- Babble.com | Work + Money – Fri, Nov 1, 2013 12:56 PM EDTI used to be tempted to spend every single cent I had. Now though, I've come to appreciate the value of having cash on hand. When you calculate your monthly budget, you should always budget out enough cash to have a bit of cash on hand. Not only does this help you control your spending and stick to your budget, it will also ensure you have the cash when you need it. Something about having to spend cold, hard cash is such a different experience mentally than simply swiping a debit card. Check out the 7 reasons below to always have cash on hand. - By Anna Newell Jones Read More »from Making it Rain: 7 Reasons Why It's Important to Keep Cash on Hand
- Babble.com | Work + Money – Fri, Nov 1, 2013 12:38 PM EDTfinancially preparedLike with most tedious tasks, one of the most daunting parts of financially preparing for a tragedy is the anticipation leading up to it. It can be stressful to plan a teeth cleaning, let alone to plan for a possible tragedy. But the best way to get it done is to dive in headfirst and start getting organized. Here's how:
1. Examine your life insurance options.Read More »from 4 Essential Steps to Financially Prepare for a Tragedy
Why take out life insurance? The main reason to do it is if you have dependents (e.g., your spouse or children) and you don't have enough assets to provide for them after you're gone. It can protect your loved ones from having to take on the burden of repaying your debts, helping them stay secure in their own finances. Do online research to determine the best life insurance plan for you. Life insurance gets more expensive as you get older, so start early. The idea is to have life insurance when you're young - when you typically have less money and fewer assets - and
- Astrology.com FinanceScopes | Work + Money – Fri, Nov 1, 2013 11:53 AM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Things may not be going wrong, but you feel -- and act -- as if they are. Block out all of your subliminal heavy business today and try to see things as they really are. They're not as dire as your emotions would lead you to believe.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Personal Astrology Profile
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
It's a bad day for sharing resources. People you are dealing with are feeling possessive, competitive and jealous -- not the ideal group to expect an equal exchange with! Pretend you are playing with children too young to know not to throw sand, and make decisions accordingly.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Maya-Aztec Reading
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily FinanceScopes -- Monday November 4, 2013
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
You have a lot of great ideas, but you're all over the place with them. You need to regroup today. Make your goal getting something -- one thing -- accomplished today rather than thinking the sky's the limit. You need to take one step at a
Our smartphones are, for the most part, one of our most prized possessions. We guard them with all that we have, protecting our emails, our text conversations, and our means to finding directions, well, anywhere - so it seems mandatory to also protect them from every day wear and tear, scratches, falls, spills, etc. Why not outfit our devices in style? Rock out your smartphone with a design that fits your style and personality, from funky fabric to retro graphics. Check out these 7 different smartphone cases, designed for almost every personality type.
-By Jessie Nuez
MORE ON BABBLE
Read More »from Always Use Protection: 7 Funky Fresh IPhone Cases
- Claudine Zap | Work + Money – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 1:36 PM EDT
Teavana Teas (Photo: Starbucks)
Sorry extra-hot, tall soy cappuccino: You are so last year.
Coffee giant Starbucks launched its first Teavana Fine Teas + Tea Bar earlier this month. The swank store, located on Manhattan’s tony Upper East Side, is the first for Starbucks since it bought the chain in late 2012.
More on Yahoo Shine: Man Spreads Joy by Treating Cancer Patients to Starbucks
And yes, there will be more. Many more. In an interview with Forbes magazine, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz said to expect 1,000 more Teavana tea bars around the country in the next five years.
Sure, 1,000 is a big number but make no mistake — Teavana will still be Starbucks’ little brother. As of this year, there were more than 19,000 Starbucks retail stores in over 60 countries.
Anyone looking for a cup of java at Teavana will be sorely disappointed: This joint doesn't have an espresso maker. But the company is betting that the tea bar — with its custom drinks, high-end look, and “tea-inspired food,” will bring in tea drinkers who Read More »from Espresso? No Thanks — Tea Is the Next Big Thing for Starbucks
- Babble.com | Work + Money – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 12:51 PM EDTI admit, I'm intrigued by Why We (heart) Vampires, what NBC is promising is a "collection of fun, comedic interviews accompanied by entertaining clips from our favorite vampire moments" to air this Friday, November 1, at 8pm EDT. This hour-long special will hold a mix of conversations with some of "Hollywood's greatest vampire experts," including author Anne Rice, True Blood's Kristin Bauer and Carrie Preston, Cassandra Peterson (aka Elvira, Mistress of the Dark), and James Marsters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I suppose if there is a time for a vampire show - even a funny one - it's one day after Halloween and one before All Soul's Day. Convenient week to celebrate the undead all around, right? So I got to thinking: Why DO we heart vampires? What's so compelling about an immortal figure that feeds on the blood of humans and maybe a rat from time to time? Let's check out the most iconic undead characters in television and film. There are a bunch, from Bram Stoker's horror stories to Read More »from Best Actor in a Bleeding Role: 7 Iconic Vampires from TV and Movies
- Astrology.com FinanceScopes | Work + Money – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 11:53 AM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
If your partners are less than pleased with you, it shouldn't be hard to figure out their beef. It all comes back to money -- but of course! Being selfish may pay at the moment, but it's fleeting. Try to be fair instead.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Friends and Lovers Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
It's not enough to be greedy or lazy -- they want you to do the same. It's easier than you think to get out of their clutches, Taurus. Today's the day you free yourself up for better, more profitable attitudes and ways of living.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Past Life Reading
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
You can tear through a To Do list that would overwhelm a mere mortal. You're on top of your game today, and making the most of it. Use this day of high energy to boost your bottom line -- while you can!
Today's Gemini Reading: Free Sample Love Meter
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily FinanceScopes -- Friday November 1, 2013
Cancer (June 22 - July 22)
- Babble.com | Work + Money – Thu, Oct 31, 2013 11:03 AM EDTHalloween is not just a day to celebrate candy, black cats, not-so-scary witches, and the ability to wear pretty much whatever anyone wants anywhere, from the street to the office to school. It also happens to be the birthday of many stars of film, television, music, and the cultural arts. I feel a certain solidarity with these Halloween birthday celebrities, because I know from experience that holiday birthdays can be tricky. My birthday is December 27. Two days after Christmas can be a dicey time to celebrate anything that isn't directly related to that major holiday. I don't think that Halloween kids (or grown-ups, for that matter) have it quite so bad. (And no, I didn't have it that bad. Work with me, here.) School is definitely in session this week, so the odds that they get to see their friends are pretty high. Plus all bets are off as far as sugar consumption goes, not just at school, but in most neighborhoods, too. Halloween is a great big party, so no matter how old you are, Read More »from Happy Halloween Birthday! 7 Celebs Who Were Born on October 31
- Source: Turn Your Coffee Filter Into a Juicer
If you're hankering for some freshly squeezed orange juice, reach for a coffee filter for a quick glass of goodness. It's as easy as peeling the orange (use the peels to make a DIY scent diffuser), placing orange sections into two or three stacked coffee filters, and gently squeezing over a glass. The result? Pulp-free juice that's wonderfully fresh.
Check out other simple and helpful life hacks:
- Happy Jar: Save an empty jar and "fill it with notes of good things that happen" this year. Then, next year, you can empty the jar and "see what awesome stuff happened that year."
- Chill Wine With Frozen Grapes: Chill white wine with frozen grapes so you're not watering it down.
- Leave Recipient Email Field Blank: When writing an email, leave the recipient email field blank until you're ready to send it. This prevents accidental emails.
- Run a Post-It Through Your Keyboard: Before you throw a used Post-it in the trash can, use
- Source: 15 Amazing Uses For Baby Powder
A bottle of baby powder only costs a buck at the dollar store, which makes it a great budget-friendly investment for tucking under your sink. You'll be amazed with all the helpful ways you can use this fresh-smelling powder around your home.
- Pet cleaner: Get your pet clean using baby powder as a dry shampoo, which will leave him smelling nice and fresh without having to toss him in the tub.
- Cool sheets: On hot summer nights, sprinkle baby powder over the sheets to keep them nice and cool. And the powder will absorb any sweat, making for a refreshing night's sleep.
- Absorb grease: The next time you dribble some grease on your favorite shirt or edge of the carpet, sprinkle with baby powder. It absorbs the oil and refreshes the fabric.
- Refresh books: Give old books new life by sprinkling them with baby powder. It absorbs the moisture, getting rid of any mold, and leaves books fresh.
- Plump lashes: Dust baby powder over
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- Dinner Tonight: Broccoli Apple Soup + Raw Kale SaladWed, Dec 4, 2013 10:31 AM EST
- Christmas Thumbprint CookiesWed, Dec 4, 2013 1:18 PM EST
- Christmas Cake Pops Are Our Gift to YouWed, Dec 4, 2013 2:33 PM EST