By Daniel Bukszpan, CNBC.com
Five Signs You May Get Laid OffAnyone who thought the job market was getting back to normal received a nasty shock on Monday when Goldman Sachs laid off approximately 50 people, many of them managing directors. These and other layoffs may have caused some people to wonder if they might be the next ones on the chopping block.
CNBC.com spoke with human resource experts to find out the five tell-tale signs that you may need to update your resume.
1. Mergers. According to career coach Cheryl Palmer, mergers that result in duplicated job functions can spell trouble. "If you have a position that has a counterpart in the acquiring company, your job could be very much in danger," she told CNBC.com in an e-mail. "Generally speaking, the acquiring company will eliminate duplicate positions."
2. Passed Over for Promotion. Fred Cooper of Compass HR Consulting told CNBC.com that if "you are passed over for an internal promotion where your qualifications (not just seniority and longevity) are in fact
By Daniel Bukszpan, CNBC.comRead More »from 5 Signs You May Get Laid Off
- Astrology.com | Work + Money – Thu, Jun 7, 2012 1:34 PM EDT
Does Your Sun Sign's Element Make You a Saver ... or a Spender?Read More »from Does Your Sun Sign's Element Make You a Saver ... Or a Spender?
Do you stash away money like it's going out of style? Or does your spending behavior lean toward showing no concern for long-term security? Your Sun sign's element may hold the answer!
Fire signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius) tend to be in-the-moment people with an unshakeable belief that money will always be there when they need it. Their belief is: Why should I deprive myself today when my guardian angel will swoop in to help tomorrow? These signs are not the best when it comes to strategic planning, so money doesn't concern them much ... unless they run short, of course.
Improve your finances and love life -- simply by removing clutter and changing the way you decorate -- with a free sample Love And Money Feng Shui Reading!
Earth signs (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn) are well rooted in the material universe and realize full well that money is a finite resource. They budget with an eye toward unexpected emergencies and long-range financial goals. They can certainly be indulgent from time to
- Astrology.com FinanceScopes | Work + Money – Thu, Jun 7, 2012 12:55 PM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
You're searching for peace, but you won't find it in any of the ways you're looking for it. As long as you can check financial security, retirement and rainy day funds off of your list, then put all thoughts of money on the back burner and start looking elsewhere for what you seek.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Personal Astrology Profile
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
You may have swallowed a bitter pill recently but you're beyond all that today. You're staying in the present when you're not looking toward the future. The only thing can hold you back is your own self-doubt, so don't let it creep in.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Karmic Love Reading
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily FinanceScopes -- Friday June 8, 2012
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
Someone has already been generous toward you but you need them to give at an even deeper level. Don't
By Locke Hughes
swimming teacher with students at poolRita Goldberg, 62, Sunrise, FL, turned her lifelong passion for the pool into a thriving business that's teaching kids how to swim safely. Photo credit: Keith Lathrop/Hair and Makeup by Georgette Rojas
British Swim School, with locations in FL, MD and IL
Schools that teach skills plus safety
$2.2 million in sales last year
Turn your clutter into cash.
Her Success Secrets
DO WHAT YOU LOVE. Rita swam competitively in Britain until she was a teen, but it didn't cross her mind to turn her hobby into a career until years later. "One day I accompanied a friend to her child's swim lesson, and as soon as I saw the coach interacting with the kids, I knew that's what I wanted to do for the rest of my life," Rita remembers. She quit her teaching job and opened her own swim school. "Each day I go to work excited to help my students learn skills they'll always have," she says.
FILL A NEED. "When I startedRead More »from How to Start a Swim School
- The Daily Muse | Work + Money – Thu, Jun 7, 2012 11:25 AM EDT
If you've been promoted to management for the first time, you're probably stoked about your new gig, ready to take charge, and, let's be honest, contemplating how to spend your first new paycheck.
But, if you're like most, you're also feeling pretty terrified. While graduating to management is a huge accomplishment, it's also the beginning of a pretty huge challenge. Not quite sure where to start? Get off on the right foot with these steps for a smooth transition.
1. Get SmartFirst off, make it your personal mission to learn everything you can-believe me, this is the big key to success as a new manager. Seek out the management tools, resources, and classes that your company offers. Some organizations have formal supervisor training, and nearly all have manuals and HR policies. Read them, digest them, and keep them on your bookshelf. You should also do some digging and learn more about each of the people you'll be managing. Review their personnel files, their resumes, and their Read More »from You're the Boss -- Now What? 7 To-Dos as a First-Time Manager
Host of Yahoo's "Financially Fit" and personal finance expert Farnoosh Torabi sits down with Alesha Renee to dish on the five things women need to know about their household finances.
- Kendra Leah | Work + Money – Thu, Jun 7, 2012 10:01 AM EDT
Once again, writers beware! The same people who copied the legitimate ContentProz.net website have copied another legitimate website, Articlebat.com. The scam website is Articlebat.org. I received an almost identical email as the first scam from Kate Smith and Allison Smith offering $625 per week to write articles, only this time the company name was Articlebat.org. These people are copying legitimate writing services websites in hopes of either gaining access to your Paypal account or using your articles without ever paying you.
I first posted about the ContentProz scam because it was very hard to find anything negative about the company since there is a legitimate company and the perpetrators had copied their website. Judging by the number of comments that article received, it is doing its job and we are raising awareness.
Please keep spreading the word about this scam. Below are some keywords that you should watch out for.
- Kate Smith
- The Daily Muse | Work + Money – Wed, Jun 6, 2012 2:29 PM EDT
It's the day before your interview, and your mind starts racing. What is the company going to be like? What types of people will you meet? Will you fit in?
Stay calm, dear interviewee. To ease your pre-interview jitters-and to give yourself a leg up-throw on your Angela Lansbury hat and do some spying on the company. The more information you have ahead of time, the better you can plot your strategy, go in feeling confident, and rock your interview. Believe me, most interviewees don't do much of this research-but you can, and it'll give you an extra edge.
Step 1: Ask the Right QuestionsBefore your interview, get a list of the people you're meeting with from the company. Hopefully, they'll give you this information without asking, but if not, don't be shy-it's completely normal to request it. On top of that, if you've built a good relationship with the recruiter or the person scheduling your interview, use that relationship to your advantage. Ask her if there's anything you should Read More »from I Spy: How to Scope Out a Company Before the Interview
- Astrology.com FinanceScopes | Work + Money – Wed, Jun 6, 2012 12:44 PM EDT
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Something inside you makes you feel perpetually dissatisfied, but that's not such a bad thing. You light your own fire and it has you wanting more -- more money, more status, more responsibility. Today is all about gobbling up as much as you can get.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Intimacy Secrets Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
You won't win any popularity contests today, that much is clear, but you may earn a buck or two while you wipe away your tears. Money may not be everything but it goes a long way toward making things palatable -- today. In fact, it's not a bad booby prize at all.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Numerology One-Year Forecast
Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily FinanceScopes -- Thursday June 7, 2012
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
You're slow to act today, which is a good thing. You're spending more of your time and energy on observing
Powerhouse ad exec Margaret Keene has produced some of the most game-changing commercials in history, including Apple's "Think Different" campaign. Now she reveals how much has changed since the industry's Mad Men days. By Laurie Sandell
Margaret KeeneYou spent your entire career at one agency before jumping to Saatchi last year. What prompted the move?
I'd been at Chiat\Day for 20 years, climbing up the ladder, nose to the grindstone. I had tons of clients, amazing teams, and lots of friends. Then I had a great meeting with Kevin Roberts, Saatchi's worldwide CEO. I hadn't had a new mentor in a long time, and I needed a life change. It was very painful to leave, but when someone says, "You have more to learn. Take my hand, we're going to create new brands, we are going to create new experiences," you say, "Yes."
How has the transition been?Read More »from The Biggest Industry Secrets from a Top Ad Exec
During my first few months, I was at a very important internal meeting and had to leave for my 8-year-old daughter's dance performance. Things
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST