celebrate his birthday on June 11 in a big way, so he turned to his friends for ideas -- ended up marking the day with random acts of kindness, including handing out free money to people passing by.
"I asked a bunch of my friends on Facebook what should I do on my 65th and I got a whole long list of stuff," he told KFOR-TV. "And one of my friends said, 'Why don't you do 65 random acts of kindness?'"
Related: Family makes good on dying family member's last wish: Leave $500 tip
So that's exactly what he did, spending 65 minutes standing on the corner of NW 39th Street and May Avenue in Oklahoma City, handing out $5 bills to people who passed by. He told his Facebook friends that he handed out more than $375, but the response -- and the amount of good cheer he shared -- was priceless.
From a distance, Eaton looked a bit like any other panhandler holding a sign at a street corner. But instead of a plea for money, his sign read: "I have a home… and a car… and a
- Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor, Yahoo! Shine | Work + Money – Fri, Jul 13, 2012 1:44 PM EDT
celebrate his birthday on June 11 in a big way, so he turned to his friends for ideas -- ended up marking the day with random acts of kindness, including handing out free money to people passing by.Doug Eaton wanted to Read More »from Man Celebrates 65th Birthday by Giving Away Free Money
- Astrology.com FinanceScopes | Work + Money – Fri, Jul 13, 2012 1:38 PM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Only give the least amount of information necessary to get your point across. Dole it out bit by precious bit and wait for a response. Once you are clear, keep the rest for yourself!
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Karma Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
You're letting your thoughts get ahead of you -- way ahead. Confidence is a good thing, but dreaming of only success is foolish. Dream up a contingency plan instead today. Start coming up with a Plan B, C, D or even E.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Extreme Makeover Tarot Reading
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily FinanceScopes -- Monday July 16, 2012
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
You know exactly what's going on all around you -- but do you know what's going on right under your own nose? Don't indulge in procrastination. You need to stop being so interested in other people's business and focus on the
Lion's share of a family's budget goes towards groceries. Though some adjustments in grocery spending can be made, it still remains an item of heavy expenditure. However, if you are careful and follow the following tips, you will be able to curtail your spending on groceries.
If you are already thrifty, some of the tips may be quite known to you. I am sure there will be others who have no idea how to control spending on groceries. These tips are for them.
1) Check prices before buying things. One mistake people generally make is to buy whatever they see first. Look for cheaper products and compare the prices with other shops. High prices do not mean that the goods are of very high quality. Don't be ashamed of asking prices and bargaining. The items you see easily are normally the ones that cost more.
2) Some shops advertise sale of special items to attract customers. When the customers go the shops, there will be no specials to beRead More »from 13 Smart Tips to Save on Your Groceries Shopping
- Comedy Action | Work + Money – Fri, Jul 13, 2012 2:39 AM EDT
- Good Housekeeping | Work + Money – Thu, Jul 12, 2012 4:03 PM EDT
Get your free credit reportThe advice from financial gurus is to check your credit report regularly to be sure there are no inaccuracies and that the only lines of credit in your name are ones that you've taken out (i.e., that your identity hasn't been stolen). Still, even if you're pretty sure nothing will be amiss, actually requesting a report is a scary proposition. Here are some facts I learned when I checked mine for the first time that can reduce the fear factor:
Access your report through the site that's actually free: annualcreditreport.com. It's a joint venture from the three credit-reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, and Transunon), which are each required by law to provide you free access to your credit file once per calendar year. You can also call 877-322-8228, and there's even a snailmail option - but if you've worked up the nerve, why prolong the process?
Related: 7 Ways to Get a Better Credit Score
Know what kind of information you'll find on the document. The three bureausRead More »from Why You Should (Really) Get Your Free Credit Report
- Astrology.com FinanceScopes | Work + Money – Thu, Jul 12, 2012 2:35 PM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Making your financial goals is great and all, but if you can't hold onto your money then it's all just one big exercise. Focus on making your worth a thing of semi-permanence -- don't spend it as fast as you bring it in.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Karmic Love Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
As daring and romantic as you a may feel, it's being practical that proves how loyal and devoted you really are. Plodding along and playing it safe may not be the same as swooping in to save the day, but it proves you are a real hero. Keep on putting one foot in front of the other.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Intimacy Secrets Reading
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily FinanceScopes -- Friday July 13, 2012
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
Don't think of every purchase as an opening to a new life. That kind of change can only happen on a less superficial level.
Summer resolutions - don't they seem as though they're made to be broken?
It's a discouraging thought, but what if you were able to buck that trend in 2007? To increase your chances for success, here are a whole bunch of money-related resolutions that most of us can't afford to break.
If you follow through on just one or two of these, you'll unavoidably improve your bottom line in the summer time.
1. Slash the incidentals. Carefully read through one of your credit-card statements, staying on the lookout for ongoing monthly fees that you may have utterly forgotten about. Cancel any club memberships you don't use and magazine subscriptions you don't read. And if necessary, resolve to stop spending hard-earned money on lottery tickets.
2. Pay yourself first. This is a good time for an honest self-analysis: What have your saving habits been like in the past year? If it seems like all the money you make fallsRead More »from 10 Summer Resolutions for Saving Money
30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30."I think I was 23 when I read it for the first time: Glamour's now-infamous "Read More »from 30 Things You Don’t Have to Have by 30
Well, this is excellent, I thought. With seven years to go, I already had things like "one friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry" and knowledge of "the names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town."
And I had plenty of time to work toward the rest. And with my head start, I could focus my energy on my own list of "30 before 30" goals-which included publishing a best-seller and traveling to a good 75% of the world's countries. Obviously.
A few weeks ago, with my 30th birthday quickly approaching, I read that list again. And I panicked. How do I feel about having kids? I don't even know how I feel about having houseplants! I'm supposed to have a cordless drill? The only tools I have to my name are a hammer and that metal thing used to put together IKEA furniture!
By Scott Cohn, CNBC.comRead More »from America’s Best States to Live In
Top States for Quality of Life
The best places to do business are also the best places to live. At least that's how many states market themselves to the public. CNBC's Top States for Business study found quality of life is among the most frequently mentioned selling points in state economic development campaigns. That's why quality of life is one of the most important categories in our study of America's Top States for Business, worth 350 out of 2,500 possible points.
Sure, quality of life is in the eye of the beholder. Some people would rather live in the city; others prefer the country. Some love sunshine year round, others like four seasons. But there are plenty of objective measures most of us can agree on when it comes to a quality place to live.
We scored the states on several factors, including local attractions, the crime rate, as well as air and water quality and pollution. We looked at access to recreational areas. And we
Credit CardsNo one likes to spend more money than they have to -- whether it's for a snazzy new pair of shoes or an everyday purchase such as gasoline.Read More »from Slash Your Interest Rates with These Magic Words
While you can't make an offer at the mall or haggle at the pump, there is room for negotiation when it comes to the interest rate on the credit card you might be using to make those purchases.
You can dramatically lower your credit card's annual percentage rate, or APR, with a single phone call. But first, you'll have to do a bit of prep work and know the right words to use.
Credit card companies generally aren't looking for ways to do you any favors, but pulling your phone out of your pocket, dialing an 800 number and asking the right questions could be all it takes to convince the company to slash your high rate. If you carry a balance from month to month, that decrease will save you some serious cash.
Let's say you owe $5,000 on a credit card with an 18.9% APR and you make monthly payments of $150. Assuming you don't add to the balance, you
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST