The sharp taste of gorgonzola is mellowed nicely by the cream sauce in this hearty comfort food recipe.Now here's a cookbook we're on board with. Keepers, penned by two accomplished home cooks and former food editors, is full of recipes that even the most kitchen-challenged can pull off any old night of the week. Sit down, get comfy and let the pros take you on a tour of tonight's super-easy dinner recipe. Make this ham-spiked creamy blue cheese pasta tonight. You know you want to.
Related: Orecchiette With Homemade Fennel Sausage And Swiss Chard Recipe
If you've had a rough week, something a little decadent for dinner can be a mood-changer. But while this dish is unquestionably luxurious, it is actually one of the simplest pasta preparations we know. If you're not a blue cheese person, rest assured the flavor of the gorgonzola mellows once it's combined with the cream. And if you're serving vegetarians, you can offer the ham on the side for anyone who wants it.
Reprinted with permission from Keepers
1 pound farfalle or orecchiette
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 pound gorgonzola
The sharp taste of gorgonzola is mellowed nicely by the cream sauce in this hearty comfort food recipe.Now here's a cookbook we're on board with. Keepers, penned by two accomplished home cooks and former food editors, is full of recipes that even the most kitchen-challenged can pull off any old night of the week. Sit down, get comfy and let the pros take you on a tour of tonight's super-easy dinner recipe. Make this ham-spiked creamy blue cheese pasta tonight. You know you want to.Read More »from Farfalle with Gorgonzola, Ham and Peas Recipe
- Everyday Food | Shine Food – Wed, Sep 4, 2013 10:05 AM EDT
How many calories are in that ice cream? How much sodium is in the juice? Nutrition labels have answered many of our questions but not quite all, especially in the one section of the supermarket where we need it the most.
When you walk down the aisle and press your hands onto the cold glass windows, you're on your own. Fortunately, not any more! For the wallet and health conscious, we've compiled the best cuts of meat to stretch into a pleasing meal.
To achieve medium rare results (125 degrees before resting), grill meat quickly on high heat (you'll see the times below!). Before slicing, make sure to let the cuts rest (typically for 10 minutes, although thicker cuts may need longer and vice versa for smaller pieces). Last but not least, pair the cuts with a spicy butter (check out this recipe for a spicy, savory sriracha butter) or salsa for added flavor! And remember, for 4 people, one pound of meat should do.Read More »from 4 Killer Steaks to Raise the Stakes on Your Next BBQ
- DuJour | Shine Food – Tue, Sep 3, 2013 5:00 PM EDT
Chefs Geoffrey Zakarian and Marc Murphy on fancier, kid-friendly school lunch alternativesHealthy and creative lunches for kids
Your kid is sporting the "it" backpack and must-have sneakers this back-to-school season, but when it comes to the lunch they're bringing to school… you know they deserve better. Lackluster turkey wraps and uninspiring PB&J sandwiches just aren't cutting it anymore, so we asked two A-list chefs: What do your kids bring to school for lunch, and what did you eat growing up? Here's what Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian (The Lambs Club) and Chef Marc Murphy (Landmarc, Ditch Plains) had to say.
Asian Lunch Box
"I think it is fun to put an Asian twist on the lunch box. Purchase some seaweed salad and cucumber rolls from a local sushi restaurant. Include sesame crackers and an Asian pear. Another side salad option: toss edamame with grated carrots, chopped scallions, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper."
Mezze PlatterRead More »from What's for Lunch? Chef-Approved Healthy Ideas for Kids, Just in Time for Back to School
"I love to do a riff on a Mezze Platter for
- Martha Stewart | Shine Food – Tue, Sep 3, 2013 3:54 PM EDT
Coconut Cloud Cake
FOR THE CAKE
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
14 large egg whites (1 3/4 cups), room temperature
1 tablespoon warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
FOR THE SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING
3 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
5 tablespoons cold water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE TOPPING
3 to 4 cups flaked coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. With a fine sieve, sift together flour and 3/4 cups sugar four times.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed, beat together egg whites and water until foamy. Add salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.Read More »from This Light and Fluffy Dessert is Heaven on a Plate
Today: How to make fancy balsamic vinegar from the cheap stuff (and a bit of honey).
Save your pricey fine balsamic vinegar for another day. Here is a grand and recession-proof sauce for strawberries and ice cream that wants only ordinary grocery store balsamic and a little honey.
Adapted from Sinfully Easy Delicious Desserts by Alice Medrich (Artisan, 2012)
2 parts inexpensive balsamic vinegar
1 part honey
1. Simmer two parts inexpensive balsamic vinegar with one part honey until the mixture is thickened and reduced by about half. Let cool. Taste a little sauce with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream and adjust the balance of sweet with tart to your liking (I like to keep it a little tart) by adding a bit of extra honey if necessary.
2. Serve a drizzle of sauce -- it doesn't take much -- over strawberries and vanillaRead More »from A Trick for Faking Fancy Balsamic
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Tue, Sep 3, 2013 2:35 PM EDT
Use the rest of your summer avocados for this recipe! If you're a fan of Cheesecake Factory's Avocado Egg Rolls, then you will absolutely love these! This recipe is quick, easy and tastes exactly like the ones you'd order in the restaurant. This is a perfect dish for potlucks, appetizers or even an entire meal. It's also great finger food during football season!
Egg roll wraps
3 ripe avocados
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon cilantro
1. In a large bowl combine avocado, tomatoes, onion, pine nuts and cilantro.
2. Lay egg roll wrappers out on a flat surface and place about 2 spoonfuls of the avocado mixture in the center of each wrap.
3. Fold the top and bottom edges of the egg roll up and roll the sides in, to secure the wrap around the mixture.
4. Lightly brush a beaten egg around the folds and edges of the egg roll.
5. Deep-fry each eggRead More »from Potluck Perfection: Make Copycat Cheesecake Factory Avocado Egg Rolls!
Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year (which begins this year at sundown on Wednesday, September 4), is a time to reflect on the past and to look toward the future, and honey has long played a significant role in the holiday, symbolizing the hope for a sweet year ahead. While challah and apples are dipped in the sweet nectar, honey is also often baked into a rich, delicious cake. For this year's celebration, we've updated the classic cake, giving it a modern spin.
It's a perfect ending for a Rosh Hashanah dinner or any special occasion. "This is a cake worth making no matter what religion or belief system you follow," insists Kemp Minifie, resident recipe guru at Gourmet Live and former executive food editor of Gourmet magazine. For Minifie's contemporary take on classic Honey Cake, see the recipe included here. And for more advice from Minifie, see her shopping and prep tips below.
Find Your Honey: "There's so much choice out there in terms of honey," says Minifie. She found Read More »from Heavenly Honey Cake for Rosh Hashanah
- The Daily Meal | Shine Food – Tue, Sep 3, 2013 12:27 PM EDT
Are you team Starbucks or team Dunkin' Donuts?Are you on team Dunkin' or team Starbucks? Your answer could be a result of many factors, but a new observation says your preference has a lot to do with geographic location.Read More »from Starbucks Vs. Dunkin' Donuts: America’s Coffee Chain Battle
RELATED: 10 Signs Your Starbucks Crush Is Actually in Love with You
The Boston Globe recently created a map of the U.S. locations of Starbucks (11,000 locations) and Dunkin Donuts (7,200 locations). The paper then asked several business analysts to figure out what these mappings say about the country's coffee consumption habits, and the companies themselves.
RELATED: America's Best Coffee Shops
David Tarantino, from Robert W. Baird & Co., Chris Christopher, from HIS Global Insights, and Darren Tritano, from Technomic Inc. all had different opinions about the expansion patterns of the companies, geographic locations of the stores, and demographics of the areas in which they exist.
RELATED: The Best Coffee Shops Near 50 College Campuses
The companies prevail on their respective coasts where they were founded.
- Babble.com | Shine Food – Tue, Sep 3, 2013 12:17 PM EDT
Still using your ice cube tray…to make ice cubes? That's sooo yesterday. Today there are so many great ideas for putting your ice cube trays to crazy and cool uses, that you definitely shouldn't just stop at water, or even popciles! From storing leftover sauce and baby food to garbage disposal fresheners and ice-flower gifts, these outside-the-box ideas put your freezer into overdrive. Your kids will love these crazy ideas - and your grocery bill and garbage can will too! Click through for 7 inventive ways to use your ice cube trays! -By Sheri Silver
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from Cool Ideas! 7 Inventive Ways to Use Your Ice Cube Trays
- Babble.com | Shine Food – Tue, Sep 3, 2013 11:51 AM EDT
I'm always trying to nudge my children into eating just a bit more healthfully than they might naturally like to. Of course, with kids, it's not as easy as plopping down a kale salad or flax cereal. But, when it comes to introducing healthy ingredients and giving their favorite foods a boost, I do have a few tricks up my sleeve. I love making muffins, and they love eating them, so a wholesome muffin recipe is often the perfect way to get them eating a little more fiber, protein, fruit, or vegetables. I love to add a wholesome muffin to their lunch boxes -- they see it as a special treat and I know their getting their nutrients. Click through for 7 wholesome muffin recipes perfect for school lunches! -By Brooklyn SupperRead More »from Bake to School! 7 Wholesome Muffin Recipes Perfect for Kids Lunches
MORE ON BABBLE
The 25 healthiest foods for under $1
24 sinfully sweet dessert recipes in a jar
20 delicious salads hearty enough for dinner
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST