Avoiding the Freshman 15Along with chatter about class schedules, the campus bookstore, and your dorm roommate, you've probably heard the expression Freshmen 15 as you prepare for your first year away at college.
Just what exactly is the Freshmen 15? Is it 15 new friends? Or is it 15 college credits that are required each semester? Or perhaps 15 different brews on tap at the college bar? Proverbially, this old adage refers to the 15 pounds of weight gained during a typical freshman's first semester at college.
RELATED: 25 Ways to Improve Your Health
But is this true for all freshmen entering college? According to Laura Cipullo, a registered dietician who runs her own private practice out of New York City, unfortunately it is. Cipullo tells us that recent research findings confirm the Freshmen 15 theory, and tell us that a small but significant amount of weight gain occurs during the first year of college. It's not necessarily 15 pounds in most cases, but sometimes as much as 5 pounds.
RELATED: The Best
Avoiding the Freshman 15Along with chatter about class schedules, the campus bookstore, and your dorm roommate, you've probably heard the expression Freshmen 15 as you prepare for your first year away at college.Read More »from What is the Freshmen 15 and How Do You Avoid It?
Do you have a can of chickpeas in your pantry? We bet you do! And today's recipe uses chickpeas to make really quick and flavorful fritters. To make them, just add your chickpeas to a food processor with scallions and cilantro, before lightly frying them on your stovetop. This light meal also happens to be completely vegetarian. Try it out for dinner tonight!
1 can (15.5 ounces) rinsed and drained chickpeas
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup flour
1 large egg
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Salad and lemon wedges, for serving
1. In a food processor, pulse together chickpeas, scallions, and cilantro until a coarse paste forms. Pulse in flour, egg, and salt. Heat 1/4 inch olive oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add chickpea mixture to skillet, 1/4 cup at a time, pressing to form patties. CookRead More »from You Need to Make These Chickpea Fritters Tonight!
The richest, deepest, darkest chocolate cake, ready in under an hour.
If Betty Crocker had a sophisticated, seductive cousin, this would be her signature cake. The secret to it's moist and tender texture is the use of butter instead of oil, and a fair amount of coffee for depth. Perhaps the very best part of this recipe is that it can be thrown together in 15 minutes tops -- plus another 45 minutes for baking means from start to finish you'll be in chocolate cake bliss in under an hour.
Chocolate Bundt Cake
2 cups sugarRead More »from The Ultimate Chocolate Bundt Cake
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup sour milk
1 cup freshly brewed strong black coffee
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter a bundt pan and dust the inside
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Mon, Sep 16, 2013 2:16 PM EDT
The perfect snack for Mexican Independence Day!This black bean and corn salsa recipe is a great accompaniment to carnitas, tacos, or tortilla chips. Feel free to increase or decrease the spiciness to taste. This is perfect for celebrations including football parties!Read More »from Delicioso! Celebrate Mexican Independence Day with Black Bean and Corn Salsa
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn kernels - frozen, canned or fresh cooked
1/2 cup finely diced ripe tomato
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
Related: Ditch the drive-thru! 21 zesty Mexican recipes to impress your abuela
1. In a mixing bowl, toss together all the ingredients. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
2. Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes or refrigerated for at least one hour before serving.
- By Lucy Schaeffer
For crispy tenders, Buffalo bites, and 25 other light-and-easy chicken dinners,
Central Perk: #1 Coffee Hangout on TVCoffee drinkers are very aware of the special relationship they have to their brew. It is more than just a drink that wakes them up - it is an emotional drink. Whenever a friend invites you over for coffee, there's usually something else behind it. It means there is something cooking, something someone needs to share with you. Granted it could just be catching up with an old friend, but it could also be the start of a business, or even the reveal of some big news.Read More »from What is the #1 Coffee Shop on TV?
RELATED: 10 Funniest 'Saturday Night Live' Skits All About Food
When our favorite TV show characters go out for a cup of joe, we know there is more brewing than just the beans. As the plot thickens or takes an emotional turn, our favorite show knows it is time to roast some grounds and lay on the feelings. Whether these TV coffee shops are quaint spots or in the middle of a big city, sometimes the place looks so comforting we wish we could go there for real!
RELATED: Favorite TV Hangout Spots: Bars
We asked readers to take
We love seeing what makes a wedding cake really tick!Some couples just get how their loved one ticks. For those that who appreciate the finer inner workings of a relationship (and those who are into sci-fi) Austin Cake Ball gives you their steampunk cake. This stylized cake was inspired by the sub- genre of science fiction that features steam- powered machinery for a very industrial feel.Read More »from Like Clockwork: An Amazing Steampunk Wedding Cake
RELATED: 10 More Unusual Wedding Cakes
Their use of metallic colors and tiny cogs are perfectly accentuated by the delicate, themed butterflies that make up this gorgeous cake ball wedding cake.
RELATED: 12 Cakes for Football Fanatics
For this and other amazing wedding cake ideas, check out the link below.
From fairy-tale castle cakes to themed movie cakes, there's a cake for everyone.
-Lauren Gordon, The Daily Meal
More from The Daily Meal:
11 Fabulous Wedding Cakes
10 Wild Animal Cakes
10 Nerdy Wedding Cakes
Steak with Mushroom GnocchiThrow some rib-eye steaks on the grill for a speedy and satisfying supper. You can also toss the mushrooms with cooked baby red potato quarters, instead of gnocchi.Read More »from Quick-Fix Supper: Steak with Mushroom Gnocchi
Steak with Mushroom Gnocchi
2 (1-inch-thick) rib-eye steaks (about 2 lb.)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons country-style Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, parsley, or chives
See More: Quick-Fixes from the Grill
1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Rub steaks with salt and pepper; let stand 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, stir together butter, mustard, and tarragon.
3. Grill steaks, covered with grill lid, 8 to 10 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill, and spread with tarragon butter. Serve with Mushroom Gnocchi.
30-Minute Quick-Fix Suppers
Our Favorite Fried Chicken Recipes
101 Crisp and Juicy Apple Recipes
- Babble.com | Shine Food – Mon, Sep 16, 2013 12:12 PM EDT
I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, a lot of time. We cook almost every meal, every day. That's 21 meals a week and a lot of hours spent cooking together and alone. It's high time I bring in some humor. Something to make us us laugh and feel like those hours are mere minutes. I'm kind of a big kid at heart and a big fan of making light of our serious cooking adventures. Not to mention I love any gadget that's going to get the kids excited about helping and trying to cook something new. Check out all the ways I'm bringing silly back into the kitchen. - By Macki West
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from Stir Crazy: 7 Silly Kitchen Gadgets to Make Cooking More Fun
- Babble.com | Shine Food – Mon, Sep 16, 2013 11:53 AM EDT
We love to grill, and fire it up pretty often. Mostly we cook boring chicken, but with Jafta's rapid ascent (descent?) into foodie obsession, we're always up for trying something new. So I did my homework-this is an excellent grilling book, and so is this one - and it turns out meat is not the only thing that does well on the grill. Anyone up for grilled fruit? Veggies? Dessert? Check out the gallery below for some of the things we may try later this fall. (We live in SoCal. Grilling season is year-round. Booyah.) - By Kristen Howerton
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from Barbe-cool! 7 Unexpected Foods You Can Throw on the Grill
- Woman s Day | Shine Food – Mon, Sep 16, 2013 11:43 AM EDT
The Hearty Egg Dish You Can Eat for Breakfast, Lunch and DinnerBy the Casserole QueensRead More »from The Hearty Egg Dish You Can Eat for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Packed with protein, this savory, oven-baked tortilla makes a healthy and satisfying meal when paired with a side of greens. And any time of day is a good time for this traditional Spanish dish. Photo by Steve Giralt.
Related: Find 6 stomach-friendly foods.
Cost Per Serving: $0.78
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
Related: Discover 8 calming foods that ease stress.
Total Fat 20g
Saturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 32g
Dietary Fiber 1g
• 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil, plus more for the dish
• 1 pound(s) Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• Kosher salt
• 4 scallions
• 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
• 2 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon(s) (or up to 3 teaspoons) crushed red pepper flakes
• 10 large eggs
• 1 cup(s) sour cream
• 6 ounce(s) extra-sharp Cheddar,
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST