future world where people are divided into distinct groups, called "factions," based on their personalities. Shailene plays the main character, Tris Prior, who is "divergent" and will never fit into any single faction. And while the Divergent world is super-selective, Sephora's brand-new collection based on the movie has makeup and nail polishes that are a great fit for everyone.
The limited-edition products are packaged with imagery from the film, and each set has its own unique tie to the movie. For instance, the Multi-Piece Collector's Kit includes "get theRead More »from Divergent X Sephora: The Movie and Makeup Collaboration You've Been Waiting For
- OKMagazine | Beauty – Fri, Feb 21, 2014 2:46 PM EST
Think you're doing everything right while styling your hair but not getting the maximum results? Herbal Essences Celebrity Stylist Charles Baker Strahan breaks down the post-shower styling rituals we all should be doing, so we can stop sabotaging and start getting gorgeous.
• Get Out of the Bathroom.
"Most women try to blow out their hair in a hot, steamy, humid bathroom right after they get out of the shower. Take a little time and wait until the bathroom cools off or move into a more open space to blow dry. Also, don't wear a big heavy robe-it's not good to break a sweat while you're trying to achieve a sleek blowout! And if you've just worked out, rinse off with cold water before you get out of the shower-this will also help cool your body down so you don't start sweating again when you break out the blow dryer."
• Stop Tugging on Wet Hair.Read More »from 6 Ways to Stop Sabotaging Your Hair Styling Routine from Celeb Stylist Charles Baker Strahan
"Dry hair almost 90% before you start styling your hair to reshape it-whether you air dry it or knock out more moisture with
- ThinkStock/The KnotBy: Heather Hall of TheKnot.com
Want to get in shape before your wedding day? There's an app for that.
How it works: This calorie-counter app is the ultimate food diary. Right when you sign up you'll be prompted to set a goal for yourself, regardless of whether you're trying to lose or maintain your weight for that gorgeous wedding dress you'll be wearing in a few months.
Why we love it: You can actually scan the bar code of your packaged foods or search meals in a massive restaurant database when you and your fiancé go out for date night. If you're preparing your own dishes at home, you'll have to enter all the information manually, but hey-it's worth the time, and you two can do it together!
More from The Knot: What Your Wedding Dress Says About You
2. Nike Training ClubRead More »from 10 Fitness Apps to Get You Wedding-Ready
How it works: Choose your workout based on a specific part of the body you want to work on, like your arms or mid-section, and it'll select a training
- Babble.com | Beauty – Fri, Feb 21, 2014 1:33 PM ESTBearded Lady Harnaam Kaur is a 23-year-old woman living in England. Like many women (between 10% and 20% of those childbearing-aged), Kaur suffers from PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), which has been known to cause excessive hair growth in some patients. In Harnaam's case, her PCOS meant that with puberty came an unexpected development … she began to grow a beard.
After years of attempting to hide her facial hair and enduring name-calling and bullying despite her efforts, even to the point where she contemplated taking her own life, Harnaam decided to live as she is, beard and all, and she says she has never felt more feminine. With unwavering confidence, Kaur told Barcroft TV:
"This is me, this is who I am, it's my inner beauty, it's my outer beauty, it's my oneness, it's my wholeness, I'm different, and I've learned to accept it, fully."
Watching Harnaam speak (and I whole-heartedly recommend you take a moment to watch the video below), it is obvious that she is absolutely at ease withRead More »from 23-Year-Old “Bearded Woman” Embraces Her Beauty -- What We Can Learn from Her
- Lucky Magazine | Beauty – Fri, Feb 21, 2014 1:31 PM EST
by Maura Brannigan
After watching Jennifer Lawrence lovably goof off on the red carpet all awards season long, it's surprisingly refreshing to see J-Law looking soft and graceful. With one week to go before the Oscars, Dior revealed the 23-year-old's third Miss Dior campaign today-and it's much in the vein of J-Law's previous Dior ads, with the award-winning actress looking gorgeously gentle (if straight-faced) throughout. The shots, lensed by Patrick Demarchelier, feature windswept hair and minimal, nude makeup that contrasts the boyish looks plucked from the French fashion house's Spring 2014 collection.
According to WWD, Dior will be releasing a behind-the-scenes video on Wednesday in which Jennifer discussing the process of selecting her couture dress for the upcoming Oscars-very exciting stuff. "Now I get the haute couture thing," she reportedly says. "It's a big deal."
Click through the slideshow above now to see the incredibly beautiful photos.
More from Lucky:Read More »from PHOTOS: Jennifer Lawrence's Third, Totally Dreamy Miss Dior Campaign is Here!
- Daily Makeover | Beauty – Fri, Feb 21, 2014 1:03 PM EST
By Megan Segura, Daily Makeover
Molly SimsMolly Sims has served as hair inspiration for her long blonde waves for quite some time, but the model/actress recently changed things up by going red.
"I wanted to do something really different. I just didn't want to cut it. It was either cut it or color. I wanted to cut it, but I didn't want to do what everyone else is doing." And what everyone else is doing is getting a pixie.
When it came to celebrity inspiration for the look, Molly said, "I think Amy Adams was our top [choice for inspiration]. She tends to go from darker to lighter reds. I love Julianne Moore's, but she's a little bit deeper, which I might experiment with. But I'm really happy. I love the highlights coming through."
The makeover was, in part, designed to help spread the word about Nexxus' new Color Assure line. One of the coolest products in the line is designed to beRead More »from Molly Sims Goes Red (and Reveals the Celeb Inspiration Behind Her New Look)
- Find your winning style in these gold, silver and bronze products.
by Rachel Jacoby Zoldan
Unless you're living under a rock, you're probably up to speed with the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi. And as each day passes, one thing has become clear to us (beyond the fact that we'll never nail the halfpipe like Kaitlyn Farrington) -- we want an Olympic medal. But since we can't perform triple lutz-triple toe loop combinations on the ice, we'll have to settle for different kinds of metallics: makeup, skin and hair goodies!
There are a ton of gold, silver and bronze beauty products available -- and they're not just for nighttime anymore. Wanna look better naked? Try softening up with one of these shimmering body oils: They're great at hiding your skin imperfections. Sculpt a thinner face with a matte bronzer or use the powers of 24K gold leaf to keep your lips smooth.
So what are you waiting for? Go get some Olympic beauty-ware of your own!
More from SELF:Read More »from Gold, Silver and Bronze Beauty Picks
The 24-Minute At-Home Boot
By Natasha Burton, Daily Makeover
Scarlett JohanssonWhile many of us covet full lips like, say, Scarlett Johansson's, it's just not in the cards (unless we turn to fillers). Instead of going down the injection route, try these tips to help you fake bigger lips.
To give your lips a quick plump, use a damp toothbrush or dry washcloth to slough off dead skin and cells. This will boost your kisser temporarily and make your lips softer, too.
2. Line Right
Makeup artist Sonia Kashuk, founder of Sonia Kashuk Beauty, suggests using liner to create the look of bigger lips. "Line lips with a color as close to your lipstick shade as possible to create the desired lip shape," she says. "You can slightly overdraw for a fuller pout, just be sure to fill in the rest of the lips with the liner."
3. Find Your ColorRead More »from How to Fake Fuller Lips
Stick with shades close in tone to your natural lips, Kashuk
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST