You can find salt on just about anyone's table, but the basic ingredient can be used in so many smart ways other than seasoning your food. A bag of salt also costs around $1, making it a smart staple to have on hand.
- Egg Checker: Add two teaspoons to one cup of water, and let dissolve. Fresh eggs will sink, and bad eggs will float.
- Fruit Helper: Instead of reaching for citrus, sprinkle a dusting of salt over fruits to keep them from browning. And the hardly there salt actually accentuates the fruit's flavor.
- Bad-Smell Eliminator: After chopping garlic or onions, rub your fingers with salt to get rid of any lingering smells.
- Cheese-Life Extender: Extend the life of cheese by wrapping it in a cloth moistened with salt water.
- Baked-On Mess Remover: If your casserole bubbles over, sprinkle the bottom of your oven with a handful of salt over the spill. It won't smoke and will bake into a crust that's easier to