- Allure Magazine | Summer Beauty | Tue, May 15, 2012 11:37 AM EDT | Comments
Forty percent of the population has a genetic predisposition to keratosis pilaris (KP), the gritty red bumps often found on upper arms and thighs. The condition is so common at dermatologist Doris Day's New York City office that she's developed a surefire course of treatment to keep KP on the DL.
See more: Find the Best Haircut for Your Face Shape
It's controllable, but not curable. When the skin's keratin proteins form hard plugs at the hair follicles rather than shedding normally, KP is born. While you may eventually outgrow the condition, there's no permanent solution.
See more: The Best Beauty Products Under $9
Avoid harsh scrubs. Abrasive ones can inflame the already sandpapery bumps. Glycolic acid cleansers, such as Glytone Exfoliating Body Wash, gently dissolve the dead cells that bind the plugs.
Switch your moisturizer. An alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) cream, like AmLactin, loosens keratin buildup while it moisturizes. Most people notice...Read More »
- Allure magazine
They may take decades to appear, but according to dermatologist Susan C. Taylor, who founded the Skin of Color Center at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York City, sun spots can take just a few minutes to remove with targeted treatment....Read More »
See more: Find the Best Haircut for Your Face Shape
First, they must be diagnosed. Sun spots are flat, brown collections of melanin pigment produced by cells called melanocytes. They won't fade on their own like some freckles, and they aren't black or irregularly shaped like malignant melanomas.
They're also preventable. Sun spots have only one cause: sun exposure. A daily slathering of SPF 30 or higher on the face, chest, and backs of the hands can prevent new spots. When heading outdoors (beach day!), smooth on SPF 30+ a half hour before exposure, and be sure to reapply every two hours.
See more: The 10 Commandments of Mascara
Brightening creams take time. Prescription creams containing 4 percent h
- Realbeauty.com | Summer Beauty | Fri, Jun 22, 2012 10:50 AM EDT | Comments
Lazy girls, listen up! With easy hair products and beauty tricks, you'll be looking good all season-long with minimal effort (woo hoo!).
#1. Wear A Hat
Be stylish and smart by popping on a floppy topper before heading out to your cabana. The style feels old-school glam, but has the added nicety of covering up your ears and hairline should you forget to reapply sunscreen as often as you should.
#2. Shower Before Swimming
Even if your backyard water is calling your name (loudly), wait a sec before diving in. Step into the outdoor shower that's a fixture at most pools and get your mane wet. Thirsty, dry hair strands will soak up fresh water before being touched by chemical-filled, chlorinated liquid. Makes sense, right?
#3. Use a Primer
The silky formula feels lightweight on and only adds seconds to your routine. It gives your foundation, bronzer, and blush something to hold on to, making it stay longer. You get to reapply less frequently.
#4. Shav...Read More »
- The_stir | Summer Beauty | Mon, Jun 18, 2012 3:12 PM EDT | CommentsNow that summer is here, it's finally time for some long awaited rest & relaxation, where we can enjoy lazy days and fun in the sun. But as nice as it is to have a little down time, it can also be easy to fall into a rut as far as looking our best goes.
feet on beach
And while warmer temperatures & increasing humidity aren't exactly conducive to looking polished and put together, there are some easy beauty tricks we can weave into our routines to make sure we're just as gorgeous in the summer as we are the rest of the year.
Here are 5 tips that will help busy moms keep their beauty regimen in check.
1. Perfect summer makeup in 5 minutes -- One of the best parts of summer is not having to wear as much makeup, since we usually have a nice, healthy glow going on. As long as you have a tube of tinted moisturizer, a neutral eye shadow palette, mascara, and a pale shade of lip gloss, yo...Read More »
- Good Housekeeping | Summer Beauty | Tue, Jun 5, 2012 6:34 PM EDT | CommentsSummer, at last! You've been anticipating the fresh lemonade, family beach days, and backyard grill parties. There are a few things, though, that likely didn't make your can't-wait-to list: wrangling with a blow-dryer on sticky mornings, shaving daily, and protecting all that extra exposed skin, for starters. We can relate. So you can get to those summer pleasures that much sooner, we've fast-tracked your beauty routine with innovative products and speedy tips. Plus, the Good Housekeeping Research Institute reports on which lip stains really stay put.
Summer beauty products
1. Speedy Skin Smoothers
Sure, four weeks' daily use of a firming body lotion can help you tone up, but that's of little comfort when you're headed to the beach today. Instead of despairing, look for mica, says Los Angeles makeup artist Brett Freedman. "When light hits these mineral particles, it bounces back and scatters, making skin look smoother than it is." Commonly used in makeup, mica is now turning up in sunscreen, too-a re...Read More »