This week, Summer Shape Up paid a visit to celebrity fitness trainer Jackie Warner to discuss her new book "10 Pounds In 10 Days," which divulges her secret formula for getting her star clients red carpet-ready. The program shows you how to lose a quick 10 pounds and how to continue losing weight over 30 days if you have more weight to lose. The book also includes simple food plans and workouts to enhance fat-burning and toning.
The New York Times best-selling author says her five "intensity techniques" are key to burning calories. These exercises jump start your metabolism and help make you look and feel better overall:
1. Cardio-acceleration: a short but intense cardio burst between strength-training exercises, such as jumping rope or using an elliptical machine.
2. High-intensity interval training (HIIT): alternating bursts of high-intensity and low-intensity aerobic activity, such as alternating a three-minute jog with a one-minute sprint.
3. Supersets: sets of two different
- Angie Greenup | Summer Shape-Up – Wed, Jun 13, 2012 4:00 PM EDT
Instant oatmeal is a great breakfast option, with lots of variety options.Read More »from 10 Ways to Eat Instant Oatmeal
Quaker Instant Oatmeal was a staple in my house when I was growing up. I loved being able to pick out a fun flavor and there were so many to choose from. Now, that I'm older, I still make instant oatmeal. Though, I have come up with a few more ways to enjoy this healthy breakfast option. Here are just ten ways to eat instant oatmeal.
1. Enjoy It While Traveling
If you're on vacation and don't want to get up in time to eat breakfast in the lobby, you can always make breakfast in your hotel room. All you need to do is place your instant oatmeal packet in a coffee mug and place it under the single cup coffee maker that most hotels offer. Once the mug fills with water, stir and enjoy.
2. Cook Some Up at Work
Work is an excellent place to enjoy instant oatmeal. You don't have to hit the fast food place every morning. Instead, keep a package of instant oatmeal in your desk along with some Styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons. Cover the oatmeal with hot water from the water dispenser, stir
Eating in a bikini doesn't have to give you nightmares any more. Here, summer snacks that will leave you satisfied without packing on pounds. Plus, some surprisingly easy tips on how to shed those pounds for summer!
"Carrot sticks are the best snacks to munch on during the summer because the orange pigment beta-carotene gives skin an extra glow while protecting cells from free radical damage," says Dr. Aaron Tabor, M.D. and creator of Dr. Tabor's Slim & Beautiful Diet. "Carrots protect your skin from sun damage (though you still need to wear SPF) while giving you a boost of energy."
#2. Watermelon Woman eating watermelon
If you have a hankering for something sweet, pick a juicy fruit like watermelon, over a heavy dairy product. "The lycopene in watermelon will boost your skin with a subtle pink glow and protect its moisture level," says Tabor.
Read More: Take a look at these anti-aging skin care tips!
#3. Frozen Grapes
Not only will this icy treat boost your skin with Read More »from 8 Smart Summer Snacks for the Beach
- SHAPE magazine | Summer Shape-Up – Mon, Jun 11, 2012 10:28 AM EDT
Read More »from The Best Foods to Eat Before and After Your Workout
By Nora Tobin for SHAPE.com
What foods should I eat before or after my workout?When it comes to fitness, there are certain universal questions that experts hear almost every day: How can I get the most out of my workouts ? How can I lose weight faster, burn the most calories, and feel energized enough to power through every training session? While there are other elements that may affect your unique situation, there's one simple answer that applies to all of these questions: Eat! More specifically, eat the right foods at the right time.
Like many women, I used to think the best way to lose weight was to work out hard and wait until mealtime to eat. I now know that the key to getting and maintaining a knockout body is a combination of regular exercise and eating the right foods at the right times. Feeding your body before and after every workout is essential for burning the most calories, staying energized, building lean muscle, losing weight, and speeding up recovery.
RELATED: The Best and Worst Foods for a Bikini Body
5 Foods for Flatter AbsBy Brierley Wright, M.S., R.D., Nutrition Editor, EatingWell Magazine
It's summer--and that means your summer vacation is probably just around the corner. If you're looking to slim down before you slip into that bathing suit (and who isn't?!), you're in luck. Cutting calories and exercising are, of course, must-dos--and you can try this 7-day weight-loss meal plan to lose up to 2 pounds this week. But new research shows that some foods may have waist-shrinking properties. Here are five tummy-tamers to add to your diet--as reported by Karen Ansel, M.S., R.D., for EatingWell Magazine.
Try or Skip? The Pros and Cons of 4 Popular Celeb Diets
1. Canola Oil. Already dubbed a heart-healthy cooking oil, canola now touts another boon: when Brazilian researchers fed rats a diet containing either canola or soybean oil for two months, the soybean-oil eaters gained nearly 20 percent more fat in and around the organs of the belly (also known as visceral fat) than those that chowed on theRead More »from 5 Foods for Flatter Abs
Celebrity trainer Bob Harper is here to discuss his new book The Skinny Rules, which shares his top tips for weight loss success from years of helping clients and contestants on The Biggest Loser. The book focuses on 20 "nonnegotiable principles for getting to thin" - and we've got five of them right here!
Rule: Drink a glass of water before every meal. Often when we think we're hungry, we're actually dehydrated. Drinking a glass of water can help curb cravings and will help you feel more full before eating.
Rule: Eat a real breakfast. Skipping breakfast doesn't help you lose weight! Eating first thing in the morning kick-starts your metabolism. Focus on getting fiber, complex carbohydrates, and protein- from sources like berries, oatmeal and yogurt- to help you feel satisfied longer.
Rule: Eat protein at every meal. Protein helps you feel fuller longer- Bob's top picks include fish, chicken, and grass-fed beef.
Rule: Make one day a week meatless. Try to incorporate plant-based
- iVillage | Summer Shape-Up – Wed, Jun 6, 2012 12:21 PM EDT
Banish Blemishes, Fight Flaky Skin and 8 Other Ways to Get Gorgeous Skin This Summer! By Brenda KearnsRead More »from Banish Blemishes, Fight Flaky Skin and 8 Other Ways to Get Gorgeous Skin This Summer!
At least 62 percent of women struggle with complexion problems when the temperature soars -- these 10 clever strategies can erase your worst hot-weather complexion woes in as little as one week.
1. Heal Blemishes with Turmeric
Dab this popular East Indian spice on your pimples once daily, and you could tame even severe acne flare-ups in as little as one week. According to University of Texas researchers, turmeric is packed with curcumin -- an antioxidant that penetrates deeply into pores, where it kills bacteria, squashes inflammation and speeds healing.
Try it: Mix two tablespoons of turmeric with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil to make a thick paste. Spread it onto pimples, leave on for eight minutes and then rinse well. Don't leave the paste on longer than eight minutes or it could leave a slight yellowish stain. If the area around your pimple is left with a yellow tint, rub with a little lemon juice then rewash to remove the color.
2. Prevent Flakiness with Coconut
Load up on watermelon to look younger this summer.Of course, you should slather on plenty of SPF 30+ sunscreen all summer long -- year-round, really -- to help prevent aging sun damage and skin cancer. But compounds in summer-fresh fruits and veggies also have anti-aging benefits to boost your skin's natural resilience against wrinkles and sun damage. Pick up these four goodies next time you're at the farmers' market:
Related: Is your sunscreen safe?
- Cherries: Eat a daily handful and you may enjoy fresher, less puffy skin. It's all thanks to the inflammation-fighting anthocyanins and melatonin in cherries, according to Allison Tannis, author of Feed Your Skin, Starve Your Wrinkles. Melatonin may boost UV protection and cell growth as well -- two great ways to keep wrinkles at bay. Tart cherries tend to be highest in melatonin.
- Nectarines: These smooth-skinned sisters of the peach provide a mini-spa's worth of nutrients that may help correct sun damage from the inside out, according to Tannis. They offer skin
- FITNESS Magazine | Summer Shape-Up – Tue, Jun 5, 2012 1:26 PM EDT
Joseph Montezinos/Fitness MagazineBy Hallie Levine SklarRead More »from 10 Tips to a Great Body No Matter How Busy You Are
You want to work out today. You really do. But what with groceries to pick up, personal calls to make that you didn't get to at work, a dog that needs to go to the vet, and a billion other responsibilities, your motivation is fizzling. We get it -- in fact, we've been there many times. Here, an entire month's worth of smart advice on how to work out no matter what, from top fitness experts and real women who find time for fitness on an (almost) daily basis.
Related: 6 Ways to Find More Time for Yourself
1. Do it in the morning!
Nothing major has likely cropped up yet -- hey, it's only 7 a.m. Now is the time to get in that run or yoga DVD. In fact, research suggests that women who work out in the morning stick with their programs more successfully than those who don't. Not a morning person? Become one. (We know: It's painful at first, but it's worth it.) "The longer you wait in the day to work out, the more excuses you can find to put it off," says Carol Espel,
There's a popular saying among fitness experts: "The best exercise is the one you're not doing." The take-home message? To achieve the best results, you need to regularly challenge your body in new ways. So while classic movements like the pushup, lunge, and squat are the staples of any good workout plan, varying the way you perform these exercises every 4 weeks can help you avoid plateaus, beat boredom, and speed fat loss. You can start today, with this list of the best new exercises for every part of a woman's body.Read More »from The Best New Exercises You’re Not Doing
Fitness Rules You Can Break
Mountain Climber with Hands on Swiss Ball
The benefit: It's one of the simplest yet most effective ways to tighten your tummy. In fact, you'll barely have to move a muscle.
How to do it: Assume a pushup position with your arms completely straight, but place your hands on a Swiss ball instead of the floor. Your body should form a straight line from your head to your ankles. Tighten your core and hold it that way for the duration of the
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST