Angelina Jolie’s. At least that’s the word from a dubious online survey that asked both sexes to pick and choose among the facial features of celebs to discern, in a high-school yearbook–reminiscent effort, who is “most beautiful.”
More on Shine: What's the Perfect Age? If You're a Woman, It's 53
“Would Mila Kunis’s seductive eyes, Megan Fox’s button nose and Angelina’s plump pout form the perfect visage?” British beauty retailer Escentual.com posited to its blog readers earlier this year. “Let us know whose facial features you think are the best. We’ll take your results and construct the perfect female face, according to you!”
More on Yahoo: Paltrow Named People's Most Beautiful Woman
The just-released results are less than illuminating, with the male-idealized creation a creepy, dead-eyed combo of Kate Middleton, Jennifer Aniston, Mila Kunis, Miranda Kerr, Angelina Jolie, and Megan Fox — with blond hair (courtesy of
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Beauty – Wed, Dec 11, 2013 4:48 PM EST
Angelina Jolie’s. At least that’s the word from a dubious online survey that asked both sexes to pick and choose among the facial features of celebs to discern, in a high-school yearbook–reminiscent effort, who is “most beautiful.”Women love Scarlett Johansson’s lips while men are sticking with Read More »from 'Perfect Woman' Image Is a Freakish Mashup Fantasy
- Babble.com | Beauty – Wed, Dec 11, 2013 3:51 PM ESTPile the turkey high with a side of smokey cranberry… on your eyes! Pairing rich cranberry, sultry chocolate, and glimmering copper shadows make this a stunning festive look this holiday season! Whether you're headed to a cocktail party, company dinner, or even for a jolly night spent with family and friends, this cranberry smokey eye is perfect for any holiday occasion! Follow along as I show you step by step instructions to get holiday ready in minutes! -By Missy Read More »from Feisty and Festive! Get Holiday Party-Ready with Cranberry Smokey Eyes
By Anne Fritz
Whether you come by your white smile naturally or with some help from teeth bleaching products, the easiest way to keep them that way is to avoid teeth-staining foods. Dr. Jeffrey Rappaport of Lavaan Dental Spa in New York tells us some of the most common Latin ones.
A good rule of thumb: if a food could stain a white shirt, it will stain your teeth. Blame the tannins in red wine. Opt for white sangria instead - it's just as amazing.
If you can't stand to go without you daily dose, make sure it's heavy on the milk and rinse your mouth afterward.
Colas, even diet ones, can make your smile dingy. Seltzer and clear liquors will preserve your pearly whites.
Tomatoes are high on the list of teeth-staining foods. If you can't pass up the chips and salsa, take a swig of water when you're done and swirl it around your mouth.
Sure it has anti-oxidants, but the fruit will stain your smile.
- Teen Vogue | Beauty – Wed, Dec 11, 2013 3:01 PM EST
by Eden Univer
Almost everyone can create pretty straight strands (thank you, flat irons), but we all know it's much harder to walk out of your bathroom with the same kind of soft, voluminous blowout that your flaunt proudly when you walk out of the salon. And while we can't all go to beauty school to learn how to perfect our form and technique, we can up our product game-it makes a big difference! These five must-haves will get you 10 times closer to the professional look-and save you a whole lot of trips to your hair stylist.
Read on for our list of tools you need now!
More from Teen Vogue:
The Best Dressed College Students Across the Country
Star Power! We Look to Hollywood for Fall Hair Color Inspiration
Pretty Please! Fall's 100 Cutest Dresses
10 Quick Ways to Pump Up Your Ponytail
Read More »from Everything You Need to Fake a Salon Blowout at Home
Time Inc. Digital Studio; Getty Images for BoohooYou can rent a couture dress or a designer bag, but would you rent hair extensions? The Nelson J Salon in Beverly Hills recently rolled out a hair extension rental program, which allows users to borrow clip-in pieces for seven days, priced at $75. For each purchase, a stylist will apply the extensions and blow out your strands, then you'll be sent home with a self-addressed stamped envelope to mail the pieces back after your seven days are up. "Spending around $250 to wear extensions for one evening is challenging for many budgets, so I thought a rental service would be a great option," said the salon's founder Nelson Chan. "It also allows someone to try more than one look during the course of a few months." While Julianne Hough recently opted for more-permanent versions from the Nine Zero One salon, it's nice to know we can get a look similar to hers without as long of a commitment-we're definitely intrigued! We want to know: Would you try out the service?
Read More »from Poll: Would You Rent Hair Extensions?
By Aly Walansky, Beauty High
women applying makeupWhen you're in a jam with makeup, skin, hair or any other beauty problem, you need a solution - and fast. Learning genius beauty hacks has become a bit of a hobby for us, and we've collected our favorites below to help you the next time you're in need of a quick beauty fix!
Related Article: What Makeup to Wear to Every Type of Holiday Party
1. In a pinch, consider hand sanitizer to combat a shiny face. "The ingredient they have in common that works for this trick is dimethicone, a type of silicone. It smooths like a primer and provides a protective coat locking in moisture which creates the shine," says Shelley GoodStein, an author and model. You can use this along the hair line, your forehead, T-zone or if you have glistening cleavage.
Related Article: How to Curl Your Hair With a Flat IronRead More »from 10 Brilliant Beauty Tricks to Try Immediately
2. "My favorite fast beauty hack for the wintertime is using Chapstick to soothe a dry nose!" says Liz Mitchell of The Neon Blonde. Just like it works
- Daily Makeover | Beauty – Tue, Dec 10, 2013 5:33 PM EST
By Aly Walansky, Daily Makeover
makeupWe're busy. Time flies, weeks go by, and before we know it, that half-used foundation is now months old. Is it still safe to use? Just as we wouldn't advise drinking spoiled milk-gross!-there's lots that can go wrong when your makeup ages: breakouts, skin irritations, infections and worse.
Related Article: Make Over Your Makeup Bag: What To Keep Vs. Toss
Expired makeup can cause breakouts and infections like pink eye, acne, and worse. This is especially true with mascara, liners and foundations. "When a product expires this means that the preservatives have stopped being as effective as they once were or have stopped working altogether. This can lead to infections," says Dr. Gary Goldfaden.
Related Article: Your Guide To The Best Beauty Subscription Boxes
AllergiesRead More »from Expired Makeup Isn’t Just Gross — It’s Destroying Your Skin
If your makeup is old enough to have expired, it's likely already accumulated tons of germs and bacteria, which then can get passed onto your eyes and skin. Just
- Elise Solé, Shine Staff | Beauty – Tue, Dec 10, 2013 4:50 PM EST
Who needs makeup when you can airbrush your photos?
That's the question photography major Anna Hill, a senior at East Carolina University, is asking with her new photo series, "Beauty Is Only Pixel Deep," self-portraits that mock the beauty industry's overuse of airbrushing applications that many magazines and other media use to retouch images. "I taught myself Photoshop when I was 14, and ever since, my eye is trained to see exactly where models have been altered," Hill tells Yahoo Shine.
The 24-year-old, who created the work as part of a class project, uploaded the series to Reddit on Monday night and says the response has been overwhelming. "I think people like to be reminded that the beautiful models we're surrounded by daily aren't actually as real as they seem - without extensive makeup and editing, many don't look that much better than the rest of us," says Hill.
Below, Hill explains the inspiration behind each photo:
"I was researching beauty advertisements from the 1950s andRead More »from Photographer Examines Our Obsession With Beauty, Airbrushing
Why is a man the boss while a woman is still called “bossy”? That’s just one of the eternal gender-stereotype questions tackled in an overseas Pantene ad that’s quickly gone viral on YouTube — with a little help from Sheryl Sandberg.
More on Yahoo Shine: Dove Hires FBI to Teach Women They're Beautiful
“This is one of the most powerful videos I have ever seen illustrating how when women and men do the same things, they are seen in completely different ways,” the influential Facebook COO wrote on her Facebook page over the weekend, garnering more than 2,700 likes and 1,200 shares. “Really worth watching. Lean In prize of the day for sure!”
More on Yahoo: BlackBerry Ad Campaign Seeks to Reassure Customers
The 62-second spot, created by the BBDO agency and aired only in the Philippines, has racked up more than 2.9 million views on YouTube since being posted a month ago. With a cover of Tears for Fears' “Mad World” playing in the background that’s haunting, the images are even more so: Read More »from Why Pantene's New Ad Has Millions Talking
by Christa LeeRead More »from Four Easy Ways to Remove Glitter Nail Polish
It's that time of the year when all things sparkly are totally appropriate-including your nails. But unless you have a lot of time to kill, scrubbing away with a single cotton ball isn't going to cut it when it comes to glitter. Here are four ways to take off your glitter manicure without wrecking your nails!
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST