Breakfast in the Sky on the Ferris wheel at Morey's Piers wins our award for most nutso location to serve a meal this season. The wheel on the Jersey Shore is 156 feet high, the tables have white linen table cloths, and brunch items include shrimp and lobster omelets, Belgian waffles, and a Cuban-spiced steak and egg scramble. The idea belonged to pier founder, Will Morey, and his sons are now making the whimsical wish come to life. Each car seats up to four, and that friend we all had, the one who rocked the Ferris wheel seats regardless of how much we hollered, she's not invited.
According to the recent article we ran on the 10 weirdest restaurants in the world, it is also possible to eat among tree branches in Costa Rica and Thailand, in a snow castle in Finland, underwater in the Maldives, and at a suspended table all over the world, but because of its pier appeal, Breakfast in the Sky is our favorite idea for this summer.
The cost for two is $86. Would you go for it?
Breakfast in the Sky on the Ferris wheel at Morey's Piers wins our award for most nutso location to serve a meal this season. The wheel on the Jersey Shore is 156 feet high, the tables have white linen table cloths, and brunch items include shrimp and lobster omelets, Belgian waffles, and a Cuban-spiced steak and egg scramble. The idea belonged to pier founder, Will Morey, and his sons are now making the whimsical wish come to life. Each car seats up to four, and that friend we all had, the one who rocked the Ferris wheel seats regardless of how much we hollered, she's not invited.Read More »from The craziest place to eat this summer
You know the story: Kids love dirt. So why not thicken the plot and start a family garden?
Author (Clean Food, Clean Start), James Beard Foundation award nominee, mom, and clean-living expert Terry Walters has tips on doing it from the ground up.
Start with the fun stuff ... and kale.
Sugar snap peas, strawberries, and green beans are perfect for little mouths and fingers. Kids also love carrots, because they see only green growing above ground and are surprised when the veggie is harvested. Make kale enticing by adding it to sauce, soup, stir-fry, mac 'n' cheese, or even smoothies.
Buy seeds beyond the hardware store.Read More »from How to Start a Family Garden With Your Kids
A number of online resources make seed ordering a breeze. The most well known is Seed Savers Exchange. Other favorites include Seeds of Change, Johnny's Selected Seeds, and Fedco. Walters also hits local farms. For a list of those in your area, go to LocalHarvest
While the rest of the nation is shivering in fear thanks to Shark Week, here are the real-life reasons why mothers are afraid to go near the water while on summer vacation.
1. The Pool Shut Down - On a packed, pefect summer Saturday, the lifeguard's announcement of "There's been a poop in the pool, please evacuate!" is thanks to your child's swim diaper fail. And everyone knows it.
2. The Torturous Tunes - Your pool plays exactly two CDs - Steve Miller and Jimmy Buffett. And while summery and amusing the first few plays, pretty soon that space cowboy eating his cheeseburger in paradise is driving you to margaritaville.
3. The Waxing Amnesiatic -You have worked out for months and searched for weeks for the perfect swimsuit. However, upon strutting along the crowded beach you realize you forgot one very crucial grooming step.
4. The Crisis Call - You are deplaned, unpacked and your first frozen fruity drink is poured. TooRead More »from 10 Family Summer Vacation Horrors
- The_Stir | Summer Time Fun – Mon, Aug 1, 2011 10:48 PM EDT
Ice cream sandwiches are one of the all-time most incredible summer treats. So incredible, in fact, that they have their own day. National Ice Cream Sandwich Day is August 2, and what better way to celebrate than to eat a bunch.
More from The Stir: 5 Grilled Desserts To Save Room For This Summer
Sure you could whip up some fancy homemade ice cream sandwiches, and those would be great. But there's also an incredible selection of them right in your grocer's freezer -- just peel (the wrapper off) and eat. In preparation for this most delicious holiday, here are the five best ice cream sandwiches on the market.
Breyers Smooth & Dreamy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwiches These are my favorite when it comes to a lighter version of this delicious treat. The cookies provide enough salt to complement the sweet, and they're big enough to be filling. With 160 calories and 4 grams of fat, they won't do much diet damage either ... unless you snarf down the whole box.
- Parentables | Summer Time Fun – Mon, Aug 1, 2011 7:15 PM EDT
This post was written by Michelle Duggar.
We recently went on book tour with our family on our bus. One of the neat things about this trip was that it was our youngest, Josie's, first road trip with us (and she did really good). Here are some of our favorite snack and meal ideas for road trips.
When it comes to snacks we reuse animal cracker buckets that we get from Sam's, the ones with the screw-on lids. They're airtight, and they're plastic, so they can't break, and they're big. So we usually have a bucket of animal crackers, a bucket of little whales or goldfish, and then a bucket of pretzels. We don't eat a lot of cookies and junk food. Animal crackers, Goldfish and pretzels -- that's the extent of our junk food.
We always try to take dill pickles, because that's our favorite snack. And so we will pack a lot of jars of pickles. We also love green beans, straight out of the can! We drain them, put them on a plate, and we spritz them with vinegar and put a little saltRead More »from Michelle Duggar: How to fill 19 hungry bellies on a road trip
- Claudine Zap | Summer Time Fun – Fri, Jul 29, 2011 1:26 AM EDTPrince Charles and his bride, Diana, Princess of Wales, on the way out of St. Paul's Cathedral at the end of their wedding ceremony on July 29, 1981 in London. (AP Photo) By Claudine Zap
A fairy-tale romance between a prince and his princess-to-be. A sparkling sapphire and diamond engagement ring. A wedding watched around the world. Sounds like the royal wedding of Kate and Will. But actually, this royal wedding took place 30 years ago: On July 29, 1981, Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer. In many ways, it was the wedding that changed the world. Here, a look at the legacy.
Diana arrived in a glass, horse-drawn coach. The couple married at St. Paul's Cathedral in front of 3,500 guests. Outside, a crowd of 600,000 well-wishers filled the streets. And a global audience of 750 million tuned in to watch the wedding on TV -- the largest ever for such an event.
The 20-year-old bride wore an elaborate Emmanuel design with a 25-foot-long train (that was copied for years after she appeared in it), and memorably flubbed her 32-year-old groom's name when saying her vows, calling him Philip Charles instead of Charles Philip.
After the ceremony,Read More »from Diana and Charles: A look back to other royal wedding that captivated the world
Believe it or not the summer is winding down and that means it's time to squeeze in one last family vacation before school starts. We've scoured the nation for fun, unique family-friendly vacation spots and we've come back with phenomenal locations across the country.
Read More »from 5 Last-Minute Family Vacation Ideas
By Grayson Schaffer and Josh Dean, GQ
There are 170 dog breeds, but these four are the only ones you need to know. Whether you want a booze-brunch companion, a half-buddy/half-babysitter mix, or the canine version of Paul Bunyan, we've got the right breed for you.
Summer's half over? Says who? Some of us are just getting into the swing of vacation! No one wants to contemplate summer's end when it seems like the fun has only just begun. If you agree, just look away quickly, put your fingers in your ears and sing "lalala."
On the other hand, summer vacation for parents with small children is something of an oxymoron. Those of us who have been keeping the kids busy and amused for the past month are well aware of how many more days remain on the calendar until school starts. We've been cooking up outings, activities, visits to friends and relatives, not to mention picnics and meals, and, frankly, we're a bit exhausted! Most of all, we're in need of some new ideas for making the most of our remaining days of summer.
And how better to find a few fresh ideas than by asking our fellow Savvy parents? Here's what they suggest:
Create a homemade seashell picture frame to remember your precious memories at the beach.Read More »from Summer's Half Over... Now What?
- Kwala Mandel | Summer Time Fun – Mon, Jul 25, 2011 1:11 AM EDT
Randall and Evans/Courtesy Mike Pierce PhotographyWhen New Jersey massage therapist Ericka Randall first met Patrick Evans, she was in a bad mood. She was turning 30, and all her friends had forgotten her birthday. She connected with Evans, now 42, on a music social networking site. He had no photo posted and she didn't know much about the health care worker from Pennsylvania, but she found herself venting to him about her disappointment. To her surprise, the kind stranger she met online volunteered to make up for her disappointment and plan her a 30th birthday. "He had flowers and a 'happy 30th birthday' sign and surprised me by reserving a section of the restaurant." His thoughtful gesture won her over and on 06-07-08 - the day of the birthday party - the couple officially began dating.Read More »from Couple follows 06-07-08 first date with 09-10-11 wedding
The serendipitous alignment didn't end there. As they were getting to know one another, the music aficionados had odd coincidences like naming their favorite songs at the exact same moment (both simultaneously blurted out the Eric Benet song, "The
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST